It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
4mos post triple arthrodesis

Hello foot friends

If you followed my earlier posts I had my triple arthrodesis (for stage 4 pttd) Jan 15. I was 11 weeks in a cast and have been in a boot for 4 weeks now using a walker. I have very basic pt once a week....HMO. A few exercises and told to walk even if it hurts...take a pain pill (vicodine)

The problem is that I have a lot of pain along the outside of my ankle area when I walk (hobble with walker) and some swelling over all but a lot of swelling on the outside of ankle. I put my foot up and ice at least 2x a day.

Questions!

Surgeon said I should be walking (without a walker) in sneakers in 2-4 more weeks. It doesn't seem likely to me...

Is the pain a swelling within a normal range (expected)?

I appreciate any input

Shelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: 4mos post triple arthrodesis

my doc said 25lbs a week to add for weight bearing to get off crutches. so....depending on how much you weigh....it took me july 2 to sept 4th or around there to be completely off crutches.

shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

everyones different.. I had my surgery 6/12/08 and was in a cast til 1/9/09. started walking with the boot and the walker about 3 weeks after, a week after that I got rid of the walker and switched to crutches, when you're walking, crutches are alot easier to manage and its easier to get out of the house. I used the crutches for about a month and then started using just one, eventually got tired of hauling them around and switched to a cane. I STILL have swelling and can't get into a shoe, although I'm getting closer. so every case is different and do whats comfortable for you.
good luck.
~maryanne

Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

panthersunday HB User

Hello Shelly, I had my triple done on 11/12/08. I started my PT only 9 weeks after surgery and now I am back to work on 4/25/09. I had to go back to work because I was going to lose my benefits. I still have swelling and my incision still bothers me on the ankle side but I tell you I can tell a big difference from then till now. I still walk with a cane cause if I don't my back hurts. I was back in my sneakers 3 days after my cast came off. (That was a really dumb decision based on I couldn't drive with the boot on and I had to go to PT. I suffered for it believe me.) How I got back into my sneakers is I only have it half laced so I can fit my foot in it cause the swelling prevents me from wearing it correctly. I don't ever think that your life goes back to the way it was before cause I have noticed I still have issues. But I am glad I did this cause it has helped with most of the pain. I keep pushing forward cause no one else is going to do this for me but me. You just have to do this for you. Every person is different. Let me know how you are doing okay? Good Luck and God Bless. Mary

Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

mary, i posted on other thread also.... hang in there. the pain does get better. i didn't feel great until month 9. thought it would never go away.
shelley

Closed Thread