It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

my sore feet HB User
Talking Walking after fusion?

Any post op big toe fusion buddies want to tell of their experiences when the doc approved weight bearing after weeks of nwb.

After 11 weeks nwb was told today to start applying pressure on my foot. Doc said it's probably gonna hurt in really odd places and will swell and turn colors i haven't seen before. Okay, now i'm not sure i want to go into this phase 2 of recovery. I've got a walking boot for 4 weeks and he says i should be into a regular shoe after that, REALLY?

Anyone want to share how they approached this stage of the game? It's really hard to inflict pain on ones self!

Open for advice :0)

Brenda

Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: Walking after fusion?

i didn't have a toe fusion, but a foot fusion (triple arthrodesis) where they fused four foot bones! and yes, this next stage sucks. it will take a while for it to feel good, but day by day will get better. you will swell for up to 6-8 months my doc said after foot surgeries. after 4 weeks you will wean out of boot and into a shoe. it will eventually feel better. just hang in there. you will get new pain because you have been nwb for so long...your arch, your achilles, and your foot will probably all hurt at some point.

but do your pt and keep walking, it does get better.
shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

sore feet, i had the exact same thing. cast for 11 weeks then a walking boot for 4 weeks. i could not get into any shoe so i started out with buying boys gym shoes at target. that worked! then i went to new balance and bought wide womens shoes. wearing a compression sock helped with the swelling. it took a year for the swelling to go down. actually at 2 years the swelling went down even more.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Brenda,
Hi. We have been talking about this on another thread, and I felt same as you when I first got the boot. I am 5 weeks WB after a single fusion of hind foot bones. It does hurt in weird places at first, but it gets better so slowly you won't even realize it, and then one day you are able to walk. By now, I have ditched the walker, use a cane if I feel unsteady. I'm waiting for new wide sneakers in the mail because the surgery foot still won't go into my old ones.
As for the pain, It helped to ice my foot or soak it several times a day. I added insoles to my boot. I also got some arnica cream -- it's a homeopathic cream meant for muscle aches or bruising -- and rubbed it in. Every little bit of progress will be encouraging and will keep you going.
lynny

Old 04-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
(female)

my sore feet HB User

Thanks for all the encouragement. As for shoes in 4 weeks, i think i might be grateful for the weather change. Last year i bought some flip flop Earth shoes that have all the curves in the sole for what we need. I'm hoping those work in the beginning anyway. Doctors really frown on flip flops but i've spent a fortune on Zappos in the past buying summer shoes with great arch support and lots of room. Hopefully my purchases will pay off.

Walking about went relatively good today. Using the crutches so have only got about 25% or less weight on the foot. When i accidently applied to much, boy i felt those needles and sparks shoot around all over. I'm not moving very fast but at least moving!

I'll try the Arnica cream. Does it seem to help with healing or the pain? I'll try anything to make it better. I've been using a bone stimulator since the second week post op. I'm told they really do speed up healing. We have a friend whose son in law plays pro basketball and he has a bone stimulator and uses it on jammed fingers and such, that's endorsement enough for me.

Happy healing Ya'll

Brenda

Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
(female)

lynnyl HB User

I imagine the arnica cream helped pain. Maybe it was the touch of massaging it in when my muscles or tendons would throb or ping. My arch would get incredibly sore and that might not be an issue for you. You are lucky to get the electro-stim. At my ortho group, you have to "fail the test" and not heal before you get the help! I hope you are enjoying being on two feet...It sure beats hopping. lynnyl

Old 04-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
(female)

Arnica Montana is a natural anti-inflammatory (derived from plant). So it helps with bruising, swelling, etc. i used it on my elbow after my foot surgery (ha ha, fell of crutches and hurt my elbow!) kinda hard to crutch with hurt elbow. but since i couldn't take pill NSAIDS (ibuprofen, aleve, etc) because of delayed bone healing i was willing to try anything!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
(female)

my sore feet HB User

Thanks for the hint about the cream, i'll get some as soon as i can get someone to fetch it for me as i am still a non-driver.

I am 3 days into pwb after 11 weeks nwb. Talk about pain! Doc said it was going to be painful and to take pain meds (hate the thought of that). I didn't know he meant PAINFUL. This friggin hurts.....should it? It's not the joint pain i became so used to, it feels like a truck ran over my foot with every step. I try to get around using one crutch but it is so painful. Did those of you who've been thru this remember this part of the recovery, if so, any advise? Should i just keep powering thru or do you back off? I don't want to do any harm, but at the same time don't want to whimp out and baby it. Help!

Brenda

Old 04-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
(female)

my sore feet HB User

Great site.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
(female)

keep powering thru. it will hurt. as long as your surgery site doesn't hurt, keep going. day by day it gets better.
shelley

Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
(female)

my sore feet HB User

Okay, i'll take your word for it! Thanks for the encouragement.

Brenda

Closed Thread