It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

MiaB HB User
Fractured heel; seeking your input

I suppose if you're reading this, you probably share the experience of breaking your heel. Having done so myself, I send my sympathies! This is turning into a much longer road than I had anticipated, and I realized today I could use some help from others who are facing similar challenges. So, here's my first post, with a bit of background. Bear with me, as I am typing with one hand while my other wrist regains strength from being broken at the same time as my left heel. (I am really not that clumsy!)

It all started while I was leaving work on 2-20-09. In a split second, I stumbled, knocking off my shoes, and going down three steps. The doctor said it looked like I had fallen off a 10-foot ladder. I had surgery the next morning, gaining a plate and about 7 pins, and remained in the hospital six days. Since then, I've been at home, trying to keep up with a full-time job via phone and computer, and most of all, trying to heal. After two weeks in a splint, I began wearing a boot. My doctor seems to think I'm healing well, and for the past two weeks he has given me permission for weight bearing as tolerated. With a broken wrist, I am having to use a platform walker, which has me using my good hand and other arm to move the walker.

Initially I was told that my recovery would be 6 to 8 weeks (today marks 9), and only gradually has the reality hit me that that timeframe was for knitting of the bones, not return to normal. Due to swelling, discomfort, and pain (sharp, bristly, needle-like sensations around the incisions, adhesive band-like tightness around my foot and across the back of my ankle, and a feeling of hard, rocky lumpiness inside my heel), I just cannot force myself to bear much weight. My PT and OT encourage and push, and I feel like I am not working up to their (and my) expectations. Believe me, I really do want to walk!

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I would be interested to hear your experiences in terms of timeframes, pain management, and suggestions. For those of you who have/had a boot, did you ever make friends with it? (Mine is a huge black monstrosity with super Velcro straps. Are there other designs that are more comfortable? I have experimented with the extra pads and tiny air pump, but nothing really feels right. The boot slips, rubs against the most tender parts of my foot, and is not condusive to motivating me to walk.)

Thanks so much for listening. I'll look forward to your comments, and I wish you all the best, whatever your stage of healing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
Cool Re: Fractured heel; seeking your input

Hi Mia,

I'm sorry about your situation. I went thru this last July, ladder fall, plate and 11 screws.

Please join us in Calcaneal fracture #11. There are 5-10 of us there sharing the same injury.

First off I will answer your questions.

Reset your time frame for the heeling process. July 19, fracture...July 31 surgery, 9/17 approved for 100% WBing. 10/1 dropped both crutches and walked unaided in the boot. PT for 8 weeks eventually out of the boot and into regular shoes.

Back to work Nov 1. OK...It's been 9 months and my foot is still not like it was per injury. In the beginning recovery is felt by days, or weeks....for me, it's months. However there are days I wake up like the injury never happened. Other days, I can't walk on it w/out major discomfort. It's a very strange injury.

Do me a favor...copy and past your post in the other thread. Other's will help you thru this and so will I.

This is an injury of testing patience. No matter how hard you push, your foot is going so NO I am not ready to do that just yet. It's not YOUR call....so...with that, reset your recovery expectations and take it one day at a time. I am sorry to be so blunt, but this if fact.

I am here to help you, so fire away any questions or concerns you may have.
Ed

Closed Thread