It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
Advise on exercizing after heel osteotomy

Hi all, I am 4 weeks into my recovery from a heel osteotomy. I am in a air cast the pain is bearable and NWB. Is it to soon to start doing any form of excersize? I was thinking maybe situps, weights for upper body, leg lifts. Any input is welcome.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
(female)

smile2006 HB User
Re: Advise on exercizing after heel osteotomy

I had PTTD surgery with a heel osteotomy. I started doing things like sit-ups and upper body weights while still in a hard cast. My doctor was fine with this as long as I did nothing with my legs. I wouldn't suggest any leg weights until your doctor OKs it! Good luck. Weights kept me sane when i couldn't do anything else.

Last edited by smile2006; 04-08-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I did Cardio kickboxing with my upper body. I also made the motion that I was riding a bike in mid air. Of course there's always crutches... Those things are such a workout in themselves! With all the nice weather I so understand wanting to get up and about. There was one way we worked our lower abs while laying down, we just lifted our legs a few inches off the ground and held the position.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

I think I am ready to try some of these things. It is really getting nice out and it sure makes you want to do more and exercising does sound good. Thanks I'll take it slow.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey Walleye, now that you're almost 8 weeks post op, you can do more exercises than before. Something I do, is put an ankle weight on my good foot and do leg lifts from a seated position. Also, lie on your back (I do this in my bed since getting on the floor seems scary), and lift your legs up just a few inches like World said. Hold there for as long as you want and slowly lower them down. If you can, try to do reverse crunches. These are when you lift your legs up toward the ceiling, then lift your bum off the floor/bed. Only lift as high as you can and don't 'push' up with your body. This is a concentrated move where you have to contract your core muscles to get your bum up. What else? Oh, yeah - if you have a pilates ball (or a childs toy rubber ball), sit in a chair, back straight, and put the ball between your knees. Squeeze the ball as hard as you can, then relax. This works inner thigh. If you have an exercise band, the thick ones, not the long rubber ones, put this around your knees and do an opposite move of the inner thigh - try to pull your knees out as far as you can. You'll be working against the reistance of the band. Great for outer thigh. And lastly, if you do have one of those long rubber bands with the handles, you can do all sorts of moves for your arms. Triceps, biceps, etc. I googled 'seated workout' and got some good ideas from there. They are mostly for seniors, but hey, I'll take what I can get right now! I can't wait to get back into yoga and I think I'll try pilates when I'm all better!

Keep strong!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
(male)

Paddlejunky HB User

I resumed riding my stationary bike two days post-op. I propped the cast on a trash can and rode one-legged for about five or six weeks. At that point I put the walking cast on the pedal and let the surgery foot travel around the cycle without very much force on that side. Gradually I increased the effort on the surgery leg and at about 3 months was back at it full tilt. Now at 4 months and 3 weeks I am alternating between the stationary bike and the elliptical..

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Thanks all. I have starting using the stationary bike. My bum bone is a little sore but that will pass. I have thera bands (from a previous PT session) that I Have been using by attaching it to the knee walker brake handle and then to the bad foot and strength train to get range of motion back. Things will get better. Just takes time........

Closed Thread