It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

elfpranks HB User
Bunion surgery recovery

Hello. I had bunion surgery on March 18th. It has been 2 1/2 weeks now. I had what is considered a minor surgery. The bone was cut just above the big toe, repositioned and a screw was inserted to hold the bone. They also shaved the bump. I would appreciate comments on how long before you can walk in the boot (Aircast) after surgery. My doctor said immediately. Sure if I could stand the pain but in reality, how long until the foot has healed enough to walk without crutches. Right now I put the boot on and in the morning when the swelling is down, I can put a small amount of pressure on the heel of the boot (while using crutches of course). Also, has anyone experienced pain 2 weeks post op ....My foot feels okay during the day, sore but not painful. Once the evening comes around it jolts me with pain periodically throughout the evening. I feel that I should not require a pain pill at this point but have to take them in the evening to avoid the uncomfortable sensations. Any suggestions or comments? Would love to hear from those who have been there.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
(female)

cookie44 HB User
Re: Bunion surgery recovery

I had a similar procedure Feb. 5th and in 3 weeks or so was walking in the boot without crutches. My doctor never suggested I would be walking unaided right away though.

When I first started walking with the boot (and no crutches) though honestly the biggest hurdle was I guess just my own fear. I didn't think I could do it or was convinced it would really hurt but once I just did it and accepted that I could it was much better. It wasn't comfortable at first but got better the more I did. It wasn't excruciatingly painful or anything but definite discomfort. On of the important things I think to keep in mind, and discuss with your dr, is to strike the right balance between not doing anything painful that would do harm but at the same time not sit idle overly long as muscles atrophy, you lose range of motion, etc.

Start slow, you won't be able to just walk all of a sudden. I found it best to make my attempts earlier in the day before I got too sore or swollen.

For me, once I was comfortable walking in the boot (without crutches), which took a week or two of transition, I moved on to a surgical shoe. Again about a week or two of transition from boot to surgical shoe and then moved to a sneaker. Not sure if your dr will prescribe the same but that's how it's been for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
(female)

booredwalker HB User

Hang in there! I was wearing a walking shoe 2 weeks after surgery. Swelling is mild till noon & then starts up. I will be starting my 5th week 4/7 and am doing therepy 3 times a week. Not much pain, just swelling! Amazing what they are teaching me. Stretching the toe forward and backward, resistance bands. walking on a slant board & swelling goes down but not for long!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
(female)

elfpranks HB User

Cookie, great input. Thanks so much. I like the common sense approach you have. I am hoping to be walking in the boot within the week. I believe you are right about the fear. I think it is holding me back somewhat... I will try applying more and more weight each day. Sutures came out this morning.. A little late but it does feel better already.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
(female)

elfpranks HB User

Wearing a walking shoe 2 weeks aftery surgery. That's great. I will try putting more weight on the foot each day. I'm thinking I am a whimp... Do you have any hints regarding showering? I got sutures clipped today and must wait 48 hours to shower (get foot wet) and am wondering how you shower and not put weight on the bare foot? The doctor mentioned using the heel for balance.

Last edited by elfpranks; 04-11-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

I used a folding chair in the shower. It wasn't ideal, but I felt more secure.
A bath may be a good idea. I do caution you not to over-do following suture removal I did and had to be nwb for a week. I had osteotomy on both sides of the right foot with pins. I was walking in a surgical shoe, on the heel, right away, but only for the necessities. I was so ready for more mobility, but my eagerness cost me. I'm doing great now and want you to know it will get better. Just don't push yourself because your foot will push back.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
(female)

cookie44 HB User

I have shower doors with a rail on the inside so that helped ease showering. It wasn't easy to shower and not bear weight - I tried things like propping my foot up (on the edge of the tub or wherever you can reach) also so it wouldn't get too swollen just while standing to shower. I worked my way from just using my heel for balance and to give my other leg a little relief to being able to stand on it at least somewhat in the shower.

I know for me showering was critical for being able to wash my hair, otherwise if my hair wasn't dirty a bath was fine. My husband joked that they were the fastest showers I ever took when I was first back to showering - I just couldn't stand for that long easily!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
(female)

elfpranks HB User

Booredwalker, how long after surgery did you begin your physical therapy? Did you find it easier to do therapy earlier in the day while the foot was not quite as swollen?

Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
(female)

booredwalker HB User

ELFPRANKS,

I STARTED THEREPY 4 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY. MY DR. JUMPED ALL OVER ME BECAUSE I HAD VERY LITTLE RANGE OF MOTION IN MY BIG TOE. START EXERCISING EARLY AS DR. PRESCRIBES BECAUSE TOE GETS STIFF QUICKLY! IT IS JUST THE HASSEL OF STOPPING EVERY TWO HOURS TO DO EXCERCISES! I START THEREPY AT 8:45 3 DAYS A WEEK! AS YOU KNOW SWELLING STARTS EARLY IN THE DAY! WHAT WEEK ARE YOU ON? i WILL START 6TH WEEK ON TUESDAY.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
(female)

elfpranks HB User

Booredwalker,
It has been 4 weeks this coming Wed. I seem to be healing a little slower than most. As I mentioned, I am 53 so I'm sure age is a part of it. The other part is that I am a big chicken and there is a fear factor. Just today I was able to put my full weight on the foot without pain. I am walking around on one crutch for the most part and expect I'll be walking soon w/o them. Did you find it hard to find a comfy sock that fit your foot and did not bind or squeeze it?

Last edited by elfpranks; 04-12-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
(female)

cookie44 HB User

I had that problem; for a while I wore my husband's sock on the healing foot. I am a woman's size 7 shoe while he is a men's size 12.5 so big difference!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
(female)

Helen136 HB User

Hi all
I too had a Bunionectomy and Tailor Bunion surgery on March 20th.
The worst part was not the surgery but being bed ridden for a week. I am a little too active for my own good and being confined to bed rest with a elevated foot was too much to handle. There is only so much TV one can watch. I did move around a little using crutches and exactly a week after the surgery I ventured out to the mall for some retail therapy.
The day after my little excursion... I was scolded by my Dr as he removed my stitches. I didnt do damage but he knew I was standing. The following week I complied totally and did not venture out but remained with my foot elevated. By the third week I was allowed to drive and walk but for no longer than 25 minute intervals.
This Friday will be exactly a month and if all looks well, I will get to wear a sneaker/walking shoe and throw away the ugly velcro boot.
I truly loath that ugly boot. It does not accessorize well and being a slave to fashion I could not find any innovative ways to look trendy in it.
I returned to work this Monday and happy to be out of the house. I wear hubbys sock on my foot and it fits fine. The only hinderance is that the boot has about a inch platform and my other normal shoe does not...so the imbalance doesnt help too much.
I do have a question for anyone who can answer. How soon before we can actually wet it again or wash the foot??? I peeked under the bandage and it appears so dry. I tried moisturzing the surrounding area while staying away from the wound. But I cant wait to shower normally.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
(female)

cookie44 HB User

I think was addressed elsewhere but I'll reapeat. The skin on your foot will be very dry for a while and in fact will peel off (so moisturizing won't help a whole lot). It's because your foot swelled so much after...your skin is elsatic enough to stretch when your foot swells after surgery but as the swelling goes down the skin won't really shrink back to normal size so instead it will peel off. Once I could soak my foot, that helped to remove the skin especially since you could easily gently rub off a lot of peeling skin under water (gross - sorry!). The plus is your foot will be super soft and smooth after shedding that skin!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
(female)

Helen136 HB User

Thanks for the reply cookie. I just read the response on the other thread.
Friday(4th week from surgery) I will hopefully be able to wear a shoe and also hoping it means No more bandages. Wont know til I see Dr.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
(female)

elfpranks HB User

Helen136,
You and I had our surgeries just 2 days apart. I was told by my doctor that I could wash the foot 2 or 3 days after I had the stiches removed. I had my stiches out at 3 weeks where most have them removed at 2 weeks post op. Hope this helps....

Closed Thread