It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

canuck46 HB User
Cast is off-now in boot

Saw the Dr. yesterday. I am 6.5 weeks post op. He did x-rays and said all was fine and I could go back into my boot and be 50% weightbearing. When the cast came off I couldn't believe how swollen my foot was - it was gross! Dr. said not to be concerned he put a compression bandage on and put me in boot. Can't take boot off except to shower. I am not sure what 50% WB is but I am really scared to put too much weight on my foot and I feel like I am not walking right. I can use my crutches for short period of time and still am very dependant on my wheelchair and kneeler. Maybe I should request some PT sessions to help. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
(female)

lynnyl HB User
Re: Cast is off-now in boot

Hi Canuck, Congratulations on weight bearing. Balance is a wonderful thing! I am 12 wks post-op, but I remember being so happy to brush teeth, comb hair and get my clothes out of the closet on two feet.
50% weight bearing would be if you are standing on two feet with weight evenly distributed. One way to test weight is to put a bathroom scale under your crutches or walker and gradually put weight on the foot. (When I tried it, I was only able to go up to about 40 pounds at first, because my foot burned and hurt.) If you can get or borrow a walker, it's a nice way to transition when you're inside. The walker is a little embarrassing, but it definitely helps you get going without the strain of using crutches. Happy walking! It might hurt and you will have little setbacks, but over all you will feel yourself getting stronger every couple of days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Thanks -I will try the scale. Did you have a lot of swelling? I guess I never know when it is too much. I am so trying to hurry this along so I can drive again!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Yes lots of swelling. Can barely wear shoes even now. I had to ice several times a day -- walk, then ice and elevate, then take another little walk, ice and elevate again. I still have swelling at 12 wks. Worse at the end of the day. Is it your right or left foot? I'm just wondering because you said you can't wait to drive again.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
(female)

canuck46 HB User

It is my right foot!!! Had lots of pain last nite so I am definitely going to take it a little easier today. I can't ice yet because I have a compression bandage on my foot to help get rid of swelling and Dr. said not to bother right now. I do have a walker as well as crutches so am trying to get used to both.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck46 View Post
I can't ice yet because I have a compression bandage on my foot to help get rid of swelling and Dr. said not to bother right now. I do have a walker as well as crutches so am trying to get used to both.

I'm having surgery next wednesday and will be in a cast so I didn't think I would be able to ice either - but the POD recommended putting an ice pack behind the knee so as to cool down the blood on its way to my foot. Try this, it might help.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Thanks I will. Good luck to you on your surgery. It isn't as bad as we sometimes make it sound. The recuperation unfortunately is long but you will learn to adapt and find ways to get around the house and do things. These boards are so helpful - just knowing that what I was experiencing was not unusual and others were so supportive gives me the boost I need. Again good luck with your surgery.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

Thanks for the good luck wishes. yes, I too have found these boards to be helpful even with just setting expectations. I think that knowing all these things and the difficulties people have ahead of time will make it a lot easier to deal with when it happens to me.

Good luck with your rehab!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

You really do sound like me! I'm originally from Ohio too (Cleveland). I'm just 1 week behind you on this whole thing. My foot sounds like yours and I too go up the stairs on one knee and my hands. You're right -- it sure isn't a pretty sight! It really is scary how swollen the foot is when the cast comes off. It's hard to imagine that it will ever be normal.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

That's so true. I didn't know about these boards ahead of time and thought that my recovery would be nothing. I actually thought I'd be back at work in two weeks! These boards are really helpful b/c you can see that what you're going thru is normal and that, yes, you'll get thru it.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
Cool Re: Cast is off-now in boot

Can I ask what kind of foot injuries are here? I broke my heel bone last July and have gone thru PT and recovery etc.....I have a world of knowledge I can share with everyone who is getting ready to WB and start walking again.

There boards were a great source for my recovery and enjoy giving back to others who are going thru what I went thru.

Ed

Old 05-04-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

I think this thread deals with PTTD surgery for collapsed arches.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Yes you are right - with some complications of arthritis in my ankle - although we did not fuse my ankle. canuck46

Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
(female)

canuck46 HB User

It's good to talk to someone who is at the same time frame as I am. My biggest fear is falling - this is my right foot and I have the tendancy to lead with this foot (even though I know better!) I am doing better on my walker and crutches but stairs are still a killer for me!!! I see the Dr. tomorrow - am anxious to see-hear what comes next. I'm going nuts not driving...by the way just got back from Cleveland.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

Fortunately, it's my left foot that was operated on so I can drive. I began driving last week after the hard cast came off -- one more step -- no pun intended -- to normalcy! Of course, I still go up the stairs on one knee and down the stairs on my bottom. My operated on leg looks so weird. The calf muscle has totally atrophied and the leg is much skinnier and flabbier.
And, for the first time, I have some muscle definition above the knee from holding the foot and heavy cast up when I used crutches! Also interestingly, my 83-year old mother had her knee replaced one week before me. Her doctor at the Cleveland Clinic told us that her knee replacement surgery doesn't even compare to PTTD surgery in terms of the surgery and recovery!!! I don't know if that's so encouraging, but at least it lets us know that what we're going thru is very normal. Let me know what your doc says today.

Closed Thread