It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Lightbulb Water Resistance?

So apparently I can go in a pool and swim and do some PT, anyone try this? I'm really excited because that means I can do something I used to before surgery. Oh please tell me anything related to water and recovery!!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: Water Resistance?

water therapy is very good. anything you can do in the water takes off the pressure. just make sure your incisions are all healed...that is the only concern

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I'm almost 3 month post op so no worries.

HOWEVER-
I haven't figured out how I'm going to get in and out without slipping from the water. (Still on one crutch)

Last edited by WorldWalker; 05-05-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: realization

Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
(female)

aed2113 HB User

WorldWalker,
the pool has been the best thing that ever happened to me. It's pretty much the only exercise I can do besides PT and it always feels reallllyyy good. So here is my advice.
-1- even if it feels good in the water don't overdo it the first time, trust me your entire body will hate you the next day.
-2-try and do a mix between regular swimming and things to strengthen your legs. I know the kickboard helps a lot with strengthening for me but at the same time just doing freestyle really stretched my arms in spots that were sore from crutches...
-3- As for getting into the water, I also found this to be difficult. It also can depend on where you are but I have a couple different methods. First is that I would crutch up to the very edge of the pool and then kind of just drop my crutches behind me as i somewhat dove in with the good foot pushing off the wall (and I realize this sounds crazy, but if you're at the point I was at you'll try anything.) If you have someone with you you can crutch to the edge and sit on the edge of the pool and get them to take your crutches. I know it can be slippery but if you take it slow you should be ok since you can bear a little weight.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Worldwalker, You are absolutely going to love the pool. I went to the pool for my first foot surgery recovery and it was the best. You will regain everything alot faster. I too get to start pool therapy. No PT just the pool. Just take it slow, it feels real good so we tend to over do it. I go to a wellness center with a heated pool. I'm going this afternoon can't wait to get there.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

The University of Minnesota has wonderful pool areas and non slip facilities. I finally managed to get over there today and swam for about an hour and a half. It was amazing. However the shallow pool was closed so I floated in a 7ft pool and swam a lot of different ways. I really enjoyed it and I didn't have any trouble with getting in and out. People were really helpful if I needed it. However the lifegaurd kept watching me as if I was going to drown...

Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Maybe you were splashing more than others. It is life changing to be in the pool. We have to be tell the others how it feels so when they are to this point they feel what we do. Whole and pretty much pain free just a floating.

Closed Thread