It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

Angelique43 HB User
Constant Pain W/ Plantar Fasciitis & Heel Spurs In Both Feet

Hi all,
I am wondering if anybody out there is going through the same thing as i am?
About 3 years ago i was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis w/ heel spurs in both of my feet. MRI shows that my right foot is one big spur, from my heel to the pads behind my toes. The spur on my left foot is not so bad. I live in constant, excruciating pain every day of my life with this. I never get a break from the pain, i'm constantly hurting. At times so severe that i cry. My Dr tried the cortiszone shot in my right foot a few months back & it didn't work. It only made the pain much worse because it ruptured the Plantar Fasciitis. So we didn't attempt to even try the other foot. Although i would have been willing to do it but my Dr was against the idea. I have tried a number of things including the foot & calf exercises, rolling my feet under frozen water bottles, ice packs, hot packs, foot soaks, wearing shoes 24/7, night splints, etc. Nothing has worked. My Dr has me on pain meds. I started off on vicodin 10/325 for about a year before they stopped working & now i'm currently taking percocet 10/325. The percocets do help but i have to admit that they do more for me mentally rather than to ease my pain. With the percocet i would rate my pain, using a scale from 1-10, 10 being the worst, at an 8. It has become so dibilitating & my quality of life really sucks right now because of this. I used to be a very active person before this happened to me but now i can't even go to the grocery store without being in severe pain so my husband does the shopping. I went from being on the go all the time & having a life to being a shut in & a recluse & its so depressing. I would give anything to make this pain go away so that i could have my life back once again. Even my 17 yr son is suffering because of this because i used to do everything with him, go to the mall, movies, water parks, etc. but now i can't do anything but sit at home. I feel like i've been robbed of my life & i'd give anything to get it back. I want to tell my Dr in the worst way that i need something stronger than the percocets but i don't think he would up my meds as he already has me on 4 per day. He doesn't know it but most days i need between 6-7 to get me through my pain. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm at my wits end with this. I don't want to come off as an ingrate because i always used to cherish my life but my life now sucks & i'm tired of being in constant pain. It's so bad that i have thought about cutting off my own feet! Just to make the hurting stop. They sting, burn, ache, & throb & its just unbearable. I'm sorry for the extra long post but does anybody suffer this much with Plantar Fasciitis-heel spurs? Is there anything that i can do to fix my feet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to Angelique43:
duaneallen (07-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelique43 For This Useful Post:
timbecw (05-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Constant Pain W/ Plantar Fasciitis & Heel Spurs In Both Feet

I have had plantar fasciitis in my heels for a year but I don't have heel spurs and even at that the pain is sometimes intolerable...and only ice packs help when they are hurting so bad. Please tell your doctor that the pain meds are not working...there are more options in the pain department and one is pain patches. The Percocets you are taking have Acetaminophen/Tylenol in them and if you continue to take more that ordered you can harm your liver. Aren't you a candidate for surgery?...or has he mentioned surgery? I don't think this doctor you are seeing is understanding the amount of pain you are in and that would be something that you need relief from. What kind of doctor are you seeing?... a Podiatrists? or your regular MD?...or an Orthopedic surgeon? If it were me I would get a second opinion and would go to an Orthopedic doctor that specializes in the foot but if no foot specialty around your area just a regular Orthopedic doctor.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

Debslol HB User

I too have plantar fascitis...along with achilles tendonitis. But I also have numerous other tendon and joint problems so I don't know if this is why I handle the walking part of it a little easier or not. I originally started with bunion and hammertoe surgery in 2000 (ended up being botched) and that is when my symptoms began...I did everything too..stretches...casting...cortisone shots and by mouth. I just ahd another foot correction surgery and now the dr is like oh how long has this been going on...it was like HELLO!!!! I have orthotics which do help somewhat and now he gave me these silicone heel things which do seem to take some of the impact off. Of course I also do heavy duty anti inflammatories as well...but my stomach is starting to not be able to tolerate these so much anymore.

I too will look for answers as I certainly would like to think surgery is not the only answer. Have you gone to physical therapy at all or maybe a trainer at a gym that can help you do stretches...which is very important that you do every day before you start your day.

Debbie

The Following User Says Thank You to Debslol For This Useful Post:
duaneallen (07-02-2011)
Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #4
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

AnneD,
Thank you so much for your reply i really do appreciate it. I'm also very sorry that you are hurting also with Plantar Fasciitis. As bad off as my feet are i would surely think that i would qualify for surgery. Most of my problem is that i have only been seeing my regular MD for this problem the whole time instead of going with my gut instinct & getting my butt to see a podiatrist in the first place & the reason for this is because i wanted so much to put my faith & trust in my MD as i thought in the begining that he was doing everything he could to fix my problem but now i can see that the only thing he has done is masked the problem with pain pills & now i fear i'm addicted to my percocet but thats another post...Sigh...But i know that i would surely not take them if i could get rid of this excruciating pain. Though i'm not looking forward to the withdrawls that i've been reading about but i wil cross that bridge when i get to it. But until my pain is gone i will be taking them. I am currently trying my best to cut down & only do the 4x per day as prescribed. Yes, i am going to go see a Podiatrist just as soon as i can get an appt. My friend is going to give me the name of her Podiatrist because she suffered Plantar Fasciitis also & he did the surgery on both of her feet & she is cured! I just wish that i hadn't waited so long as i have had this for going on 3 yrs now. I was putting it off because i was going through alot of female problems this year & i just had 3 procedures/surgeries done on April 14th & this was more important & i needed to get this out of the way first. I go for my post op this Thursday & hopefully my GYN will give me good news so that i may move onto getting these feet fixed. If its not too much to ask, can you please keep me in your prayers? I would really appreciate it & of course i'll be doing the same for you. No, my regular MD never once mentioned getting the surgery nor did he ever advise me to go see a Podiatrist. Stupid me, i had such high faith in my MD & he always seemed so compassionate. I don't know what i was thinking but i sure was hoping that he was going to come up with something & heal my feet for me. The last time that i saw him for my meds he had me sign a contract & i thought that took nerve! Because i never wanted the pain pills i only wanted him to fix me. But my pain is so bad that i have to take the pain pills now....Sigh...I do worry about my liver, very much. And i do appreciate your concern. Thank you very much. What do you do for your Plantar Fasciitis? Do you have to take pain meds too? If so what does your doc have you on? I will pray for you & that your feet feel better. Thanks again. It really helps to talk about it. Take care.

The following user gives a hug of support to Angelique43:
duaneallen (07-02-2011)
Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Debslol,
Thank you so much for your reply i really appreciate it. I'm sorry that you are suffering with Plantar Fasciitis also, as well as everything else. I'm not familiar with Achilles Tendonitis, what is this? What are the symptoms? What do you mean that your surgery was "botched"? Did they screw it up & make it worse? If so, i'm so sorry. Sounds like you're been going through alot also, i'm sorry. I've never tried wearing the orthodics but my husband does. He had Plantar Fasciitis also a few years back & he did go to a Podiatrist & he went through the cortisone shots that didn't really help & then he got some custom made orthodics & he has been doing ok. Every so often his feet do start bothering him because his job requires alot of walking & he has had the same job for the past 26 yrs. But he didn't have any heel spurs & his Plantar Fasciitis didn't get as bad as mine. I think the orthodics really helped him alot. My feet hurt so bad that i can't stand to even wear shoes most of the time although i know that i should but it only hurts me more. My MD had me get night splints to wear & they didn't help either because i hurt so bad that i just couldn't stand to keep them on my feet for long. The first night that i wore them i was up all night crying my eyes out because they made my feet hurt 10x worse. Not to mention that the night splints are big & awkward & a real hassle to sleep in because its very hard to get comfortable when you're wearing ski boots! lol thats exactly what they look like lol. I have not tried physical therapy either as my feet hurt so bad that i cant stand for longer than a few minutes at a time & i can't stand to have my feet touched. I believe my husband did have the therapy though. I have done the stretches before & after getting out of bed & it doesn't do any good. I also have to be very careful what types of exercise i do because i have bad knees as well. I have had MRIs on my knees & it shows that i have no cartiledge left in my knees & its grinding bone on bone. They hurt bad & i have learned to avoid stairs at all costs. My knees crunch whenever i walk or move my legs. I have been to a surgeon for this but the guy that i went to was a real creep! He told me that i'm much too young to have a double knee replacement surgery & therefore did absolutely nothing for me. I thought, what the heck does my age have to do with anything if i need the new knees? What a creep! So the only thing that he was willing to do for me was load me up with something called "Fentynol" patches, for pain, which i refused after finding out how addicting they can be. I was too scared to try them. So, i don't know whether i could do any therapy without hurting myself worse. But i'm wondering, should i be using the anti inflammatories also? I'll see what the Podiatrist has to say after i see him. I'm going to try to get in to see a Podiatrist right away. I hope theres not too much of a waiting list. I did call a Podiatrist a while back but i ended up not going to him because when i had called to make the appt i didn't like what the receptionist said to me. She said "you should not be taking percocet, that is not the way to treat this". This really ticked me right off! how dare she say that to me when she has no clue of the suffering that i have to endure because of my feet on a daily bases. That remark certainly did not fly with me! Well, sorry for my rambling lol Thank you again for replying to my post. I really appreciate it & i will keep you in my prayers. I hope you feel better soon also. Take care.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
(female)

Paisley42 HB User

Hi,

I'm sorry you're in such pain from PF. I would definitely see a podiatrist ASAP.

I have suffered from plantar fasciitis for over 6 years and had tried all conservative treatments; unfortunately, they provided me with no relief. In November I decided to try ESWT (Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy). It is non-invasive and done with a local anesthetic. (You might want to do a search on it.)

At first, I was in more pain than prior to the procedure which really upset me. Gradually, at around 12 weeks, I began to have some better days on and off. I had a trip planned in February so was give one cortisone injection about a week before leaving. I had a pain-free vacation! I am still pretty much pain-free except when overdoing it. I don't know if this is the result of the ESWT or the one cortisone injection.

The other thing I started in January was water aerobics. (I was really getting depressed just sitting around the house all day because I couldn't walk.) I love the water aerobics and sincerely feel that doing them has contributed to my improved condition. It is basically non-impact yet strengthens the muscles. Plus, it's a lot of fun! I go at least 3/week regularly.

Hopefully, you'll soon find some relief.

Paisley

Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Paisley42,
Hi, thank you so much for your reply, i really appreciate it. I'm also very sorry that you were suffering with PF also. I never thought about doing water aerobics! I will for sure check into this. I really appreciate your info. This helps me to be able to explore new options that may work for me as well & this is good news! I'm going to do some research into it as well as for the ESWT that you've mentioned. Wow, i've never heard of the ESWT before, maybe we could be onto something! I'm willing to try just about anything at this point as i'm so tired of hurting on a daily bases. I'm so happy for you that "something", either the ESWT or the cortisone injection has lessened your pain.
I made the mistake of going grocery shopping with my husband last night, against my better judgement but i was just so sick & tired of sitting home & never getting out & now my feet are so swollen that its hard to bend my toes! When i got back home & once inside the house i just broke down & cried like a baby because i was hurting so much. So i think i will let hubby continue to do all the errands like he had been doing. Hes really so good to me & i sure do appreciate him. I would be lost without him. He does so much for me. I'm really dreading tomorrow as i have to go out for my post op appt with my GYN because i had surgery on April 14th & i'm hoping & praying that my Dr will not give me anymore bad news. I'm scared to death! But the thought of doing anymore walking on these bad feet is dreadful. But i have to do it & so i will push myself to make it through as i normally do. If you don't mind, please keep me in your prayers & i will surely do the same for you! Thanks again & do take care.
Angelique

Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

p.s.
Thank all of you so much for your kind words, support, etc. It really helps to make me feel better. Like i can keep going. I know my posts are rather long but it sure helps to get things off my mind & chest. If any of you ever need to talk or vent or ask any questions i'm here for you. Thanks again & take care.
Angelique

Old 05-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
(female)

Debslol HB User

Yes you do have to go to a podiatrist...I was scared off for awhile because of my first one (he over corrected my bunion which is why I had to have it recorrected this past winter and he also only released two of my hammertoes instead of all four which I just had the other two done with the recorrection) I am not really sure IF there is a proven treatment for this being I have been going through it for 9 yrs..It sounds like orthotics may help take some of the pressure points off...I have very high arches so mine support them..achilles tendonitis is the tendon that runs from your heel in the back so mine have extra cupping in it to accomodate...but you mention something else that we have in common and that is bad knees...my left is much worse than my right...I had corrective surgery when I was 16 on the left. Well of course today that surgery is very outdated and wouldn't have even been done if it was today...waiting for replacements is a waiting game...they like to wait until you are over 50 as you can have only 2 in a lifetime and average is 10 yrs that they last ( this may have changed already too with as fast as things do change) I think maybe because of our bad knees our gait is different...compensating for our knees...our limp on bad days do take a terrible strain on other parts of our bodies...such as the feet...hips and lower backs.

I found all of my doctors by doing searches in my area and ones that were in my plan...that is how I got my rheumatologist and she happens to be one of americas top docs. My knee doc used to be the ortho for the chicago bulls and for the olympics in 1996...so a little searching and I have at least 2 VERY good docs.

Do let us know how it goes for you...oh yea most important...don't forget to ice at the end of the day...it really helps the next morn!!!

Debbie

Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Debslol,
Hi Debbie, thanks for your reply again. Yes, we both have the knees in common also. Sorry to hear that your knees hurt you also. My right knee usually hurts me more than my left.
I'm happy to hear that you've 2 good docs. It really helps to have good Dr.'s. Heres something else that we have in common lol my MD is the team physician for the Milwaukee Brewers & the Az Rattlers lol. My Dr is a MD, DO, Sports Injury Dr.
Well i must run along as i have an appointment with my GYN this afternoon. Wish me luck lol. I find out today if he found anything bad or abnormal with the Hysterscopy that i had done on the 14th of April. I surely don't need anymore bad news.
Take care.
Angelique

Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Debslol,
My feet are killing me today! I went to my Dr.'s appointment yesterday afternoon & it got my feet to hurting more. I knew that it would but i had to go, as this was my post op appointment & i really needed to find out if i could resume all of my regular activities & also to find out what, if anything the Dr had found during my surgery on the Hysterscopy. I was given good news! The Dr found a really large polyp & he removed it & it was beneign! I still have one possible sugery left that i may need to have done but this is good news! I'd like to talk about it more but this thread isn't about my surgery nor have i posted one about my sugery. I just don't want to get into trouble for talking about my surgery on this thread when this thread is about a different subject. I think thats against the rules. Just wanted to let you know how my appointment went yesterday. I hope that all is going well for you. Take care.
Angelique

Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
(male)

MoeHoward HB User

Stretching usually cures plantar fascia.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

MoeHoward,
Thanks for your reply. Stretching has proved ineffective. I've tried the stretches with no improvement. It's worse for me because i have heel spurs also.
Angelique

Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
(female)

Debslol HB User

yea stretching really does nothing for me either...only at night and if someone else does it for me then in the morn it does feel better...but still the same pain by the end of the day

Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #15
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Hi Debslol,
How are you?
Man, my feet have been killing me! I called a Podiatrist today! I finally got the number from my friend, the same Dr who performed my friends double feet surgery & cured her. So my appointment is May 28th & i'm really hoping & praying that the Dr will do the sugery on my feet & cure me of this excruciating pain & torment that i've been living with for going on 3 years now. I'm hoping & praying that this Dr wont let me down as i feel that i have suffered enough! Please keep your fingers crossed for me, ok? I hope that all is well for you. Take care.
Angelique

Closed Thread