It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

Kaylob HB User
Unhappy Had PTTD surgery Tuesday- Ouch!

On Tuesday I had surgery on my right foot for my stage 2-3 PTTD. I had a FDL to PT transfer, medializing calcaneal osteotomy, spring ligament repair, lateral column lengthening with allograft bone, and right strayer procedure (ouch!!!). The surgery took 4-5 hours. I basically have been confined to my bed since then with brief trips to the bathroom on my roll-about. Both sides and the back of my ankle feel like they're burning. My ortho prescribed 1-2 percocets every 4-6 hours. I've been basically taking 2 pills every 4 hours- I've just been surprised by the amount of pain. I've had other surgeries on different body parts, but never my feet. This pain is like a burning dull pain. Any advice on when this initial pain will get better. I've been reading these boards since the week prior to surgery and they have been very informative. Thanks!:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Re: Had PTTD surgery Tuesday- Ouch!

Welcome to the Board! This is the best place to come post op (pre op too).

You had major surgery and it is very very painful. Keep taking the pain meds so you can stay on top of things....you do not want to get behind. I would not be afraid to call you surgeon and tell him that you MAY need something more for the pain.....see what he thinks.

Have you tried the icing behind the knee? I found it really helps....since it is hard to get the effect of the icing through the splint.

I am on my second foot pttd surgery and I find that for the first few weeks post op, REST is the best so take it easy and let us know if you have any more questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

Kaylob HB User
Smile Re: Had PTTD surgery Tuesday- Ouch!

Thanks for the tip. I will try the ice behind the knee.
Thanks!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Keep it elevated! I found that even having my foot slightly lower than my chest would make it throb. I don't think I had as much pain as you, I only took one percocet every 4 hours, but I was definitely watching the clock.

I think the pain started to ease after about 5 days. Just be super mellow, only getting up to go to the bathroom like you said, and not much else. Give your foot (and your whole body) time to heal. Your body just went through a major trauma and it needs time to adjust to its new 'normal'. Don't worry, that 'normal' will continue to change as you improve. Just take it day by day and it will get better. The first few weeks, its hard to look beyond the pain, but then one day you wake up and think, hey, this isn't so bad. And then the next day it's all crap again. But then the next day might be good. And so on...

Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
(female)

canuck46 HB User

I so feel for you! I am almost 6 weeks post op and I can tell you the pain does get better. I take ibuprofen at bedtime and occasionaly if pain bad take my oxycontin. I am reading all I can so I know what I might expect and this site is awesome. I have appt. with Dr. on Mon. and hopefully he will remove my cast and put me back in my boot and allow some weightbearing. The worst right now is not being able to get around easily. I am not great with crutches so use my wheelchair a lot. I use a padded secretarial chair on wheels to get around my kitchen. Works well. I can crawl up stairs on hands and knees not a pretty sight but it works! Get as many props as you need - raised toilet seat, kneeler, walker, wheelchair, cast cover, shower seat and put up as many gripper things in bathroom and shower as you need. I just take it one day at a time and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Take care.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

Kaylob HB User

Thanks so much for the kind words.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Welcome to the board Kaylob and Canuck. You will find lots of "foot friends" here. My doc had me on the same medication/dosage as you and I found it to be very flexible as I could take one or two, at four or six hours depending on the pain. I was pretty much max dosage for the first couple of weeks then would take one every four instead of two every six. Then one every six, and so on until I went for my one month checkup and the nurse gave me Lortab which wasn't as strong. I took that as needed through PT, which I had for four months.

Please please don't worry about being on the meds at this point. Some people need more than others. You heal better when not in pain. If you don't stay ahead of the pain at this point it will take you a long time to catch back up. I did that a couple of times and it was miserable.

Let us know how you are doing.

emmie

Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
(female)

Kaylob HB User
Unhappy Re: Had PTTD surgery Tuesday- Ouch!

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Today I am 1-week post-op. The pain is better- I only need 1 percocet every 6 hours during the day. I only need 2 pills before bed and when I wake up.

The big problem now (and from these boards it appears to be a common one) is whenever I feel better and want to roll round on my rollabout, I go for about 5 minutes before my foot is throbbing. As soon as I get back in bed and stick it up on 3 pillows, it feels better. Does anyone remember when that feeling went away (around how many weeks post-op?)? Thanks!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey Kaylob,

That's great that you are feeling better! I must say, I wasn't as much a fan of the knee walker as others on this board. It gave me bruises where the cast pushed into my leg and like you said, after a few minutes my foot would throb. I ended up taking mine back and just using crutches. It did make it super easy to get around grocery stores and such, but the trade-off wasn't worth it for me.

On that note... I've got some sad news for you. The pain continues on and on and on. I went to Disneyland on Sunday (it was crazy crowded for some reason!) and just the drive up, crutching around for about an hour, and the drive back almost killed me. I'm two months post op today, so if that helps give you an idea of recovery stuff. Oh, and I'm partial weight bearing in a hard cast. Yesterday I went grocery shopping by myself for the first time (I used the cart as a 'walker') and after only 20 minutes, I was sweating and shaking. It's all about baby steps. You are so new out of surgery right now that 5 minutues might just be all you can do. Don't rush it and don't push yourself to do more. This is the best time for you to just relax. Rent some movies you've been meaning to watch and keep your foot up. I have my foot up any time I'm at home. Like right now because my heel is throbbing from doing too much this morning. Dang it.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Hang in there - the first two weeks are time for you to rest. The pain will come and go I think depending on how much swelling. I just got my cast off and am back in a boot and can start weight bearing. I can now use walker and crutches but I tire easily so I also use my wheelchair and elevate my foot. I occassionaly use the kneeler but I don't feel steady on it. As much as we want to rush things I have to keep reminding myself to tak baby steps and don't rush the healing process. So keep your chin up - it does get better!
Canuck46

Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User
Question Re: Had PTTD surgery Tuesday- Ouch!

I'm brand new to this board. It's good to find friends who understand what I'm going through!

I had PTTD surgery on March 20 -- the works (tendon transfer, bone graft from bone bank, heel realignment, Achilles' tendon lengthening, cut in the calf muscle, screws, tendon and ligament repair, etc.). It will be 6 weeks from tomorrow that the surgery took place. On Monday they removed the hard, non-weight bearing cast and put me in an AirCast boot. My foot is still extremely swollen and quite ugly to look at (putting aside the shedding skin). I'm able to bear only a little bit of weight with my crutches. Also, I feel that they overcorrected, but the docs assure me that this is normal and that my foot will "flatten out". Incidentally, I went to one of the world's best foot and ankle surgeons, Mark Myerson (located in Baltimore). Are the swelling, pain and overcorrection normal?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I was told after my surgery, that over correction was normal. I'm not seeing it as a problem as I'm learning to go FWB and I'm 11 weeks post op. My foot is pudgy but it bothers me less and less. I still can't figure out a remedy for the shedding skin on my non surgical part of my leg but I'm considering a pumice stone or something because it is driving me mad! Good luck Wounded Foot & hang tough.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Myerson is indeed one of the best. They overcorrect slightly because once you start weight bearing it will settle into place. At least that's what I heard. It's hard for me to tell if mine settled in like the other one because the other one is collapsing now. but I would say it looks close to what it used to look like before the arch collapsed.

welcome to the board!

emmie

Old 04-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
(female)

Kaylob HB User

Thanks for the encouraging words. You guys are giving me hope. I went back to work today (I look in a microscope so I can sit and put my foot up in between slides). So I was able to just use tylenol for pain relief all day (no percocets at work) and I did ok. It was nice to get off my bed and out of the house. It definitely is nice to hear from people who have gone through this before. Like many of the others, I have a feeling I may need surgery on my left foot within the next 5 years so it has been nice finding this message board.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
(female)

canuck46 HB User

You sound so much like me - I had my surgery on March12th just got out of cast and in boot and can do 50% weightbearing. My foot is soo ugly, swollen and shedding. Dr. put compression bandage on to help with swelling. I am having sharp like electric shock pain in my foot and stabbing pain. My Dr. said it was nerves regenerating. I'm trying to handle it with just ibuprofen because I went to work for 6 hours the other day and I needed to be on top of my game. I am so greatful for all the support and shared info on these boards.

Closed Thread