It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

scrapscot HB User
Boot question for PTTD

I've been diagnosed with PTTD in my right foot; my insurance wouldn't pay for the Arizona brace and I didn't have $1000.00 to pay for it, so my podiatrist put me in the orthothic boot with the velcro. Even wearing a sock, the metal rubs through the boot and is irritating to my ankle. My ankle hurts worse now than it did prior to wearing the boot (I was getting physical therapy and E-stem at my chiro). I won't be able to have surgery till after July 4th as I have some committments in May and on the 4th, so I'm stuck with this boot till then. Any helpful advice on getting used to this thing would be appreciative; and has anyone else worn one that long BEFORE surgery?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Boot question for PTTD

Are you talking about a CAM walker, with the rocker bottom?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

scrapscot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Are you talking about a CAM walker, with the rocker bottom?
I think that's the one!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Okay, that's not necessarily the best boot for PTTD, because it doesn't really have arch support. Adding a little heel lift might help, ask your podiatrist.

Walking in it: You absolutely must find a shoe for your other foot which is as high as the thickest part of the sole of the boot. If you walk in uneven shoes, you will get problems in your hips and back.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

It's not unusual for surgeons to try conservative measures for up to six months before surgery. I was in boot/cast for four months. I was in the regular ortho boot with no devices inserted. In fact, I've never seen a boot with arch support in it although I have heard of people putting orthotics in their boot. My doctor didn't tell me to put anything in mine.

emmie

Last edited by emmie54; 04-15-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
(female)

scrapscot HB User

thanks for the help, ladies. I did notice I was walking like "chester" of Gun Smoke when I wore my western boot yesterday, so I will not wear it again. I may try to put a "lift" in the cam walker to see what it feels like, but will ask my dr about it as well.

I wish my insurance would have covered the other brace, but the state's contract w/the insurance co. is specific about "orthodics" & sees them as "routine" foot care!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

hahahaha!!! Chester! I haven't heard that phrase in a while. You are giving away both of our ages with that one!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
(female)

scrapscot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post
hahahaha!!! Chester! I haven't heard that phrase in a while. You are giving away both of our ages with that one!
LOL! Yeah, I said the same thing to my boss yesterday, but I'm not so sure he knew what/who I was talking about! He's not much older than my son!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapscot View Post
I wish my insurance would have covered the other brace, but the state's contract w/the insurance co. is specific about "orthodics" & sees them as "routine" foot care!

Routine? Ugh! There is nothing routine about this injury! I hope the boot works out for you and you can avoid surgery. I can't believe a brace would cost $1000. That's crazy.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
(female)

scrapscot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGal09 View Post
Routine? Ugh! There is nothing routine about this injury! I hope the boot works out for you and you can avoid surgery. I can't believe a brace would cost $1000. That's crazy.

Oh, I don't plan to avoid the surgery; I've heard there's no "cure" for this except it, so it's inevitable. Yea,"routine"!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
(female)

bgsu HB User

I wore a boot for 2.5 months before my pttd surgery. Not fun but I didn't want to create more problems by not wearing the boot. Just wear a shoe that allows you to be balanced. try some different socks to help protect your ankle. A low ankle sock would not be advised.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
(female)

scrapscot HB User

Thanks for the tip; I put the over the counter orthothic/arch support in the boot and it helps a lot;less pressure on the ankle and it gives me the support I need for the arch. Glad to know I'm not the only one to wear it till the surgery.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

I wore the boot for about a month and a half before the surgery and like you, I put in an orthotic. I don't understand why they give a flat boot to folks with flat feet. Isn't that one of the problems we're trying to fix here?

Bummer you will end up having surgery, but hey, at least you didn't have to spend $1000 and THEN find out you need surgery!

Here's a ray of sunshine for you - I got my little 'walking shoe' that fits over my cast last week and I'm almost walking! I'm 7 weeks post op. I hope to be fully walking by my next appointment in two weeks. Fingers crossed!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #14
(female)

scrapscot HB User

That's great! Good luck with it!

I'm not looking forward to the surgery, but I'm looking forward to having two good feet again afterwards!! Even if it does take several months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGal09 View Post
I wore the boot for about a month and a half before the surgery and like you, I put in an orthotic. I don't understand why they give a flat boot to folks with flat feet. Isn't that one of the problems we're trying to fix here?

Bummer you will end up having surgery, but hey, at least you didn't have to spend $1000 and THEN find out you need surgery!

Here's a ray of sunshine for you - I got my little 'walking shoe' that fits over my cast last week and I'm almost walking! I'm 7 weeks post op. I hope to be fully walking by my next appointment in two weeks. Fingers crossed!

Closed Thread