It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

mary2 HB User
6 days post pttd

Hi All,

I am sitting here in my bedroom looking out at spring erupting. I wish I could see all of the yard, but this view is great! daffodils, violets, azelias, ..birds flying past.,,

I was very lucky (except for the past 5 years, took me that long to find a Dr willing to operate.) The Dr believes that the tear was quite old but there was no swelling and I think this has lead to a tolerable pain level. I only stayed on percocet all day 1,&2, then night only for 3,4,& 5. Last night I only used tylenol and arnica pills. I have more pain in the small my back from resting on my back. I have always slept on my side. Any suggestions on my back??
I found the constipation from percocet the largest pain of all. It did not agree with me and I am glad to be done with it for now. I am still reading posts and see that recasting and walking after nwb cast may require a few more percocet.

I want to thank folks for all of the suggestions, I love my toilet seat with arms. My husband or son switch it quickly from upstairs to downstairs with little trouble. I love my transfer seat the shower feels so good with my trusty blue bag aka cast protector. ??Has anyone ever gone swimming with those heavy duty ones I see everywhere??? in stores, on web ??

I am a teacher and I received a box of cards from my students the envelopes were marked day1, day2 I was given instructions to open and read one each day as I recover.

I know some of you will appreciate the "kid response" the day 1 card said " Can you walk yet? When will you be back?"....... ah if it were only so easy.

I find that I have to be patient in so many ways, I want to be done and out and about, I have to learn to enjoy the time and all of the assistance I am receiving.

Off to nap.

I

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
(female)

canuck46 HB User
Re: 6 days post pttd

I love my ugly raised toilet seat-but it has been a lifesaver. I also stopped my pain meds quickly but was told to take ibuprofin because some of the other otc meds interfere with bone healing. It is still so soon after your surgery you really need to rest as much as possible. Since I live in a multi-story house I rented a hospital bed the first month so I could live in the fam. rm and be on same floor as bathroom. I too am a side or stomach sleeper and it has been difficult on my already bad back. My husband bought one of those memory foam mattress toppers and it has helped. You will soon be able to sit outside with a good book and enjoy the beauty around you. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Mary, You sound like you're really celebrating having your surgery behind you and being on the way up. My surgery was three months ago and I remember feeling like I was on the other side of a tunnel!
About your back, have you tried sleeping sort of 45 degrees toward your side? Turn the bad foot out, bend the knee and lay it sideways on a pile of pillows. Then take more pillows and prop your good leg sort of parallel to it. It might fool you into feeling like you're on your side. I know, sleeping was hard for me, too. I took my painkillers more to fall asleep than because of serious pain.
Lynny

Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
(female)

monster bunion HB User

You might try an egg-crate mattress, it helped me a lot.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Canuck, I'm surprised they told you ibuprofren was okay. I was told avoid all anti-inflammatories and they specifically named ibuprofren, motrin, aleve. Guess all doctors are different.

Mary, I too did the laying partway on my side thing on a bunch of pillows. as time went on I was able to lay on my stomach with my foot at sort of a ninety degree angle hanging over the top of a pile of pillows. Took some acrobatic moves to get in position but it felt so good! Glad to hear the pain is tolerable. I was on percocet the first month!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Yay Mary! So glad you are through the first week and on your way to recovery!

Oh, those cards are adorable. Can you walk yet? How sweet! How naive!

Emmie - I was on Celebrex and told not to take any anti-inflammatory meds while on that, but once I quit taking the Celebrex, I could use Motrin. She's taking Tylenol and arnica (a natural anti-inflammatory). Like you said, all doctors are different, so who knows.

Glad you're back on the boards Mary!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

SoCal, are you saying Ibuprofren is Tylenol + something natural? Wow, I didn't know that. I can't take NSAID's because of a past problem with stomach ulcers. Wonder if I can take that?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Emmie, No! Tylenol is acetominaphen, not an anti-inflammatory, but a pain reliever. And arnica is a separate, natural anti-inflammatory. The two are not one in the same, but two entirely separate things. Check with your doctor - you might be able to take arnica. There are several natural anti-inflammatories that do not harm the stomach lining. Some doctors are skittish about 'natural' medicines, so maybe find a naturopath who can help. I have found in my old age (44) that sometimes the 'natural' medicines work way better for me and keep my mood lighter than 'traditional' medicines. I wish I'd known in my 20's what I know now about natural medications. I guess it's never too late to learn.

Last edited by SoCalGal09; 05-08-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Hi all, Weird about differing Dr. views on OTC NSAIDS. I also worry about what this is doing to my stomach but take my nexium religiously. Mary, attitude is everything! This is a long recovery and I decided for me - I was not going to allow myself to become depressed. I just keep in mind that this is at best a temporary situation and I see many people who have to live with lifelong disabilities....so I have been reading, visiting with friends, catching up on movies etc. and enjoying this hiatus from my everyday busy, stressful life and am smelling the flowers! Good luck. Mar

Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
(female)

Pegret HB User

Ibu is NOT Tylenol. It is an nsaid. I think she said she is taking Tylenaol and Arnica. Arnica is a homeopathic product.
Peg

Old 05-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
(female)

mary2 HB User

Hi all,
Thanks for your well wishes.
I am resting more today and that is good.
Yes, I am taking tylenol and the homeopathic product arnica in pill form. I am also taking two flower essences for my impatience with it all. I also had accupuncture the day before surgery,and was hoping to have it again on Friday, but the practioner was ill.
I have tried the faking it side rest and thanks.
Last year I threw away an egg carton pad I used to use for camping. Makes me think I will try my therma rest pad and see how tht feels.
This board is a great resource. Thank you everyone who takes the time to come on and type.

Hey a request....How the heck do you type on a lap top with ease??? If I am erect enough I can't get my foot high enough and if I am low enough I can't see the keys. I have imagined a small tray like a hospital tray that can tilt slightly and has magic to hold on the computer only. Does anyone know of one??

Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey Mary,

I have this groovy thing that looks like a desk top with a cushioned bottom. It fits right in my lap, can be adjusted for my laptop and helps with the 'lap typing'.

I believe my husband got the lap desk thing at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Check it out!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:39 AM   #13
(female)

mary2 HB User

Hey So Cal Gal,
Thanks so much! I will send out my son on this Mother's Day to "shop for mom".

Happy Mothers Day to you and all the responders.
Everyone has a Mom and we all need reasons to celebrate!

Last edited by mary2; 05-10-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
(female)

mary2 HB User
Smile Re: 6 days post pttd

Hi All,
I forgot to say that I slept a bit better with my camping pad under me. It provided a bit of cushion to my sore back . Thanks for the suggestions.!

Last edited by mary2; 05-10-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: printed the #13 twice

Old 05-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Happy Mother's Day to you too! And everyone else on here who is a mom!

Good to hear you slept a little better. I love those egg pad things for the bed (I swear, as I'm progressing in my recovery, I'm getting worse in my lexicon! Yesterday I completely lost my verbs, today it looks to be nouns.)

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

Closed Thread