It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User
8.5 weeks post op--PTTD

SOOOO foot friends!!! how is everyone doing????

I had a post op visit today------Once again, doctor is very pleased with how the heel looks and my arch (which was never completely flat anyway)----but he said the osteotomy looks great---position of heel and arch are great.
We did not do xrays this time, but he said he will do them next time, just to be sure all is well!

So he cracked me up, b/c after he had examined me while sitting, he was like, ok, stand and just put your foot flat on the floor. SO I did----then he was like,okay, put a little pressure on it---so I did. Then he was like, okay, step to the wall---and i was like WHAT??? I said, um you remember I haven't walked on this at all, right? He said, I know--I wil help you--so I took 3 steps to the wall, so he could look at my heel from behind----and he was like----okay---not quite ready for this, huh? LOL I was like, ummm----no, not like this!! I have a good sense of humor and I love my doc---so its all good I am not upset....

So, I have had a rough time in P/T----she has been stretching me really, really hard---and last nite I noticed a "fluid" pocket right above my arch that I had not seen since before surgery---and I asked him about it---and he said to have the P/T back down on the stretching---that he felt she was doing too much....

Then he tells me he is gonna go ahead and write me a script for an Arizona ankle brace---he was like, obviously, it will be quite sometime before you will be using this---but this way I can go ahead and have it casted and made.
and then he said he willl make me some orthotics on down the road.

So I asked him then, since he had had me take those 3 steps in his office, if he wanted me to start PWB working to FWB----and he shocked me, and said "NO"------he said he didn't think I was quite ready---and wants me to give it another 10-14 days---and then start in P/T as tolerated with crutchs ---

Now, Walleye-----b/c I had read about your issues and your doctor's nurse making a comment about you getting rid of your crutches---I asked him----Do you expect me to be rid of the crutches within a week of PWB/FWB---or within a certain time frame??? and he said, " NO absolutely not"------he said it will be completely at my discretion and as I feel necessary......so that was nice to hear....Now my worry will be I am sure my P/T will be wanting me to rid of the crutches much faster than the doctor!!! She doesn't like the fact that he dosn't want me walking another couple of weeks!! MY PTA is actually a friend of my Mom's---i love her---but I don't always get to work with her.

So I go back to see him in 3 weeks-----I have P/T 3 days a week------I go back to work May29th------but I will be working from home---I just will have to go into the office to pick up my equipment. I am really looking forward to that----it will really help me in the rehab process, I think.

I thinnk thats everything------Let me know what you think---Talk to you all soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: 8.5 weeks post op--PTTD

Tracie, not to be a downer or doom and gloom, but PLEASE be careful with your PT stretching and pulling too much. Forgive me if you've heard my story before but my PT I had after PTTD surgery was very experienced with a great reputation....BUT, I didn't know, and should have asked, if he had ever treated someone with my surgery. He hadn't, and I didn't find out until he was way too vigorous in pulling and turning my foot trying to force my inversion to come back (which it never will completely and that's okay) and he tore my peroneal tendons - both of them. Although my surgeon wouldn't and couldn't say for sure as they are "at risk" following surgery (due to bad pronation causing them to shorten, then re-alignment stretching them back out), I KNOW he did it because I felt it when it happened. Of course I didn't know that it wasn't normal pain from PT at the time. But when I told my surgeon about him being so forceful he was furious and wrote very specific instructions to him NOT to force my foot or stretch too hard. Kind of P.O.'d my PT, but as it turns out, I had torn peroneals and had to have a second surgery.

After that my doc sent me to a PT who specializes in feet and it was SOOOO different than what I experienced before. Yours may be great and I hope I haven't offended you but I don't want anyone to go through what I did.

emmie

Old 05-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

No, No----You haven't offended me at all-----actually it was your story that made me question whethere they were doing entirely too much stretching.

The story is the same---she has NOT seen anyone with this surgery---especially the fact that I had more than one transfer done---she almost fell over when she saw my 3 incisions---she had no idea I had that many. funny thing is----My PTA is 3 times better than my actual P/T-----I prefer the PTA to the P/T, but I can't always see the PTA-----

I DID see the PTA on Wednesday, and she told the P/T herself ( b/c the PTA is a friend of mine) that I have been through entirely too much to have this messed up, and that they need to pull back, WAY back on the stretching that they are doing. The P/T just kept saying, "well she is so tight..."---and the PTA was like, "yeah, she is gonna be, and its gonna take awhile for her to get that movement"-----
I even tried showing her, with my good foot, what i USED to be able to do, and what the doctor has shown me I will NOW be able to do ----you know, as far as the inversion of the foot.....I hope she understands now........

I will be sure to be assertive tomorrow if the P/T does my exercises, and make sure she doesn't do too much...I will check in tomorrow.

Thanks for the concern---I am in no way offended---I appreciate you looking out for me

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey guys,

It's so great to hear of your recovery Tracie! I went to the doctor on Wednesday to get my cast off and into a boot, but NOOOOO. The bones on the top of my foot haven't fused together yet, so I am back in a cast for FOUR more weeks. If you're counting, that will make a total of 13 weeks in a cast. I almost got a black one since I'm in mourning. But then I decided to keep it pink to brighten my spirits. I'm so depressed about it. I was all set to get into P/T and perhaps a pool and get back to normal.

I still think it's crazy how you're out of a cast, but still NWB, I'm still in a cast and can do FWB. When I went in on Wednesday, I asked my doctor if I'm doing anything wrong and he said, nope. Keep FWB as much as I can stand (which is about 3 minutes). I asked if FWB would upset the tiny bones that are trying to heal and he again said nope. Wow. Go figure on these doctors. I did a ton of walking today (with crutches), so I called him back and asked for a prescription for pain meds! Advil was not cutting it and I figure I'll need something when I start P/T. I must have walked 2 miles today, just running errands and looking at apartments for my daughter (she's moving back here!)

Emmie, I will definitely remember your story when I do start P/T because that's a huge fear of mine. Even when they move my foot and stretch it at the doctors, I find I instantly tense up just waiting for something to snap. I don't want to let fear be my guide, but I don't want a second surgery even more.

Three incisions? I've got five. What did I have done that you didn't, Tracie? I wish I could remember all the long medical terms like you guys can! It sounds so much cooler than, they cut my heel and put screws in it.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

SoCal-Don't worry, saying they cut the heel is cool. It gets more dropped Jaws! Besides, who else can say that in response...ok other than the foot forum club?

Hang tough Tracie, it takes a long time to walk, but I'm glad you get to return to doing some work. Time will fly.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, good, Tracie. glad you are being vigilant. And since you did remember, sorry if I bored you with it a second time!!

soCal- so sorry you have to be in the cast 4 more weeks. It's terrible to be so excited for something you think is going to happen then it doesn't! You cracked me up with the "mourning cast" thing. But now you'll be Pretty in Pink.

as far as what you tell people I always like to say: they cut my heel off, moved it over and screwed it back in. Love to see them wince or turn pale.

emmie

p.s. I got another injection today to block the peroneal nerve. The last one worked for six weeks. He agreed to give me another one but warned that he usually waits 3 months so I can't get another one now for 4-6 months. At least I put off having to make a decision for a little while longer.

Last edited by emmie54; 05-07-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey Emmie - I always tell people something like that too. The gross-out factor is so appealing. Like, when they think you're going to say, 'I broke my foot skiing' and I bust out with, 'they had to saw my heel in half, put two screws in it, then they cut two bones in the top and put in two more screws'. I love the looks on their faces.

Since my story of how this (eventually) happened is boring- I've now changed my official story to, 'I was pogo sticking in four inch heels and, well... you can imagine what happened'. It's way more interesting than, 'I've had bad feet for ages and it finally gave out while riding a bike'. Riding a bike? Boooooring! Pogo sticking? Now that's got fun writing all over it!

Last edited by SoCalGal09; 05-08-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

SoCalGal and Emmie------you guys are toooo funny---you crack me up!!!

And emmie---no you didn't bore me with your story!! Silly!! LOL----I just appreciate others looking out for me!!

Today at P/T went so much better----I had my friend the PTA----and she was ever so gentle with me!!!

SoCalGal---I think your additional incisions have something to do with the additional bones you had cut and screwed together----I did not have to have that done. I had the heel osteotomy, Kidner procedure, and two tendon transfers-----so I have 2 pins involved with the transfers and of course the metal plate and screws with the osteotomy----but thats it----so you have some extra cool hardware going on!!!!! which i must say, I do not envy you one bit!! No wonder you are in a cast for 4 more weeks----but how stinky!!!! I was going to get black on my last visit IF they had made me go back into a cast----sounds like a great idea----but I guess pink is probably a better idea too!!!

And seriously, the pogo stick idea---I was laughing out loud!!!! I think I will steal that idea from you!!! LOve it!!!!

I always tell the truth when people ask, that it is related to exercise----and that is so not a fun story either!!!

And I know----crazy that I am still NWB-----like I said he is just extra conservative---but I am building strength in P/T so I am looking at it as a good thing----maybe I will have better luck with 3.5 weeks of P/T already under my belt?????

So now its time for a relaxing day in bed--LOL---I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the UPS man----I have been shopping online

Hope to hear from you all soon!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Tracie it sounds like things are really healing well for you. Was pretty freaky when he had you take a couple of steps. You have things under control. How great is that. Thanks for asking your doc about the crutch thing. I can let my pain be my judge and even though I hate the crutches they are my BF right now.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey Footies!

Tracie - so glad I could provide some humor to your day! That makes me very happy. And, please feel free to steal my pogo stick story - I actually stole it from a friend who really did break her ankle doing that - in Target! She was so embarassed, she walked out of the store, pretending everything was fine and drove straight to an emergency room. Silly girl.

Walleye - I bought a walker several weeks ago and today I tried using it again and it feels great. When I was just starting with weight bearing, it was too much pressure on my foot, but now it is just right. Yay! Now I can crutch when I need to, and use the walker when convenient. It's way easier to make dinner with the walker and the little seat is handy as a place to put stuff when moving from the fridge to the stove, etc. I love being more mobile!

Okay, a little irritation today - my sister broke her ankle about a month ago and she went in today to get a walking cast, but instead of recasting her, they put her in a boot! I'm happy that she's now weight bearing and in a boot, but I'm so jealous!!! Especially since I just got recasted on Wednesday for another month. You people and your boots. I never thought I'd have boot envy. I can remember when I wore that sucker for two months before the surgery and I was like, "I'm burning this thing after my surgery, I'm never wearing it again" and now I'd give anything just to wear the silly thing!

Patience, patience, patience. Yeah, I know.

Last edited by SoCalGal09; 05-09-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

SoCalGal Another couples of weeks with the cast wow. You get to be the patience Saint. Its hard as we all know. So you can let go on us anytime you want. I am almost wish I was still in my boot, the tennis show is killing me may go back to it until I can walk without pain. This plantar thing is worse than the surgery. It is just the best to beable to use the walker and do things. Mine has a basket on the front so I can really load it up. My front room looks like a medical supply room. Knee-walker, crutches, walker, & tens
unit. Never know what you want to use. anyway have a great weekend.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Walleye----I think I would tell your doc to "bite you" and put that boot back on!! I know it causes the PF to flare up------but I hate that your swollen foot is crammed into a tennis shoe!!!!!-------I may have asked this before---So accept my apologies if I have----but have you put an othotic in your boot, to see if that would help with the PF while in the boot??? I never had arch troubles in my boot, so I really dont have many suggestions for that----but I figured whats the harm in asking?? LOL
I know it has to be frustrating-----hang in there!!!!

SoCalGal----I know you have to be SOO impatient at this point-----i know I would be----hopefully those bones will do what they are supposed to do---and you will be in a boot before you know it!!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

walleye, I wore Crocs when I came out of the boot. NO WAY would my foot fit in any other shoe at that point. I always had lots of swelling. The Crocs do have some arch support so they aren't all bad, though not very supportive. I was just very, very careful and it's not like I was running around or anything!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #14
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey Ladies,

I'm certainly trying to be patient. I was so upset at first, but then figured it's best to be conservative and cautious to get it fixed right the first time. And hey, what's another 4 weeks in a hard cast? hahaha

I so appreciate your understanding! If I didn't have this board, I think I'd go crazy.

Emmie & Walleye - Crocs are a great idea. I never thought of that, even though I wore Crocs a lot before the surgery because I could get through a whole day without pain. I have a really cute pair I got at Disneyland where instead of the holes in the front, there are Mickey heads! So cute. They also make Crocs in a skinnier line, but I think the regular, wider ones would be perfect.

If you do go back to the boot, I used gel inserts before my surgery to help with my plantar fasciitis and it seemed to help. Those boots are not all that comfortable.

Funny story to share... last night I had a dream where I could fly (I have them a lot), but this time I was flying with my crutches! They were my wings.

Last edited by SoCalGal09; 05-10-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Happy Mother's Day to all! I have decided after another painful day to go back to the boot with the heel gel thingy. I couldn't take the tennis shoe any more, it rubbed on the incision and the heel. This sounds crazy but the boot feels alot better and I think more supportive. I like the croc idea. I don't have the expensive ones but I think they will work I'm going to dig them out of the closet when I'm done posting. Thank you.
I haven't put the orthotic's in but could. I have very high arches or should say had on this foot he took care of that with the surgery, could be why I am having so much trouble. I am in far more pain now than I was before the surgery I dislike this very very much.

Tracie, My daughter thought I should have told him more than bite me, she was more than a little ****** at the guy. He did his job, now I have to figure out how to fix the rest. But I have all of you to help. Does this plantar fasciitis go away?

The Following User Says Thank You to walleye77 For This Useful Post:
velvetrain (04-16-2011)
Closed Thread