It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

ETANA HB User
PTTD: do you still have arch pain/ache? (after 4+ months)

I am now 4 months' post op for PTTD: calcaneal slide, tendon transfer, and navicular bone removal. My arch still aches when I walk more than 15 minutes. I'm nervous that the surgery was succesful but didn't fix the problem ... and that I will need fusion at some point. I know recovery takes a year. My foot looks and feels pretty good, flexible. The ankle is still swollen but the foot swelling has come down a bunch. Of course when I'm seated it doesn't hurt and I feel fine.

But I was walking in NYC for 4 hours and after 2.5 hours my foot was really tired. I like to hike in the woods and walk around town for hours. I am curious to hear from others who had PTTD surgery, how your arch felt over the course of your 1 year or so recovery? Did it take some time to stop aching?

How long did you continue your exercises that you learned from Physical Therapy? I've stopped them, but I will start them again. Standing on my toes, etc. There is not much muscle in the foot, but supposedly the tendon transfer is attached to your calf muscle and general leg muscle strengthening is supposed to help.

I will see my surgeon for a 4.5 month followup this Tuesday.

Do you have any feedback from your experience, I would much appreciate to hear if your arch hurt a while and then when did it stop aching? I'm not in any "pain" really at all, so that is encouraging to you new-to-surgery people.

OH! I bought Dansko clogs and Dansko sandals and they feel WONDERFUL. The first shoes I'm wearing that are not sneakers in 4 years!!! I can wear them without orthotics!! They actually feel better than my orthotics do. I got new orthotics fitted at month 3.5. But my arch still aches (did I say that 3 times or 4?)

thanks, Etana

Last edited by ETANA; 04-17-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Re: PTTD: do you still have arch pain/ache? (after 4+ months)

At 7 months post op I was still only able to be on my feet for about 30 minutes. After that it was hurting...yes in the arch...and everywhere.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Yeah, that's a lot of walking at four months. Mine would have hurt in more places than just the arch! And it would have started hurting at about 15 minutes. I always had a lot of pain in my heel from the screw (I had one large one) after being on my feet for just a little while. I had my screw taken out at six months which helped.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
(female)

DHS HB User
Unhappy Re: PTTD: do you still have arch pain/ache? (after 4+ months)

Hi, I'm 4 months after PTTD surgery and I have so much pain in both my arch and heel that I can't wear a regular tennis shoe due to all the swelling. I've been making- do with a pair of Teva flip flops or Birkenstock sandals. I've also been diagnosed with a DVT in my Popliteal Artery, which I'm sure is causing a lot of swelling in my foot.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
(female)

marybn HB User

Hi
I had sugery Nov 20, so I am five months post today. I work on my feet 4-6 hours a day, I am able to do it but my foot does tends to ache after the third hour. My non surgery foot hurts 10 times more than my surgery foot, and when I do end up taking pain meds it is for that foot. Also my surgery foot still has alot of swelling by the evening, actually my leg from the knee down swells. Do you still have alot of swelling? Does anyone post five months still have considerable swelling?

Last edited by marybn; 04-20-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

marybn I know you had the same surgery as I just had and it really gives me hope that you can be on your feet for that long. This is a long recovery and there's that "1 year" timeline that lingers in our minds of when "they" say we may start to return to "normal". Oh....normal......what is that?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
(female)

marybn HB User

First, how are you doing after your surgery? I think I mentioned sitting in the sun and reading during your recovery, we just got dumped on by 10" of snow hopefully you didn't get that. I hear it will by gone when it starts to rain, ugh.
About normal, I know what you mean. I just told my husband I can not even remember a time when my feet didn't hurt. Hopefully there will be a time for all of us when that time will come.
Did you have swelling from the knee down from your first foot? Did anyone? I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
(female)

ETANA HB User

My swelling is somewhat lessened around fore foot, but I can now wear the same size shoes (my big SAS shoes or sneakers, though, not my more fitted). Still very swollen around my ankle. Leg seems okay,

I see surgeon today. I'll let you know what he says about arch ache/pain. I'm 18 weeks or 4.5 months post op now.

etana

Last edited by ETANA; 04-21-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

marybn On my other post surgery foot I did not have swelling up to the knee..mostly just around ankle. Not sure what to tell you...have you made "that call" to the os?

We are getting temps to the 70's by Thursday! I will go out on the deck...but don't want to sweat too much in the splint!

etana good luck with the surgeon!

Last edited by hurts2walk; 04-21-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
(female)

bgsu HB User

I've had PTTD surgery twice, on my left foot 4 years ago and on my right foot in October. Finished PT in late March. Healing process for both feet was about the same. Some minor ankle swelling but that disappeared after 1 year. I was warned about swelling up to a year and that is what you should expect. I always prop my feet up whenever I am sitting down and wear orthotics just about every day. Am happy to say that for the first time in my life my feet don't ache like they used to as I was born with flat feet and any walking or extended standing was painful.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
(female)

marybn HB User
Post Re: PTTD: do you still have arch pain/ache? (after 4+ months)

I did call the doc., he said swelling is normal and because I am on my feet so much that is probably causing the lower leg also to swell. Keep my foot iced and up at night, which I do already. He also did say to expect swelling up to 9 - 10 months.

I have to say I am happy I had this done even with the long recovery period. It seems as soon as I start to get discourage about not being able to do something, like walk down stairs normally, the next week I can do it. I can hardly wait to get the other foot done.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Yep keep it elevated marybn.....you really are on your feet for long hours....I don't know how you do it.

It is good to hear how much better your post op foot is since I just had the same surgery. On my other post op foot I did not have the achilles and column lengthening so I am hoping that makes the difference....more support for the repaired tendon.

Last edited by hurts2walk; 04-22-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
(female)

ETANA HB User

Here's some more hope for those of you contemplating, or just undergoing PTTD surgery. I just came from my surgeon at 4.5 months' post op. He is happy with my progress and said the arch ache is that I shouldn't really be walking 4 hours now, or if I do, to wear my little ankle brace. He said it takes longer for the muscles around the arch tendon to strengthen. I am right now wearing my new pair of Dansko clogs, which I can wear without orthotics, and I wore Dansko sandals yesterday ALL DAY!!! with walking!!!

I think this PTTD surgery works, and you should not wait til you are in stage 3 or 4 and need fusion, you should get it done; it only deteriorates. Once the surgery is done, it should not deteriorate further if you wear your orthotics and don't abuse your foot.

I had tendon transfer, navicular removal, calcalneal slide. I didn't need achilles lenghtening. While I was doing this, I also had hammertoe and surgeon had to do minor bunionectomy for the hammertoe. My toe doen't bend DOWN now at all, but I can stand on my toes, and that is what is functional. (I did care more about function than looks. The scars look fine in my opinion). My bunion still aches but I think it will improve.

I am 62 and healthy but about 20 pounds overweight. Well, hmmm healthy, I'm getting creakier by the month. I pushed myself too much 2 weeks ago, took Jazzercise, twisted and stretched, when I was really just used to walking. I sprained my back. Be gentle with yourself and slow and patient in your recovery; keep your eye on "long term recovery," don't rush through the first 6 months and hurt yourself like I did.

etana

Etana

Last edited by ETANA; 04-22-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Closed Thread