It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

CarlaSt HB User
4 weeks after bunion surgery. burning toes

i had a large bunion removed from the right foot. side of my big toe. he fixed my hammer toe and put a screw in. it has been 4 weeks the pain is not so bad now. but i am not getting sleep because my toes are burning.(big toe and toe beside big toe) feels like someone is taking a lighter and running it across my toes. the feeling it not 24/7 but mostly at night or when i am resting. what is the feeling and what can i do at home to stop the burning so i can at least get some sleep. they gave me lorcet plus but it does not stop the burning pain.
what is this pain?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: 4 weeks after bunion surgery. burning toes

Usually after bunion surgery, the foot just wants to be iced and elevated. It may take a long time for the swelling to go down. Also, if you have had your foot down for too long during the day, your foot will "speak" to you about it's displeasure at night when you most want to sleep. That burning sensation may mean that your foot is protesting and just wants no activity. It is frustrating not being able to do anything, but the more you rest your foot now, the more the swelling will go down and your foot will feel better at night. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

FeatherMe HB User

Having 3 surgeries in the same place on the same foot, I think you are experiencing nerve pain. It may ease after a while, it may not. Try putting ice on it. Nerves hate being cold and they hi-tail-it.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
(female)

CarlaSt HB User

thanks to both of u. I have been on my feet way too much. i am a mom of 2 and my hubby works 12 hour days and kids are in school. so mom has to clean and take care of things at home. ive not really been up as much as i would if i had not had the surgery. just putting clothes on to wash or fixing me lunch. but doc told me i was on it too much.

I have been using an ice pack more than i should.

yesterday the doctor took my bandage off and stitches out. he put my foot in this odd white netting that is so tight. it is to keep my big toe straight but it bunches up all my other toes. I take it off half the day and can not sleep with it on because it starts to make my foot hurt.

the burning was not so bad last night. maybe it is gone for good.I did however have burning yesterday after i got back from my doc.

Guess i do need to stay off my foot more than i do. Its hard to do that when i have always depended on me to do things for me.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
(female)

monster bunion HB User

The white netting is probably a compression stocking, you wear it during the day to keep the swelling down. Take it off to sleep at night. It will get looser as you wear it more. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
(female)

CarlaSt HB User

thanks so much. i had forgot what he told me about the stocking. i knew he said its to keep swelling down. but i did take it off last night and got better sleep. the burning is not too bad now

Closed Thread