It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User
Big Toe Fusion

Hello, I am due to have my third surgery on my left foot next friday (april 17 th). This time it is going to be a big toe fusion. Can anyone please share your experience with me. good or bad. I am really getting scared or nervous or just plain sick to my stomach. I am TERRIFIED of not being able to walk normal. Or to still have the continued daily pain.

So please share any experiences me with. I would greatly appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
(female)

kaflac HB User
Re: Big Toe Fusion

I had my right big toe fusion done jan 3rd 09. Small amout of bone was taken from my heel and two screws put in. Arthritis had damaged my joint and also a big bone spur.

I am a healthy active 57 year old that stays very active with exercise and projects.
This limited my exercise and if I was on my feet for very long I would be in great pain.
The first two weeks after my surgery I was in quite a bit of pain and took pain script every four hours. I had a hard cast for 6 weeks with no weight bearing at all. I had a nifty knee walker that I rented and it was helpful.

After that I went into a removeable boot and started on crutches with weight bearing around 30-40% of my weight.

Today I am wearing a tennis shoe and still walking with crutches. I am experencing a great deal of nerve pain that moves from my heal to the top part of my foot. I still have some swelling and feeling discouraged about how long this process is taking.

I think that this is a lengthly process that I just wasn't emotionally ready for but I trust the doctor and I have faith in a good outcome.

Last edited by kaflac; 04-09-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Hello, thanks for your response. Did you really mean you had your surgery in Jan. 08 or did you mean Jan. 09. Cause if it was Jan. 08 that is a really really long time to be still on crutches. Does your doctor say that is normal? Please let me know. thanks.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

jdm1 HB User

I had a fusion of my big toe in Feb. 04. That was after two unsuccessful surgeries. My fusion was the best thing I did. Hard cast non weight bearing for about 4 weeks. HArd cast weight bearing for another 4 weeks, then a CAM walker for another 4 weeks. Good luck. I wil probably have to get the other foot done and I would do it because the fusion has been great.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User

Was this done by a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon? I had a bunionectomy on April 4, 2008 done by a podiatrist and I am still not right. He may refer me to a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
(female)

kaflac HB User

yes it was 09 ha....seems like 08.
I go to the doc today and will be excited to see what he has to say about the nerve pains I'm having......

Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
(female)

kaflac HB User

I went to a othopedic surgeon.

Thanks and good luck with your healing.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
(female)

kaflac HB User

Glad you had good success....did you have any problems with nerve pain or have to have any physical therapy. was your walking normal after healing?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

May I ask what unsuccessful surgery you had , was it for bunions?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Hello, my unsuccessful sugeries were due to a bunion. Kflac, I am glad your surgery was in 09.

I wish you all happy healing. Please keep me posted, I go next friday for my surgery.

good luck

Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

What problems where you having that lead to the big toe fusion? Was the original surgery done by a podiatrist?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Hello, I am having constant pain when walking. I feel like I am walking on a rock and my toe hurts to bend.

My first surgery was done my a podiatrist and the second was done by an orthopedic surgeon.

My third and I hope final surgery will be done by an orthopedic surgeon.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hey chub, i think i am glad you are doing this, in fact i know i am glad. try to think positive because the pain will go away. i promise. debbie

Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Debbie, I saw the podiatrist Friday. The MRI report says there is no sesmoid fracture. I does however show arthritis. (Thining of the cartiliage in first metatarsal). He gave me another cortisone shot and is referring me to an orthopedic surgeon for his opinion. I am at the end of my rope with this? Any comments?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
(female)

kaflac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubstercat View Post
What problems where you having that lead to the big toe fusion? Was the original surgery done by a podiatrist?
I had arthritis in my joint and a bone spur so it caused pain most of the time. I have the surgery done by and ortho Dr.

Closed Thread