It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
Help with weight bearing

Ok here goes: I am 8 weeks today from surgery heel osteotomy, get a call back from my doc office. The assistant told me I didn't need the crutches. What? I just started PWB 1 1/2 weeks ago. I was told if there is pain back off. Now she's telling me the doc said I didn't need the crutches.( they are killing a shoulder injury) What is going on. There is pain, not just when pressure is applied but usually at night I get the stabbing shooters from doing to much use during the day. I am soooooooooooo confused. Can anyone help shed some light on this. I know that pain is always the indicator to what is exceptable should I dump the crutches and indure the pain???????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Re: Help with weight bearing

Well maybe ease into one crutch? Have you started PT? They're helping me work on the walking thing. I think they mean you're healed, but yeah it is going to be extremely sore since it has been in a cast so long, I don't get shooting pain but it is very sore and you try a few weight bearing standing in one place leaning on and off and that helps the sore feeling go away. Seriously it might be easier with a PT guiding you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Am suppose to find out this week if he's going to recommend PT. I would rather just go to the heated pool and walk in that.
I do the standing thing and put as much weight on it as possible usually til it hurts then back off. I roll my foot on a tennis ball to. I am continually moving the toes and do ankle cirlces when in the recliner. By the end of the day the foot is pretty swollen.
I put a bandaid on the heel scab last night so the rough edges would stop catching on the sheets. Today there is some weeping on the bandaid. This shouldn't be weeping at 8 weeks. Am really glad I have an appt on Wed. There is probably an infection in it. Could be why it hurts so much. I'll try the one crutch thing can't hurt.
Thanks Worldwalker for checking in with me.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

I wish i could help you with some advice Walleye---but seeing as I am not allowed to bear weight yet, I don't have much to offer!
Hang in there----I have an appointment Wednesday also, so maybe I will be able to see what advice you get, and help with my own transition to PWB and FWB!!

I hope you don't have an infection, but I had one last year after my surgery, and I know, it is NO fun!! Feel better, and keep doing those little exercises you are doing while sitting----somethings better than nothing!!

Hang tough !!!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

walleye, definitely try one crutch. on opposite side. it helps ease into the weight bearing. let us know after your appt.
shelley

Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User

Walleye77,
I was just reading throught your thread. I don't know much about your injury. But, I do know from my own experience from NWB, PWB, TWB..that it was NOT easy. I had some shooting pain at night when I went from NWB to PWB...but it was manageable (only got the shooting pain once in the night...a couple of nights...after starting the TWB). I went from one week of PWB (one crutch ) to total NWB in ONE day...b/c my PT thought I was just using that one crutch for an accessory (and I was b/c I didn't want to deal with the "pain" but when I found out it was manageable and didn't set me back...I felt better. I had to go through a bit of "uncomfortable pain" to get on my feet) As Shelley said...use the one crutch on the opposite side...and ease into the TWB...(like try 2 steps without the use of the crutch and see how that feels). Are you in formal PT? If not...that would be a good idea. Pain is the indicator...and I hope you don't have an infection...don't dump the crutches and endure the pain...try to ease into it...gradually and see what happens.

Hope this helps some.
Let Me Walk

Closed Thread