It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User
Cool Day after Bunion Surgery

Hi Everyone!

I told you I'd keep you updated on my recovery, so that's why I'm here. I had my bunion surgery on my right foot yesterday afternoon and I'm doing pretty well. I had a bunionectomy, 1st metatarsal osteotomy and something with cuneiform in the name or something like that. I can't remember all the names, but it was something like that. I have 2 screws in (one in the big toe area and one where they fused my 1st metatarsal joint) and 4 pins in an external fixation (on the outside of my foot going into the inside where the joint fusion is) to allow me to start putting weight on my foot sooner. I was under heavy sedation (meaning the lights were on but nobody was home ) so I don't remember anything about the surgery. I'm NWB for at least 2 weeks and am in a soft fiberglass cast and then move to a boot after the 2 weeks.

My surgeon gave me extra anesthetic at the end of the surgery to numb my foot for a while, so my foot is still numb and I don't have too much pain yet - just an achey throb. I know eventually the numbness will wear off and the pain will get worse but I'm trying to stay ahead of the pain with my pain meds and and constantly elevating and icing every hour. I got a bean bag chair for elevation (i have it on the coffee table in front of me) and its working PERFECTLY. I'm really glad I bought it.

Other than that, things are going well. My husband took the day off work yesterday to be with me and today my mom is with me and she will be tomorrow as well. I'm very lucky have family so close to take care of me over the next couple weeks.

Thanks for all the well wishes! And I wish anyone luck who has upcoming surgery themselves.

Last edited by iluvmarvel; 05-07-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
(female)

CarlaSt HB User
Re: Day after Bunion Surgery

happy things are going well so far. when the pain comes it is going to be pretty painful. not trying to scare u but telling u to take your meds b4 the pain hits. do not wait til it hurts.
No matter what, do not get up on that foot unless u need to go to the bathroom. i got on mine too soon and paid dearly for it.
ice it as much as u can. he told me 20min out of an hour but i used it more because it hurt so bad and swelled. i think me getting on it too soon was a big part of that though.
today my doc started making me bend and work my toes to break down scare tissue. it hurt but i keep thinking "cute shoes, cute shoes" its the only thing that gets me through.
I am about 5 weeks out now and still have little pain . Trouble sleeping at night because i am use to sleeping on my left side and the foot i had done is my right so i cant turn my big toe where i can sleep on that side without my toe touching something which hurts. i am off the pain meds and taking Tylenol pm to help me sleep.
but for the 1st 3 weeks i had to sleep on the couch with my leg up on the back of it. i finally am back in bed but afraid my hubby is going to bump my foot.
I get out of the shoe in 2 more weeks and into my shoes....wooohooo!!!

good luck with the rest of your recovery and remember, its going to be worth it.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
(female)

MsTammy HB User

So glad everything went well! As she said, best thing to do now is stay off the foot, ice and elevate and take those meds before the pain kicks in. I'll be hoping the best for you!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

Thanks for all the tips. Today I'm in my 2nd full day after the surgery and I'm definitely feeling the pain now. The anesthetic that numbed my foot has now worn off and I'm having to take 2 vicodin every 4 hours or so. We're trying to overlap them a little bit so I'm always on at least a little bit of meds. I'm just thankful I have family to take care of me right now - I don't know what I'd do without them!

Old 05-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

Well, the pain came today. After 2 full days after surgery (5/6), the anesthesia finally wore off in the wee hours of the morning. Needless to say, I had a rough night and couldn't take any more pain meds because I was already at my max. Thank God I have an amazing husband who would hold my hand and remind me to breath during the shooting pains that coursed through my foot. I'm doing a little better this afternoon, especially if I stay in time with the pain meds and don't get behind. I'm just VERY thankful for the amazing people that I have evidently chosen to surround myself with - I am VERY blessed.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

Hang in there. You are/or almost through the worst of it. The first week is
miserable, but it will get better. Just remember not to overdo, keep icing and elevating. Yesterday was my one year anniversary after bunion surgery.
I'm doing great and I don't regret having the surgery. Take care.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

Well, I'm 6 days post-op and am still in quite a bit of pain. I think the main reason for that is I had my first post-op appt with my doc yesterday (which went well and he said everything looks great) and he re-dressed my foot, which made the swelling go up quite a bit, and he also moved my foot around a little bit, which of course made it sore.

I haven't been sleeping well at night because i wake up with some serious pains. I think I've found the solution (I think I'm elevating my foot to far in my sleep) and hopefully fixing that will help me sleep through the night tonight.

I'm still off work. As a financial advisor, I don't feel comfortable making important decisions for clients while on narcotics. So, as long as I'm on my serious pain meds (which I DEFINITELY need at this point) I'm not going back to work. Hopefully I'll be able to go back to work next week.

Today is my first day on my own. I have pretty much everything I will need all day at an arms length here on the couch and coffee table with me that my husband arranged for me (even meds, snacks, books, etc.) We'll see how I do on my own. Of course I'm going to make sure I take it REALLY easy and REALLY slow today any time I do have to get up.

Thanks everyone for the tips and well wishes. It makes things easier knowing I'm not the only person going through all this.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

Well, I got my cast off and my stitches taken out yesterday. I've been trying to get off the hard painkillers the last couple days and am now just on Tylenol. I'm still very sore and its difficult, trying to put weight on my surgery foot. I still have the crutches and the doc says I should be off them in about 5-7 days. I can't imagine getting completely weight bearing, but hopefully it'll happen anyway. I have my first physical therapy appointment tomorrow morning and am a little nervous.

I still have 4 external pins to stabalize the joint that was fused in my mid-foot, so that is kind of irritating with my boot on. Its just a lot more frustrating at this point than I anticipated. Yesterday was really the first day I felt that "post surgery depression" that everyone was talking about. Even though I'm back to work today for the first time since surgery (I have a desk job and can keep my foot elevated), I still feel so helpless and am ready to at least get SOME of my independence back. Thankfully I have an amazing husband who is really supportive and understanding. Still, I'm ready to be rid of the crutches and at least be walking on my own again.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by iluvmarvel; 05-19-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Bless you and thanks for sharing.

Besides the 4 external pins, you probably have a screw or two?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

yes, I have 2 screws. One small one (stainless steel) in my big toe (the 2nd bone from the tip of the toe) and one larger one (titanium) holding the fusion in my midfoot (1st metatarsal to the bone directly toward the ankle).

Last edited by iluvmarvel; 05-20-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Thanks. Get well fast.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
(female)

iluvmarvel HB User

thank you!

Closed Thread