It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
2nd PTTD Surgery: 3 days post op

Well I made it to the "other side". The surgery on Tuesday went well. It was about 2.5 hours long. I had the pop block in the recovery room this time (had it pre op last time). My stay turned into 2 nights. There was a lot of trying to get the pain under control and get the right "mix" of meds. I must say that I am happy with my "mix"! The doc told my husband after surgery that there was nothing left of my tendon......same as other foot.

I found out my roomie was the surgery right before me and had the same OS and same surgery so that was really nice to have someone to talk with. Although I was jealous that she got her real jammies on and got up to brush her teeth before me! I was first on the commode though I think!

I had a pt session the day after surgery. Mostly that consisted of me walking up and down the hall with a walker. But I guess you have to "pass" pt in order to leave the hospital.

I can tell I had added procedures this time...as far as where the pain is located. The incision at my hip (for bone graft) is tender but I can still move about pretty well. I have to change that dressing daily and not get it wet for about a week. I have dissolvable stitches there so that is great news. Also the achilles site is tight and stings. But I feel like I am doing pretty well for all that work!

I will wear this splint until the 30th of this month and then on to the boot....yes I am very lucky this doc does not cast either. I have been wiggling my toes and keeping that foot elevated most of the time....the minute it comes down you all know what happens right? Ouch!

I feel like things are going smoother this time around at home. I am better with all the "equipment" around here. I guess it's like riding a bike...you don't forget what works and what doesn't.

So reading this post back it sounds a little too cheery.....I will be back in a few days with problems and pain so that will make up for it.....like I said....a good "mix" of meds for me! I will be depressed in a few days becasue this is the nicest weather we have had here in MN and now I am stuck on the couch with an elevated foot....maybe it will rain soon?

Last edited by hurts2walk; 04-17-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Re: 2nd PTTD Surgery: 3 days post op

I hear it will rain on Sunday. A good day to send someone out for chicken noodle soup! I think the stinging and the tightness in the achilles tendon. It was the worst. I wish I could understand what you're going through a little better and give you stronger support. I strongly hope you get better soon and enjoy some time as the sand and rain slip away. By the time you'll be better hopefully you'll be able to escape the humid part of summer by not being in a cast! Try to get some rest! : )

Old 04-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Hey, welcome back! Looking forward to hearing how your recovery is going. Enjoy the meds!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

That post was way too coherent for someone on a meds mix! But it sure is nice to read how well you're doing. It gives those of us looking at a second surgery hope!

I had the achilles lengthening and it took about 3 1/2 weeks for it to stop feeling so tight and I could lift my leg up straight. Each day I would do a little until it didn't hurt so much. That didn't stop my doctor from stretching it Tuesday when I got my new cast. Dang it!

I can't believe you got the boot. That is fabulous! You can get a full pedicure!

If the weather stays nice, take advantage of it and try to get out for some fresh air.

Can't wait to read your next post...

Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
(female)

smile2006 HB User

Hey There Hurts-to-Walk-

Glad you survived another surgery. Hope your recovery goes smooth and that it will no longer hurt to walk!!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Thanks to all for the warm wishes. I had a rough night. I kept having the same dream that I was crutchng along and then I start to fall. So back in "real life" I would jerk my foot...reallly hard.....and it would wake me up with pain! OW! There are some crazy dreams with the meds huh?

Old 04-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
(female)

mary2 HB User

Glad to hear that you are doing so well. I hope you have a window close to your couch so at least the breezes can reach you. Your post gives me hope for my approaching surgery.

Good luck with your healing.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

My most "interesting" dream while on the heavy meds was one of werewolves attacking me. come to think of it, I think I saw a scalpel in their hands!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Do you wear the boot to sleep? That would be uncomfortable, I'd imagine.

I'm glad I read this post in the morning. I'd have nightmares of scalpel wielding wolves crutching after me if I'd read this close to bedtime! Yikes.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

SoCal I don't have the boot yet...I am in the splint until the 30th. When I do get the boot I will be wearing it to bed.....so comfy.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Yep wearing the boot to bed is a joy. I have flannel sheets on the bed and the rubber on the boot grabs the sheet and twists you up when you roll over. I was thinking about maybe putting a pillow case over the boot. Could work.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Try a satin pillowcase, then it would just slide over the flannel sheets. Still, sleeping in a boot doesn't sound like fun, though.

Last edited by SoCalGal09; 04-19-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

I dreamed that my really cold and standoffish boss was dressed up exactly like Heath Ledger as the Joker. He even had the Joker's hair (in real life he's bald!) I wonder what Freud would make of this one...

Old 05-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

I know that jerk-the-foot thing. The second night after my surgery I was sleeping and did that jerk thing. I obviously tightened all my foot and leg muscles as I did it. I woke up in agony!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

I'm laughing so hard to this posting and the one right before it that I can barely breathe!

Closed Thread