It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

Lesley54 HB User
Still pain after Triple Arthrodesis

Has anyone had a triple arthrodesis and still have pain walking. I had my surgery in Aug 2008. Went through the post op fine. Went to PT. I am now 8 months out and still have pain with every step. I can wear shoes, go to exercise. I went to the Doctor and he said he didn't know why I still have pain. The fusion worked. I don't want anymore surgeries. Cortisone or lidocaine shots do nothing. I am just living with it. As we all know..pain is exhausting and I want to know if anyone out there is just still in pain.

I had a PTT replacement, lengthening of achilles with a double calcaneol osteotomy 5 yrs ago. From that I got arthritis with bone spurs, that is why I had the triple.

Just want to know if anyone else is in my boat. Thanks.

Lesley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: Still pain after Triple Arthrodesis

lesley, i had a triple done may, 2008. i didn't feel amazing until about month 9. i was still having pain in january (8 months). i am now pretty much pain free. my doc said 1 year to be 100%. what kind of pain and where are you feeling it? my doc also said i would get some new pain either lower in foot or higher in ankle due to oncoming arthritis (but should not be too bad, at least not yet).

shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
(female)

Lesley54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybutn View Post
lesley, i had a triple done may, 2008. i didn't feel amazing until about month 9. i was still having pain in january (8 months). i am now pretty much pain free. my doc said 1 year to be 100%. what kind of pain and where are you feeling it? my doc also said i would get some new pain either lower in foot or higher in ankle due to oncoming arthritis (but should not be too bad, at least not yet).

shelley

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
(female)

Lesley54 HB User

Shelley, thank you so much for replying. My doctor also said it takes a year. I hurt on the top of foot and the side (not arch). I am very active and always in pain, even while I am in bed. Trying not to take pain meds. I switch my shoes around during the day. Yes, there is more pressure at my ankle now. But no pain. On my healthy leg my knee also hurts and pops from standing on one leg for 3 months during recovery. So maybe there is a light in the tunnel?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
(female)

if i have a long day, i still get some pain on the top of foot too. but if i massage it and ice usually is better the next morning. i also experienced some pain over my navicular bone (bone that sticks out in arch) and doc said it is my screws rubbing. probably gonna get them taken out next month. they get irritated if i wear certain shoes. hang in there, your body will hurt from all the different activity (standing on one leg) but it does get better. shelley

Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
(female)

Lesley54 HB User

I have six big screws. On my PTT surgery I had them removed because they were so close to my skin. From my new xrays the screws are really inside the bones. I probably could have them removed. I just don't want another surgery. Where are your screws? I have been icing at night and it does help. Thanks for the positive advice.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
(female)

well, i have 5, but there are two little ones that are pretty superficial in the navicular bone that rubs on certain shoes then gets real irritated for a while. the navicular is the bone that sticks out above your arch.

shelley

Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
(female)

jaeutsler HB User

I had mine done in oct 2005.I am in agony all the time. My first dr that did it, kept giving me shots in the ankle saying I needed an ankle replacement .for a year he took x rays etc .never said a word.Finally I had it, went to 2 other dr both said my foot has gone back and fused over the screws.I had a nerve cut to alleviate the severe pain on the one screw Put now the ankle hurt sso bad. I have a severe limp, can't walk more than a half block and need suport like leaning on a cart.I used to run, hike and was very active with my kids. I have no life. I use anti inflammatorys ,will not use narcotics...due to being involved with my 2 teens. I am depressed and feel my life is over.The other 2 drs said my 1st dr saw what was happening he had to and lied....the one dr said that particular dr thought he was God and Never would admit to a mistake and was known for amputating.I researched him and he had very high credentials. I feel betrayed and lousy and do not know what to do or where to go. I have no life. We have spent thousands on orthodics, walking casts..oh and I don't need an ankle replacement..the shots never worked and we paid thousands for those through deductibles...Anyone know of an excellent dr in maryland????

Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
(female)

Lesley54 HB User

I am so sorry to hear that. Have you tried Lyrica or neurontin? Have you tried John's Hopkins? I was also offered the option to take out my nerve, but opted out.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #10
(male)

FusedSoup HB User

Jaeutsler, I am sorry to hear that, and know much of how you feel. I had bi-lateral triple arthrodesis in 2001 at a hospital in MD. The procedures corrected the original complaint but I remained in severe pain. I visited 4 doctors in the MD and DE area all of them unable to figure out what was causing the pain. Eventually I was refered to Dr. Daniel Farber at University of Maryland Orthopedics. He has an office in Kernan Orthopedics Hospital and in Timonium. On the first visit after ordering Xrays at an angle the others never did, he found that one of the screws was too large and had been placed through the bone and into the soft tissue of the heel. He also found that they were both mal-unioned and mis-aligned. He quickly suggested that both triples should be revised. He preforms the procedures at Kernan which is a great hospital and dedicated to mainly orthopedic procedures. He may seem a little stand-off-ish but he listens and more importantly is incredibly knowledgeable. I have also heard that Mercy hospital has a department of foot reconstruction with knowledgeable doctors, but I have not seen any of them.

I know for me at least, the pain is physically and mentally draining. Only to be made worst by the fear of it being a life long pain and caused by an over-confident at best doctor.
I hope you are successful in finding a way to stop the pain or at least begin to manage it. Take care,

Old 06-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
(female)

jaeutsler HB User

Thanks all.Did you have the surgery redone at kernans. I know that hospital it is very near me.Thank you so much I may look into him, if I know there has been success.So far I am hearing..no success with these.that thye are rarely done anymore .I am on lexapro.Do not want to be drugged.So I don't know about neurotin or lyrica??Do they help without drugging you? Thanks all...I haven't checked in because I have been in a major depression, but I am on 2nd week of lexapor and that is helping

Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
(male)

FusedSoup HB User

Yes both of my triple arthro revisions were done at Kernan. As for a success. That depends on your expectations and definition of success. With the improper fusion I was in constant unbearable pain and was on a high dosage of Fentanyl and Oxycontin just to manage very limited walking using a cane. Now after the correction I can walk considerably longer distances (a block or two) but I am still on narcotic medication, deal with moderate pain and walk with a limp. I have good days where I can take my kids to the park and sit on a bench and there are still bad days where the pain keeps me up all night and makes my stomach turn. I am almost 2 years post-op on my left foot and 6 months post-op on my right. So I and Dr. Farber hope I am still healing and that things will become somewhat better with time. At least this time it looks like a proper fusion and the hardware is where it is supposed to be. I will warn you of this, the revision for me was more painful for a few weeks than the original triple. The procedure is more invasive so you should expect a longer recovery. Though it was still just an overnight stay in Kernan.

As for meds, I'm not sure about any of the depression meds. I have never taken them. As for pain, the most important thing for me was to manage it. If Motrin or whatever is working for you, take em. Wasn't working for me so after trial and error with a pain management Dr, we finally found the right combination of meds. I still function at work and I feel better with managed pain as opposed to unbearable pain. So for me, it was a success just because I am better than I was 3 years ago, but I do wish I could wish I could ride a bike, go hiking or walk up stairs without pain. I hope you find whats best for you given the situation, Take care,

Old 06-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
(female)

Photine HB User

Leslie:

Me too. Same thing. I had a quadruple arthrodesis and achilles lengthening and still feel pain every day. I did all my PT and recovered quickly. I need to work again but I'm still having difficulty with swelling in my foot and ankle even when I sit and its painful to stand for any length of time. I am not taking any pain meds since I recuperated from surgery because I don't like taking them but lately I've been reconsidering. Fighting the pain IS exhausting and depressing too. And I tend to be an optimist.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
(male)

dave11014 HB Userdave11014 HB User

can you tell me how old you are and if you are still having pain? What kind of shoes do you wear and how much time a day are you on your feet? do you have orthotics?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
(female)

bluwings HB User

I had a tripple arthrodesis in 1982. It hurts daily, but too bad. Usually when I've been sitting and stand up. Mine was a complicated case though, because I also splintered the femur and lost about 4" of the tibia. Miraculously my legs are the same length and I wear the same size shoe on both feet.

There are many people who have known me for years and have no idea as I am still walking without a limp, cane or aid of any kind. Also the surgery is more refined now.

Wishing you good luck.

Closed Thread