It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

Susy2163 HB User
Nerve problems after pttd surgery

I am 14/15 weeks post op and struggling. I have pain, swelling and heightened sensitivity all along the lateral side of my foot. It starts just below the ankle where the scar is from where my tendons were taken for the transfer and goes right up to the two smaller toes. It feels like sciatica and pins and needles all the time. I still cant get a shoe on. Has anyone else experienced this, and when will it settle down? i cant walk bare foot very well either.
I am in England and dont know of anyone else who has had this op.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Nerve problems after pttd surgery

Hi, Susy. What you are describing is pain from the sural nerve. The sural nerve is irritated during this surgery because they are basically right on top of it with the lateral incision. My last two toes were numb for about a year then got better. Unfortunately, mine are back numb due to it being entrapped in scar tissue. I would guess that yours is probably irritation from the surgery since you are 14 weeks post-op. But, there is always a possibility the nerve is damaged or entrapped but when I asked my surgeon about it a few months after surgery he said he would not be concerned about it until after a year's healing.

I guess it depends on the amount of pain you are in as to whether your doctor will do anything about it. It is normal to still have swelling but I would think you should be able to put a shoe on by now. I had an unusual amount of swelling myself and had to wear a compression sock for quite a while. If you haven't tried that, ask your doctor and he will write you a "script" for one at a medical supply store. A lot of swelling will contribute to nerve compression so it could be if you can control the swelling it will help the nerve pain.

good luck.

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
(female)

Susy2163 HB User

Thank you for your quick response Emmie. The nerve pain is so holding me back! I havent heard of a compression sock so I will look ionto it.Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

I have/had lots of nerve sensations/pain post op pttd surgery. One of the best things my doc suggested was massage. Really rub/manipulate the areas affected. If it is temporary due to the surgery trauma this will help. It "wakes up" the nerves and gets the blood flowing. I cringed when the doc suggested it because my foot was so tender BUT it helped!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

uff da HB User

Hi Susy
Oh yes, I have had/still get that nerve pain. What I was told to do was to gently massage the area. When my foot could handle that, then the touch would get lighter and lighter, to the point of rubbing the area over with a feather. I know when I started the thought of putting a sock on my foot would send that area zinging in pain. I had surgery at the end of September. My goal was to be mostly in a shoe the first week of January. I tell you there were a bunch of times when I would fling off my shoe. My foot still gets zingy, but it is nothing like it was-both in intensity and frequency. I notice it a lot more at the end of the day when my foot is swollen. Then I try to rub it away.
I feel for you

Closed Thread