It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
(female)

nannypie HB User
Question diabetic neuropathy

I saw a podiatrist in regard to foot problem for about a year. He took one x-ray of foot and gave me an orthotic for pronation and arch pain. Last appointment I noted numbness and pain in toes. He said I did not need to come back to him because there was nothing else he could do. Sent me to neurologist. Neurologist sent me to lab for tests and workup. Blood sugar came back high. Said I was pre-diabetic and told me to work on diet and check blood. Did NCS from knee to foot and it showed problem with sensory nerves. Blood sugar was normal two years ago. Check blood sugar daily,always around 115. My feet hurt so badly I can hardly stand it sometimes. First and second toe numb, and arch and ball of foot on each foot are very stiff and sore. Worse at night. No x-rays were taken to rule out structural problems. Are blood tests usually accurate? Told to go back in 3 mos. Given Lyrica. Helps but don't like side effects. Also have mild psoriasis. I was thinking of going to a rheumatologist or ortho doc for opinion. I am concerned about misdiagnosis. Anyone have suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
(female)

jmlm4245 HB User
Re: diabetic neuropathy

I went to my ortho today and he recommended a neurologist. I have only one toe with the shooting pain but it is devastating. He ruled out a neuroma. When I called the neurologist he recommended, he said he didn't treat toe pain. I'm also beside myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

nannypie HB User

Thanks for your response. It looks like you have been to an orthopaedic doctor. I will probably go that route next just to see what I can find out. I would like to have some x-rays done. Someone even suggested a chiropractor to me as well. It gets expensive going to doctors! I will pass along any info I can.
Take care.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
(male)

markhanc HB User

Hi all,

My podiatrist recommended a peripheal nerve surgeon for pain that I am having in my heel area. He recommended * link to commercial website removed *. The docs are plastic surgeons but have trained under Dr. Dellon, a pioneer in nerve surgery. I know no one wants surgery, but if they can help, why not try it? From my research so far on the subject of nerve pain, a lot of it is caused by compression of the nerves involved. These docs are experts at finding the offending nerve and taking care of it.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-21-2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
(female)

nannypie HB User

Thanks for the reply. Will look up the website suggested.

Closed Thread