It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
PTTD: 2 weeks post op

Well I had my 2 week post op appointment today. I was a big wimp and almost passed out twice. I just can't handle looking at the "wounds" and having the stitches out hurt a bit! Here I was bragging and happy that this surgeon didn't use staples so it wouldn't be as bad but it was. I got the lovely boot....which isn't so bad compared to the splint I guess. I will be able to take it off to wash up and do a few exercises...toes up and toward the knee but NO back and forth yet. The surgeon was very pleased and said the xrays looked good. Two screws in the heel and one for the bone graft for the column lengthening. I won't be going back to see him for 6 weeks........oh it seems soooo far away. I have had the "blues" this time around. I think it is because it is spring this time and not fall like with the other foot. Everything is coming to life outside and I can't do a thing! Last time I was totally off the meds by 2 weeks. I had my prescriptions filled again today......with a few more procedures this time it really has made a difference as far as pain goes. After the doc appointment we made a trip to Target and Cub. That may have been a bit too ambitious.....I am so sore now....but it felt good to get out and about. I am only 7 months out from the other foot surgery so it is hard to be putting all my weight on that foot too much right now.

So that is my update.....just plugging along and I have not been reading posts here for a few days so it looks like I better get busy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: PTTD: 2 weeks post op

hurts, congratulations on making it to the next phase. You aren't a wimp. A lot of people get queasy looking at their incisions. In fact you are probably more the norm...I think I'm the weird one because I like seeing stuff like that.

You are at the point in your recovery where you just get sick of it, the whole helpless thing. You are stuck in between the intense recovery phase where you can't do anything and the phase where you can actually be mobile again. I HATED that in-between stage. Where you really didn't feel like doing anything at first, now you feel like it but can't. It's frustrating.

I was a weenie and took pain meds all through PT, so compared to me you are doing great. I say thank God for the miracles of modern medication and take whatever you need to feel better. I think you heal better when you aren't in pain anyway.

Take care.

emmie

Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

marybn HB User

hurts, I remember taking extra meds before I went to get my stitches out and I remember it still being an ouch! My husband was sitting right at my foot watching every move, he thought it was so interesting, I couldn't watch. As for taking meds, as long as there is pain keep taking them. You didn't get a hard cast, went right to the boot? How nice, I went from the splint to a hard cast to the boot.
Keep plugging along, hopefully it will warm up again and you will be able to sit outside some.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I took pain pills from 2/16-4/1 I was really active though so with enough rest you'll be up and painkiller free enough to enjoy the sun! I never had a splint I just had a hard cast and then a boot.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

It never ceases to amaze me how different all our recoveries are! Out of the splint and into the boot - I'm so jealous! Hopefully I'll get the boot on Wednesday coming up. Fingers crossed.

I especially enjoy reading posts from those of you who are on your second time around. I just know in my heart I'll be there within 5 years and it really gives me encouragement knowing it isn't so bad. Even now, 2 months post op, I feel like the surgery and recovery wasn't so bad and I could totally do it again. Six weeks ago that was a completely different story! It's kinda like giving birth - super painful at first, but after awhile you forget all that and want another one. Hopefully my foot won't go through a rebellious teenage stage like my daughter did.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
(female)

marybn HB User

When I had my first foot done in Nov. that first week I thought, "OMG I have to do this again," but know I can't wait to get the other foot done. I am trying to wait till Oct., summer is when we make our money in the north woods plus my daughter is having a baby in August and I am going to visit them the first week in Sept.(my first grandbaby, I am so excited!).

hurts, you are my hero for having both your feet done already and so close together. I know you really didn't have a choice because of the pain but just think next Fall when I will be starting again you will be walking pain free, or close to it. I am envious.

Closed Thread