It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

my sore feet HB User
Swelling after starting weight bearing

I am 1 1/2 weeks into finally weight bearing after 11 weeks nwb. I hurt my knee after the first day, so have been babying that and icing alot. As of two days ago my foot is doing alot more swelling and my calf and shin just above my walking boot swelled. I iced everything which seemed to help, but again the next day it did it again. I called the doc and he sent me in for ultra sound checking for a blood clot. They found nothing. Again today i've got the swelling. Has anyone had this much swelling after the first week of weight bearing? I'm wondering if my knee injury has anything to do with it. The pain in the knee is on the inside of the knee. The ultra sound showed some fluid on the knee, she said a small amount.

Any ideas?

Brenda

Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: Swelling after starting weight bearing

you will experience more swelling as you begin to do more. and you will have it for months. your knee could be a part of it, at least the swelling above your boot. keep icing and elevating. elevating is key. and a compression sock.
shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User
Re: Swelling after starting weight bearing

Brenda,
I had swelling when I started weight bearing. My knee was an issue (as I replied to your other post). My knee is much better..although I still have more strengthening and PT to do with that. My swelling in my ankle and lower leg was pretty pronounced (on and off) for about 2.5 weeks. You've only been weight bearing for 1.5 weeks (after 11 weeks of NWB) it will take time for your body to get back to normal...and swelling will be part of it. (I was told to expect swelling for up to a year). As Shelley said...ice and elevate will help. I understand your frustration...but remember that your body has been through a lot in the past 11 plus weeks. It will take some time. Hang in there...you will get there!!!
Let Me Walk
Julie

Closed Thread