HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Getting ready for an allograft OATS on ankle and... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/687096-getting-ready-allograft-oats-ankle.html)

indyjones 04-15-2009 05:31 PM

Getting ready for an allograft OATS on ankle and...

some folks have recommended a Game Ready unit to control the post-op inflammation. Do any anyone know where I can rent one? It also appears AirCast makes a similar product (autochill) which is significantly cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with it?

TIA

Indy

kimberp 04-15-2009 05:47 PM

Re: Getting ready for an allograft OATS on ankle and...

Indy,

I am now 8 months post OATS, although autograph, and I used the Aircast machine for the 12 weeks NWB period. It worked well, however it didn't do as great a job as gel icepacks did ... you'll come home with a splint until your stitches are out and then put in a cast so it takes something pretty strong to get the cold through the splint then the cast. It came in more handy once the cast was off and I was just in the boot and able to remove it to ice for the 6 months + you'll be swollen afterwards.

Good luck! It's a major surgery and recovery is tough, but at least you won't have the knee recovery to deal with as well.

Kim :)

K_Lana 04-16-2009 09:48 AM

Good luck with surgery. I didn't use any of the ice machine things, just frozen peas.

You can follow along on the OATS recovery thread and maybe get more answers there.

Calrunner 04-16-2009 12:32 PM

The Game Ready was worth its weight in GOLD! It absolutely helped with the pain. You can look it up online to find a distributor. My dr. ordered mine for me. They delivered it to me in the hospital before the surgery, and came and picked it up from my house when I was done with it. The AirCast verion does not have a pump, so there's no cold water circulating around your joint. It uses gravity from a cooler. IMO, it's not much more effective than frozen peas or an ice pack.

dbast 04-16-2009 12:46 PM

Hello all. I am 5 weeks away from having an allograft.
Do I just ask my doc to order this for me?
Do you use this right after surgery or is it used later?
Does insurance cover this?
If not, how much does it cost?

Thanks.

Calrunner 04-17-2009 01:38 PM

My dr. prescribed mine for me. I was told to use it as soon as I got home from the hospital, and every 2 hours for the first day, then every 4 hours, etc. I think I had the unit for 2-4 weeks, and really used it most during the first few days, especially after I returned to work, and my foot would be swollen and throbbing by the time I got home. I'd definitely request your dr. to do the same. Insurance covered mine -- but out of network, so I still had to pay more than I wanted to! If you buy one, they run a couple thousand dollars, PLUS a couple hundred for the ankle cuff. In hindsight, I wish I would have purchased it, as I would still use it today if I had it. (I've returned to running long distances, and my ankle is NOT happy!)