I'm having severe bunion surgery this week and I have my pre-op appt with my doctor this afternoon. I'm trying to get together a list of questions I want/need to ask the doctor/surgeon during the appointment and was wondering if anyone had some questions that I should definitely ask.
Here's what I have so far:
1. What kind of a cast will I be in post-op?
2. How many screws will he be putting in?
3. How many external pins?
4. Where will the pins be (on the top or side of the foot)?
5. How long do I have to be down (limiting my "crutching" to only when going to the bathroom)?
6. How long until I can wash my foot (can I get the external pins wet, as I will have them for 6 wks)?
7. What is/are the name(s) of the procedures being done?
8. How long will I be in Physical Therapy and when do I start?
9. What kind of anesthesia will be used? (general, local, etc.)?
10. Do they do an ankle block after my surgery to numb my foot for several hours?
Any help you could provide or suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Have him draw you a picture of exactly what he is going to do. My foot surgeon actually does that on the exam table paper...draws a foot and bones and shows me the whole hing...and points out the problems on the x ray as he goes. Very informative!
Thanks! My doctor actually did that in our initial appointment and drew on my x-rays too! It was very helpful! I was very thankful that he did that because I could more easily explain to my family what I was going to have done. I just wish I knew the official names of the procedures being done. Thanks!
Hi only just seen your thread so by now you will have had your surgery. I hope everything went well. I would be interested in all the advice you would have gotten yourself now as i am scheduled for July for double bunions. Like yourself i dont know the type of surgery he is doing. i will find out when i have my pre op app.I have taken notes on everybodies advice.Anyway rest up and keep taking the painkillers. Take care!!!!.