It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
Weight bearing after Triple Arthrodesis (& similar surgeries)

I had triple Arthrodesis Jan 15, everything is going well & I have graduated from a nwb cast to a boot and walker last week. (you can see my earlier thread Triple arthrodesis Jan 15 and I have question

However, my surgeon says I will be walking in sneaker in 6-8 weeks and from the way it feels now this sounds like pie in the sky. I can only walk about a hundred feet. I can stand still without much paing but when I try to walk I have a lot of pain on my outside ankle. I start physical therapy next Tuesday.

Questions for fellow recovering foot buddies...:

How long till you could really walk?

Is this pain normal?

We have a reservation for a time share in Hawaii Aug 30. Will I be able to go with reasonable walking or should I cancel?

Shelly

The Following User Says Thank You to lovelyladi For This Useful Post:
CgrBuff (06-21-2012)
Old 04-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: Weight bearing after Triple Arthrodesis (& similar surgeries)

surgery may 9th, i was in shoe all the time by mid to late october. i was able to walk december with only a little discomfort and was awesome by late january (taking doggie for walk).

shelley

The Following User Says Thank You to shelleybutn For This Useful Post:
CgrBuff (11-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
(female)

darby3451 HB User

I had my triple arthrodesis 9 weeks ago. I am in a boot and can put slight weight (25 lbs) on the foot for the next 1 1/2 months and then I assume increase the weight after that if everything looks good on xray. I am wondering when most of you who have had the surgery are starting physio and what kind of things do you do in physio? I have never gone to physio but most people talk of it as being helpful and a positive experience.

Darby

The following user gives a hug of support to darby3451:
Bluesnooze (01-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
(female)

i started a week after i went into boot. they do range of motion and then they strengthen the surrounding muscles (calf, front of leg, quads, hamstrings, etc) so you will be able to walk again with strength. they can also help with pain management.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

I start physical therapy Tuesday and will let you know what is involved. My surgeon didn't seem to really think I needed it..she just said start adding weight and walking...you will need the walker for 6-8 weeks.

I really need direction and help here. I am hoping that therapy will be my answer. I can only walk about 100 feet with my walker b4 I am exhausted, in pain and depressed (and my arms and shoulder are tired too). I too am hoping for a positive experience.

Shelly

Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Shelly, I am really hoping someone will ride to the rescue with an answer! Wouldn't it be great if someone would say, "Okay, at four weeks, drop the walker and go! Just do it, lol. Run like the wind, it won't hurt."

If you are walking 100 feet with your walker, that to me is amazing. It's too bad you feel discouraged, but I think that is the build-up of three months of cripply-ness!

I live in a tiny cape cod house and I walk with the forearm walker maybe 25 feet at a time. Then I sit for an hour, elevate, and usually ice my foot. I've been PWB for 3 weeks, and only now can I almost take one step with a cane. Sometimes I almost forget to lean on the walker, so there is a tiny bit of progress. The bottom of my foot hurts when I try full weight.

Hope your PT is helpful and gentle. Please post any progress!
Lynny

Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Hello Sore foot Buddies

I started physical therapy today. Because I have Kaiser HMO it is more bare bones than some private pts (no icing machines, none of the fancy feel good stuff). Basically she evaluated my foot, gave me streching exercises to do and evaluated how I used the walker. She also gave me an elastic stocking to wear for swelling.

I was advised that I must use the walker a lot more or I will never walk. I am to go as far as I can 2-3 times a day (that is probably 100-150 feet right now)...to take the pain pills (vicodine) and work it any way. sigh... I am to take ice baths (water and ice in a tub) for my foot several times a day for swelling. I am unable to ever thake nsaids or aspirin because of stomach issues. I see her again in a week.

My pain is mostly in my ankle (which is fine with only a little arthritis) and heel rather than whole foot.

Any comments or ideas or anyone want to share? I get my best ideas, support and feed back here

Hugs, Shelly

Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
(female)

shell, you shouldn't take nsaids anyway because they hinder bone healing! if they didn't give you any...go to walmart and get some therabands (the stretchy cords) and do the up and down motions with the resistance (pushing down like gas pedal and pull up). that helps strengthen the ankle / calf muscles. you won't be able to do the side to side (that's fused). also, work on single leg balances and do straight leg raises in all four directions to strengthen leg / hip muscles (helps walk). shelley

Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Thanks Shelley

.....for the ideas...shall implement asap.

My hubby hates Walmart but buys our dog food (2 dogs) at Target so he says he will look for them when he is there later in the week. Went out and made my self do some errands to force the walking.

Shelly

Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Hi foot-gang.
Shelly, I agree with everything Shelley said. Working with the bands really help the strengthening. I went partial weight bearing from nwb exactly 12 weeks after my surgery Sept. 2. So it was Dec. 2. I was walking with the walker and was terribly exhausted and really hurting for the next month. But the therapy and strengthening really helped and most of the exercises I could do on my own at home. Ice baths are almost as good as the icing machines...just more inconvenient. And the elastic stocking I got (from the surgeon) was the best for keeping swelling down. But I can remember feeling, about 3 weeks into weight bearing, like it would never get better.

I think just pushing through to do a few errands will help. It does take some time to rebuild the muscles. Now, about 6 1/2 mos. out, I don't have a lot of pain. But I do have bad days, swelling-wise. Right now I'm working about 6 days a week, lots of hours on foot. Some things hurt but mostly not my foot. I know it's hard but keep hanging in there. You'll regain strength slowly at first but you will gain strength.

Miss visiting here more. Just working too many hours, getting on with life...I guess that's a good thing. But, to be honest, I sometimes miss those times of reading and watching junk TV while recovering...not really!

take care and keep moving!
Linda

Old 04-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
(female)

shell, any sporting goods store would have them too (dicks, sports authority). and also add standing hamstring curls (where you try to touch heel to butt) and sitting quad extensions (where you straighten out leg and tighten front of thigh).

shelley

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Hi Shelley Hi Linda

I think that as soon as I can get rid of the walker and am full weight bearing(hopefully in about 6 weeks) I will get a few sessions with a personal trainer to help rebuild the leg (and perhaps go back to pilates). I am going to need some help and direction here.

Thanks,

Shely

Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #13
(female)

that would be a good idea, but you need to do stuff NOW in order to be able to walk comfortably and safely. maybe go to trainer now, if PT is not doing much. they can show you some non-weight bearing or light-weight bearing exercises.

shell

Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Shelly and all, Good news so I thought I would share. I'm 4 1/2 weeks on the foot and able to walk a few steps without walker. Actually left walker outside the bathroom door today! Still hurts, but not too bad. Night and day difference better than last week.

Even tho I haven't done any PT yet and only a little flexing, my calf muscle is already coming back just from walker-walking. You might be happily surprised at how quickly it looks close to normal. lynny

Last edited by lynnyl; 04-16-2009 at 07:21 AM.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
(female)

pearlcat HB User

Out of curiosity -- what kind of walker does everybody use?

Closed Thread