It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User
Question Post-Surgery Clothes

Hi all!

I'm having pretty serious bunion surgery next week and will be in a cast NWB for at least 2 weeks and then in a walking cast/boot thing for an additional 6-9 weeks. I'm 23 and will be able to just stay at home and lounge in sweats/pjs for the first week or two, but after that, I will have to go back to work. I'm a financial advisor, so I have to dress up for work (suits, slacks, etc.) and was wondering what kinds of clothes will be easy to wear with a cast and/or boot underneath.

Also, even when I'm not at work, but want to go out to dinner or a movie or something with my husband just to get out of the house - I can't exactly wear my pajamas and I think my jeans may be too difficult to get on or put a boot under. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by iluvmarvel; 04-30-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
(female)

MsTammy HB User
Re: Post-Surgery Clothes

I didn't have any problem with work pants or jeans. I tend to wear khaki, Docker type pants to work and they went over the boot with plenty of room. Same with jeans. Obviously skinny jeans wouldn't work but I had no problem with regular cut. The booted pant leg was a tag snugger below the knee and sometimes you could see where the top of the boot was but it was obvious that I was wearing a boot anyway so I didn't care with those jeans. The worst problem I had with jeans was that with some, when I stood up from sitting position, they leg didn't fall down naturally and that leg sometimes stayed up about an inch. But I wear boot cut so they were narroweR up around the knee and that's why. I just pulled it the rest of the way down when I first stood up. It was no big deal at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

ok, thanks!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

ya, it's really not that big of a deal as you expect. just put pants on first, pull leg up, then put boot on and pull pants down. you can always tuck them into boot too if they are too tight.

shelley

Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

I use what they call pull apart pants. They snap down the sides which makes life really easy. You can find them at some walmarts or dick's sporting.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
(female)

CarlaSt HB User

i went to Rue21 and bought what they call Dorm Pants. they are just cotton pants. they r easy to but on and feel good. u can wear them sitting around the house or going out. i got them for $5 each and bought some shirts to match. i think they r now $10 for one then half of the next pair. but still a good deal. i have a teen daughter who loves them so they will go to her when i am better.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

I'm in a boot now, and wear jeans most of the time, but when i was in the cast I lived in capri's (even in December.) and pajama pants.
good luck

Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
(female)

mary2 HB User

I have worn boots twice in the past and you may want to also think about getting a shoe on the other foot that is high and stable enough to balance you out or you could develop back and hip problems. I found that the height difference was quite painful.

I actually had a low hiker boot taken to a shoe maker and he added 3/4 inches to the sole of the shoe.( not for your profession) Many folks use a clog but I can't wear them.
The shoe needs to allow you firm balance.

Good luck! I am home in comfy clothes right now post surgery.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

should have mentioned that i wear a shoe thats almost the same height as the boot for that reason

Closed Thread