It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
(female)

yellowbo HB User
Pttd help!

I have PTTD grade 2 almost 3. I have a ritchie brace which bothered me, then was put in a walking boot (CAM AIR WALKER) with crutches. When I was able to take it off in January I DID feel better, but slowely things have gotten worse. MY foot and ankle feel like the are going to crumble on most days, some days I can not even put weight on them.

In the morning when I wake up I can not walk without first moving my foot around. I am in constant pain. Not to mention numbness has now started.

I work for an orthopedic surgeon, and all 3 of our doctors have said that the surgery is only about 40-50% succesful and that I could end up in a bigger quandry. My POD has said the same, but that because of the severity of the injury there may be no other option since most conservative treatment has failed.

I do not want the surgery, I want to get some weight off, and find a way to REHAB my foot and ankle. Does anyone know of strengthening exercises that can be done to help? I am going to start wearing the ritchie brace again and work through the annoyance of it. I need to even out my other leg because the brace makes me uneven and so that causes back pain. As you can see I am a BAD patient and hate things on my legs, which is another issue with the surgery, I DO NOT THINK I COULD STAY IN A CAST!

I know I am rambling but I am desperate. Anyone WHO HAS NOT had the surgery have some suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
Re: Pttd help!

I let my pttd go until it was stage 4!! All the braces, exercises, orthotics in the world do not cure it. I do not suggest waiting as long as I did, it only gets worse.

Because it was so bad I had to have triple arthrodesis, with achillis tendon lengthening. Consult with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet/ankles. the surgery is supposed to be about 85%+ positive.

Shelly

Old 04-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I agree. I wasn't at Stage 4 yet, but I waited too long which created some issues I may not have had otherwise. The success rate is much greater than 40-50%. I would recommend getting an opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle. Your group may be able to refer you to one.

I know you said you wanted to hear from people who haven't had the surgery but I would hate to see you wait so long you have to have a fusion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

emmie

Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
(female)

bgsu HB User

I've had the surgery, not once but twice. On my left foot, 4 yrs ago and I lived with the pain before I went to a dr. Once it is torn, surgery is your only option and it alleviated my pain. When my right foot started to hurt in July I knew what it was and didn't wait but returned to my doc and he confirmed it was torn as well (I have had flat feet since birth). I would recommend the surgery to anyone as it resolved the problem that boots, braces and orthotics could not. The hardest part of recover with the right foot was not being able to drive for 3 months.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

bgsu, I'm facing a second surgery and it will be my right foot. I am dreading the not driving part. Being able to drive myself to PT alone was a big thing. Wow, hadn't even thought about that. Having to depend on someone for EVERYTHING. At least being able to drive I had some semblance of independence.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Emmie, my heart goes out to you! I hopefully go through surgery on my right foot in the summer. Also looking for the bright side, in the summer maybe people will be more willing to take you out and perhaps even have more free time?

Yellow, sorry but I'm guilty of having surgery too. I waited 6 months after I found out for a study abroad and things just got worse and I was doing PT and wearing custom inserts. I wound up needing a different surgery. More work was required to help me. Best wishes.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
(female)

marybn HB User

Hello
Like most others on here, I too had surgery. I did every thing before surgery to try to prevent it; new orthotics (twice), alternating casting, pt; and every time it helped but for a very short time. I am now 5 months pos op and am very happy.

Closed Thread