It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
(female)

Piffy05 HB User
how long does it take to recover from flat foot surgery

I'm a 23 year old female and my doctor has told me that he recommends I have surgery to correct my rapidly progressing collapsing arch on my right foot. He wants to do a mix of the Calcaneal Osteotomy (sp?), a bit of the Evans procedure, and tendon lengthening. I would really like to know how painful these procedures are and what the recovery time is like. I have been wearing thick orthotics for about 2 years and they have only worked to a degree. Am I naive to think I could be dancing at my wedding 10 months after this procedure is done- and wearing nice shoes to boot? My physical therapist has told me to take the quoted recovery time and double it. Thoughts? I am really really scared, have no idea what to expect, and feel like I'm being thrown into the lions den.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

ETANA HB User
Re: how long does it take to recover from flat foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffy05 View Post
I'm a 23 year old female and my doctor has told me that he recommends I have surgery to correct my rapidly progressing collapsing arch on my right foot. He wants to do a mix of the Calcaneal Osteotomy (sp?), a bit of the Evans procedure, and tendon lengthening. I would really like to know how painful these procedures are and what the recovery time is like. I have been wearing thick orthotics for about 2 years and they have only worked to a degree. Am I naive to think I could be dancing at my wedding 10 months after this procedure is done- and wearing nice shoes to boot? My physical therapist has told me to take the quoted recovery time and double it. Thoughts? I am really really scared, have no idea what to expect, and feel like I'm being thrown into the lions den.
I'm 4 months post PTTD calc slide, tendon repair, navicular removal surgery. I'm finally in shoes the same size, but my ankle is still swollen, and still can't wear most of my shoes. I went back to Jazzercise 2 weeks ago, moved slow and cloddy, but moved. I think 10 months is good enough time to dance at your wedding. I think if you REALLY need the surgery, if it's really degenerating fast, then why wait til the first year of your marriage? Or when you have a toddler? Why not now?

The procedure isn't painful hahaha the recovery is painful. But you'll be on meds for a month. So only the first week is very uncomfortable with the swelling and blood pressing pushing, keep your foot up. It gets tedious, but in 2 months you'll be walking and in 3 months you won't be gimping limping. I was striding by 3 months. But my arch still aches after I walk 2 hours.

Etana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

It takes about a year for full recovery, but I think it is reasonable to assume you will be dancing at 10 months. Probably not in high heels but I went to my niece's wedding at 7 months and slow danced with low heels. (and I had a torn peroneal that had not yet been diagnosed) I would go ahead and do the surgery and look at your "down time" as a good time to plan all the wedding details.

search PTTD on this board and you will find all the info you need. It is painful, but not as much for some as others. The younger you are the easier the recovery, or so it seems. I never could have walked 2-4 hours like Etana said she did at four months. But everyone is different. Get it over with and move on to your newly married life! Congratulations!

emmie

Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

You should be good to dance at your wedding in 10 months, but don't buy your shoes until just before the day! Your foot might still be swollen.

I'm six weeks post op (I had more done than you are having) and I just started putting weight on my foot. I don't think I'd be able to walk a few hours like ETANA either, but I'm 44, not 23.

From what I can tell from reading these boards - this doesn't usually heal on its own. You need surgery to fix this problem. It is very scary to think of the surgery before, but as ETANA said, the real pain is the recovery. If you have something fun to do like plan a wedding, then the time might go by faster! Whatever you decide, make sure you have plenty of support at home to help in your recovery. You'll be like a baby for a few weeks - very much in need of loving care.

Good luck to you! Let us know what you decide.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
(female)

Piffy05 HB User
Red face Re: how long does it take to recover from flat foot surgery

Thanks for all the kind words and great suggestions and tips. I will be seeing a few more surgeons for a second opinion in the coming weeks, so I can hopefully figure out if its best to go for this now. My orthotics guy rolled his eyes around his head when i told him what the surgeon wanted to do, which did not help my confidence in this. I def feel my right knee going though, which also scares me..it clicks when i walk and almost feels kind of locked. has anyone else felt this?

Closed Thread