It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
(male)

Konitz HB User
Positive Calcaneous Stories Only

Everywhere on the internet you read how this injury is like a death sentence. Well in this post I would like to see the positive stories of people who recovered from this injury. So maybe when someone is scared and has just had this happened to them. they can have a bit of proof that you can come back from this.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Positive Calcaneous Stories Only

Konitz, welcome to the board! Sure you can come back from this. Most of the postings on this board are from people who are recovering and have questions or just need support. Most heal just fine and go on about their lives. Sometimes people are on boards like this because they have had issues, but realize that the people who have no problems aren't prone to post on the internet.

I have had the surgery and while I have some ongoing issues, it isn't because my PTTD surgery didn't work. I just had some other things happen. But I have gone from not being able to walk to doing most anything I want to do. My limitations are only due to pain from my other problems, not the PTT. Also, I am going to have to have surgery on the other foot, which is fairly common and is also the case for some others on here.

There are people who have posted on here who have even gone back to running. I don't think I could do that but the fact that some have means that it is possible.

Death sentence? No way. The recovery is hard and it typically takes about a year to get back to 100% But even if you only get back to 75%, you can do a lot with that! So I would plan on being not yourself for about a year then you should be able to do all the things, or at a minimum most things, you did before your foot went bad.

At what point are you now? Also, I'm curious that you said it just happened to you. Were you just diagnosed or did you have an injury? People with an injury tend to do better than those that have had cronic problems for years and years.

Keep your chin up. It's scary for sure, but you will be fine.

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Welcome Konitz! I had pttd surgery also which included a calcaneal osteotomy. So my heel was broke -so to speak- on purpose and then slid over and anchored with screws. That has heeled fine according to xrays. Are you referring to calcaneal fractures/injuries or pttd surgery? Maybe there are more complications from injury? This Board is a great place to come for anyone....with positive or not so good stories to tell. Most of the people who recover simply move on and the ones who continue to struggle for whatever reason, stick around a little longer. I think that whether your experience is good or bad...you still have valuable advice to share and if you are reading negative stories and your "story" is a success then that is wonderful! Share that with the rest!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
Cool Re: Positive Calcaneous Stories Only

Konitz. SO you think there are no positive stories in the other thread? I've been on this site since last July and met numerous success stories with fractured calcaneous fractures and recoveries, including a male who after 24 months is finally running ironman distance triathlons.

I'm sorry you feel the other thread brings you down.
Ed

Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

oh, sorry. I thought the question was about calcaneal osteotomy/PTTD surgery.....didn't think about calcaneal fractures. Good luck anyway!!

emmie

Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
Cool Re: Positive Calcaneous Stories Only

Amazing how many responses we've gotten on this subject.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Found this in a search, maybe we can hear some more.

I am 7.5 months out. Riding Harley touring bikes. Walking the dogs through my property hilly and uneven ground. Sometimes I feel it later though. But thats the price you pay.

2 miles on the tread mill 3% grade. I used to feel the treadmill the next day, but not to much anymore.

I can wear my old shoes, but would probably buy wider in the future.

Did some wrenching on my bike, felt good to be able to do it. Not easy gert up and down, but you adapt. Probably goes quicker, cause once I am down there, I don't get back up until I am done. Ha.

I still have lots of doubts in my mind, but try to stay positive.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
(female)

FiddlerJo HB User

Hi Konitz,
Thanks for starting a new thread focussing on the positive. I'm almost 13 weeks post injury (stepped off hay platform and twisted ankle and broke heel - no surgery) and remember how it felt to read all the bad stuff when I first got hurt. (Mainly medical sites, not boards like this). It didn't help me much as I was already feeling pretty sorry for myself. It does feel a lot like the end of the world for a while, and then you start to get a new, and more appreciative perspective about life. There are so many things that most people take for granted...like walking! I appreciate more of the simpler things now. I've also had to learn to "let go" and "let God" instead of feeling I have to control everything and everyone around me....

I now appreciate the scooters at Walmart...The first time I put a regular sock on my foot was great...When I fit my regular size tennis shoe on my foot I was so excited I called my husband at work.... Standing in the shower with some weight on the front of the injured foot was real progress...Starting to drive again was liberating....(going back to work last week wasn't too great!!! )

I just started partial WB a week ago and realize at almost 48 I'm not going to heal as fast as a younger person, but do see a little progress already. (I'm having a bit more pain than I should when I overdo it!) I'm going to try to think long term. After all, slow and steady really does win this race....though I don't think I'll want to do a triathalon in two years!

My goals are to start doing farm chores again, take a walk in our orchard, and get back to horseback riding.

Now I'm going to go and put my foot up and do some flexibility exercises. (It still swells a bit after a day at work and a 200 mile commute).

Hang it there fellow heelies!

FiddlerJo

Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
(male)

SteveNovak HB User

I broke my heel in two places June 15, 2009 falling from a retaining wall on my property. There was no surgery and no cast! I'm walking now with a pronounced limp and there is still some swelling and deformaty at the back of my foot 4-1/2months later. To say that this injury was devastating would be an understatement, but I'm hoping to ski this winter and eventually make a full recovery. I went to a massage therapist and chiroprator to inquire about possible help from them, but neither was very useful. I'm now going to see a podiatrist to see what he can do. I'm 47 but extremely active and I refuse to let this thing beat me. I do exercises religiously and take calcium and glucosamine daily in hopes of a speedy recovery.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Steve, I had my accident in March, no surgery either. At 4 1/2 months I was walking with a cane, though I could walk without one. Was riding a Harley. Its been getting better and better. Though I am not gonna lie. You have to pay the price for what you want. Pain currency.

I also take protein powder. I had a bad accident had more then just the foot injured.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
(female)

FiddlerJo HB User

Hello,
Well after reading what I posted ten days ago I have no complaints at the rate of my recovery! I've come a long way in that time. (started PT Monday). I am overdoing it of course --- and hurt, but I'm functioning better everyday. I'm 14 and a half weeks post injury (no surgery) and use one crutch some of the time. I can hobble around with no crutch quite well for a little bit now with a limp.(my kids are having great fun imitating me...) I pay for everything with pain---- it's necessary for improvement. It's kind of like childbirth....hurts, but worth it for what you get in the end!!! (sorry guys..).

This morning I fed the chickens, turkeys and washed and filled the waters for the chickens, turkeys and cows....I've also fed the cows a couple of times this week. I'm walking on slight slopes, gravel, sand, all with no crutches. Yes it hurts and if I over do it it hurts a lot ....but life is too short to sit on the couch...I almost went crazy for the almost 12 weeks I was told no WBing, so I'm thrilled to be limping along and starting to function on our farm again (even with the pain).

What I do to increase my success:
1. Thank The Lord for my recovery and appreciate what I do have.
2. Take aspirin before I plan to go for a "walk".
3. Take it easy at first to "warm up" and do ROM exercises and stretches.
4. Wear "crocs" in the house and tennis shoes outside.
5. Go to the edge of my pain tolerance.
6. Rest.
7. Repeat.

I also take vitamin D-3 and Glucosamine and do ROM exercises about every hour or two.

Thanksgiving is coming soon and I'm planning on wearing something other than crocs or tennis shoes and walking without a crutch! (I know, I'm such a daredevil!)

Hang in there heelies....

FiddlerJo

Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Went deer hunting. Went ok, good to know I can still do it. Used the 4 wheeler, didn't walk as much as usual. You find ways to do things, you want to do.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
(male)

SteveNovak HB User

Rode to the top of the mountain behind our place on a dirt bike today. Was even able to use the kick starter with my bad foot (it was only a 125 thumper, but still has some kick). Felt good and looking forward to skiing next month!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Let us know how the sking goes. I was thinking other day, glad, everything I own has elec start, but maybe it don't matter.

I was packing up my truck for camp. Jumped out of the bed like I normal would, threw my legs over the rail. At that moment I freaked out, thinking about landing on my foot. But it felt normal.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rode my motorcycle yesterday, walked the dog, and cut some brush. Good thing, is you have an excuse not to do much work. ha

Closed Thread