It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User
6.5 weeks PTTD postop visit today

Hello

So I had my doctor's visit today! I had my cast removed---and of course, x-rays! The doctor is actually very pleased with the healing of the osteotomy--said it looks great! He said he is pleased really with the overall progress of the foot and ankle. I am now in a boot--its not the normal one I have always worn, he actually said its a diabetic walker----its HUGE!!! It comes up almost to my knee---but he said it has alot more padding and stability---so this is what I have now. I figure worse case, I can always, on down the road, go to my old boot---if This one gets to be in my way!

But the bad news----still no weight bearing for 2 weeks. I go back to see him May 6th----I will start P/T as soon as I can get the appointment scheduled---but he wants no weight bearing until I see him again---b/c he wants to be certain the tendons have healed--and he is just not ready to let me walk yet!

BUT ---I can now shower and wash my leg! My mom is coming over to help me wash my foot----I don't like to touch my incisions---and my B/F said there is no way in heck he is taking the chance of hurting me!! LOL

So there is my check up-----WALLEYE I hope you got some good news today!! Let us know!!!

Talk to you soon!!
Tracie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User
Re: 6.5 weeks PTTD postop visit today

Tracie, that's awesome about the boot! But a bummer you are still NWB. A whole new world opens up when you can put your foot down.

Let us know how the leg washing goes - I've heard some scary stories about what our legs are going to look like and how the skin will flake/peel off. Ewww.

Keep us updated on the boot and P/T. I go to the doc in 2 weeks and will hopefully get my cast off. I've been able to walk on it and I'm getting quite speedy on my crutches. But P/T scares me. Sounds like you'll go before me, so I'm curious how it goes for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

SoCal- PT isn't scary. I remember telling them how nervous I was and really the first visit lasted 5 minutes, we had a chat about a recent episode of house and he gave me a couple at home things to do while I attempt to regain range of motion. The skin thing was cool. My doctor took care of a little of it.

Tracie- The marker from surgery makes it a bit more intimidating to look/touch the surgery area, but it gets better. I'm so happy for you! If your leg gets itchy try benadryll (SP?)

Old 04-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Worldwalker great to hear about the boot and you get to start PT. The 2weeks will go by fast. Just look at the fact you can look at your foot and shower kinda normal. Ex-ray look good he said.
I am still in the boot for now and get to start to weight bear a little, but not to over do it. I can sleep without the boot (it was tough sleeping every time you move you think you are going to hurt it and don't really sleep good the 1st night)and sit in my chair without it. But was told I must wear it when I am up. I was like a kid in the candy store yesterday happiness. I get to start range of motion, excersize bike, and rubbing the surgical area to get the numbness to go away.
I took a bath yesterday and it was wonderful, the water when I got out was gross with dead chunks of skin. yuk!!!!! Am using pure vitamin E oil to moisten the leg (which looks like it malnutritioned) and ugly.
I also go back for another ex-ray on May 6th. I was told I could go back to work of course just sitting on May 4th. I pretty much to them they were out of their minds. I can't even walk with the crutches and they are pusing me to go back to work. Not happening. I can only manage about 45 minutes with the foot down before the swelling gets out of control. Short term dissability is pushing this. I called them sure hope they don't stop the checks but I am not ready to be sitting in a upright chair for 4 to 8 hours yet with the foot on the ground. I'm too happy to dwell on anything but the fact I can look and touch my foot and start the next faze of recovery.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

yeah a bath walleye! Even if it was gross water after....it is a step back to "normal'!

I hear you about going back to work. I work for a school district and I am on my feet most of the time so I am off for the rest of the school year...since I am nwb until June anyway. I am not getting dissability so that makes a difference too. So you hang tough with that and take it easy!

Celebrate the range of motion exercises and sleeping boot free! Oh...and this wonderful weather we are having here in MN!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

The dead floating skin is exactly why I prefer showers! When I was in Japan I recall them showering momentarily before jumping into the bath I think to prevent that. That might help take away the stress of a bath.
(another world-walking moment I bring to the table to help)

I babysit and I told the family I'd return in the fall when I'm better. I miss not working. I also don't go to class as often because it can be such a hassle just to get there! I love the MN weather, but if I'm still working on returning to normal. I'd like a little rain.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

OOOHHHh I am SO crabby today!!! i hate this boot---it hurts-----I think I would rather have the cast on at this point!!! I am just feeling terribly whiny! In this boot----my toes are constricted-----so where they used to be open to the air and I could move them and wiggle them---I can't now!!! And I know he put me in this thing for my own good----but it just makes me feel so crabby!!

And I know everyone is talking about the pretty weather----but it is supposed to be close to 90 on Saurday here---and I have a cook out to go to---do you know how impossibly hot this boot is going to be???? GGGRR

I am really sorry---but I had to vent---and no one is home to listen to me!!! I hope everyone else is having a much better day!!!!! I will check back in and hopefully will have put on a new attitude!!!!!!!!!

Tracie

Old 04-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Hey Tracie,

vent all you want to. I sooooo remember those days during recovery. I think we all have had them. You know what? Go with it. Be a B#@% on wheels if you want to! You've been through hell and back and a grumpy day now and then is just good for the soul.

emmie

Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

tracie: I hear you loud and clear. I spent most of the "beautiful day" sleeping cause I was soooo crabby from not being able to sleep last night. I missed the whole great day and I DON"T CARE....I slept ok? And then I got up and pouted some and got on with it........feeling better.

The thing I hate is that people who have never been through a foot surgery have no idea how much this sucks. They don't know how heavy and bulky the cast and boot are...how everthing can ache from your head to your toes and YES....how sweaty the foot can get in that boot on a warm day dang it!

My daughter's teacher asked her what I was doing all day these days. She said it "must be nice not to have to work". GRRRRRRR!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

What was up with today?? I, too, was crabby today! And just Tuesday I woke up and felt like, finally!, I might get some semblance of normal life back. I was so happy Tuesday and Wednesday, then today, bam! crabbapotamus.

Must be something in the air, huh?

I was tempted today to try to slide my foot out of this blasted cast. What bugs me most, is those wicked scabs on my heel. They just rub, and rub, and rub. Has anyone had that, and if so, what did you do to make it stop? It's 24/7 and will even wake me up at night. Ugh!

On the upside, I've been weight bearing and doing well with that - I even called my doctor to make sure I wasn't messing anything up since it felt fine to put most of my weight on the recovery foot.

On the downside - I live in California and you want to talk about heat? It was 97 degrees here on Tuesday! I live at the beach, it isn't supposed to get hotter than 75 degrees. Well, that's my dream anyway. But dang it was hot and my foot is STILL sticking to the stupid sock thing in my cast. Ugh.

Okay, done venting. Oh, no wait. Not yet. I totally understand when you say it's so frustrating when people say, 'oh, must be nice to be home all day doing nothing'. Yeah, well, it must be nice to pee balancing on BOTH feet. Ugh. And I'm sure it's nice to be able to shower standing up! On both feet! Ugh.

Okay, now I'm done.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

SoCalGal, you cracked me up with that "must be nice to pee balancing on both feet". You are so right!! Not to mention taking care of the paperwork....looking like a contortionist! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

SoCalgal09, Yes the heel scab is the worst. I put Vitamin E skin oil on it and have soaked in the tub. And yes everyone it is wonderful. Sucks to have to get yourself up and out but it is worth it. Do you have an air cast or the cam walker? I was using the air cast and found it rubs something aweful no matter how much air you take out. I am trying my cam walker today more of a hassel to strap on but it doesn't rub as of yet. When they say to take it slow on the start of light weight bearing why do we feel like super hero's and do more than we think? My first day I did alot, thought it was ok didn't hurt too bad (that should have been my clue but oh no)and then suffered. Haven't seen so much swelling since the 2nd day after surgery.
Question: On the incision just below the ankel bone is an unhealed spot which the doc noticed and put a bandaid on. It is tender to touch and rubbed in the air cast. You would have thought at 6 weeks everything would have healed closed. Anyone else have this?
Tracie, venting is good for the soul and we all need to do it every so often. We understand and better to us than a loved one who can't understand why we are losing it on them. Think 2 weeks, 2 weeks then you should be able to sit with the boot off.
It is true about the balancing act and shower. Beautiful weather for all.
Walleye aka (Debra)

Old 04-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey Walleye, I wish I was so lucky as to have an air cast or cam walker - I'm still in the hard cast. Only a week and a half of that nonsense left, though! I can't wait.

As for the weight bearing - that's why I called my doctor. I wasn't having any pain, or any swelling. The first week I was super careful and hardly put any weight on it and then this Tuesday, it felt so great and I was putting more and more weight on it. Still no pain or swelling. That's what got me a little worried. Yesterday I did a little too much. I went grocery shopping and used the cart as a walker. After about 15 minutes I switched back to my crutches because it was hurting and then last night my ankle was throbbing a little. So today, back to baby steps, but it feels good.

I need to be careful what I wish for - today it's 61 degrees here. Brrr.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

SoCal- The heel thing happened to me too, that's why they gave me a doughnut to stop it from driving me insane. I lost a good chunk of skin when it finally fell off and it was uber sensitive. I think if any part of this still frustrates me it is that people keep treating me like, 'what? not better yet?' or uber fragile like I've made no progress. I also hate the crud my mother keeps dishing out because she thinks she's in a position of power to get away with things.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

That sucks! About the skin, your mom, and all those weenies who have no idea what this is like.

Did they give you a donut before putting on the cast? I get to be in a walker in a week and a half, so I only have a short time left in the hard cast, but if I can get some relief I'll gladly have them put a new one on!

Last edited by SoCalGal09; 04-24-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Closed Thread