It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
heel osteotomy Partial weight bearing ????

A Question for those that have had a heel osteotomy: When you we finally allowed to start putting weight on the surgical foot did you find there to be a lump/bump on the heel? I can feel a lump and its driving me nuts. I can't feel it when I touch the heel only when I put weight on it. I memtioned it to my doc all he did was feel if there was any lumps which there isn't. So I turn to those of you that have had this surgery do you have a lump when weight bearing. And does it go away???????????

Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: heel osteotomy Partial weight bearing ????

walleye, if you mean you feel a lump under the heel, almost like you are stepping on something, then I did feel that. I think it is the shifting of the heel that makes it feel different than it did. It did get better, and I should add that I only felt that when barefoot. well, maybe a little bit all the time but mostly when barefoot. As time went on it felt more normal but that foot still feels sort of funny if I go barefoot, which I only do when walking out of the shower. It's just too weird feeling , and hard to describe.

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Thanks Emmie54. I was beginning to think something was very wrong. I hope this lump thing goes away the more I weight bear. It really is annoying.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

The best way I can describe the feeling is like you are stepping on a pencil right across the heel. Is that how it feels to you?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Yes that's a good discription. Does it get better with time? Have been over doing it the past couple of days and sure do get alot of shoting pain from the heel. I stepped up the pace to the walker this is still my first week aloud to PWB. Think maybe tomorrow I'll back off some.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

It does get better with time. When I started PWB I would often over-do and have to back off. It's better to do it right than do it quick! I learned the hard way. Throbbing and weakness is to be expected when you start PWB. But sharp or shooting pains means you've done too much and time to give it a rest.

Hang in there! You can do this!

emmie

p.s. I realize everyone is different but I found my crutches to work better for PWB. Have you tried both? The reason I liked them is because I could better mimic a normal gait, rolling heel to toe which is hard to do on the walker.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Yes I have used both. Now the problem is my shoulder is killing me. I had 2 shoulder surgerys in the last yr 1 1/2 and now with using crutches or walker it is flaring to the point I can't take the pain. I have emailed my doc that we will have to find another method of getting me back on track to walking. I just can't let this shoulder get any worse, I had it freeze up on me and don't want to ever go there again.
Next question, the scab on the heel was ozzing yesterday and is quite painful. I am 7 weeks out and really don't think it should be hurting. ???

Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would be a little concerned with the oozing, unless you have irritated it in some way. I would have your doc check that out to make sure you have no infection in there. Although I do remember that it seemed to take forever for that thing to heal.

Did you say you've started PT? They can put you on the treadmill and "unweigh" you so that you are putting very little weight on the foot. They put you in a harness thing to do it and there would be no strain on your shoulder. They gradually add weight every few days until eventually you are full weight bearing.'But that really doesn't help you when you aren't in PT. That is tough, having had shoulder surgery recently, to have to use crutches or a walker. I wonder how the arm crutches would work for you? Then at least more pressure is on the arm than regular crutches. That's a tough one. sorry I don't have a good answer for you. Hopefully someone else will.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Haven't started PT yet. He wanted me to start the PWB for 2 weeks then re-exray. If I touch the scab it really hurts or if I try to rest the foot on the heel I can't I have to turn the foot so it isn't touching anything and I don't know if this is normal. The pain kept me awake last night, just couldn't get it to quit. This is crazy I should be well on the way to being pain free right? I have kept the foot out of the boot as much as possible to make sure the air is getting at it. I see the doc on Wed. So maybe then I'll get the your nuts or your normal?????

Closed Thread