It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
(female)

jacklyn829 HB User
calcaneous fracture

[Hey- my name is jackie and I am new to this site. I fell down two stories and landed on the concrete on both my feet and fractured both of them, I had the accident 1/5/09, surgery on my right foot 1/10/09. I have a plate I'm not sure about screws. I'm in physical therapy now..but this injury is defintley life changing and I've been really down and would like to talk to anyone who understands what I'm going through,I'm 24 years old and was VERY active before this, I waited tables for 6 years and was a nursing student. I havn't worked at all since the accident, and that is the part driving me nuts..and I can't do much of anything I used to do..I had all these plans and goals before this happened and I'm looking for anyone to give me some hope that I will be back to 100% myself or at least close to that..anything I can do to help my gait and the pain in my ankles?? Any advice would really help...I went to my orthopedist two weeks ago and he said I"m as good as I'm going to get and I've only been to about 4 weeks of therapy and I refuse to belive that's true and I want to work real hard to prove him wrong..HELP!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
(female)

calc HB User
Re: calcaneous fracture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklyn829 View Post
[Hey- my name is jackie and I am new to this site. I fell down two stories and landed on the concrete on both my feet and fractured both of them, I had the accident 1/5/09, surgery on my right foot 1/10/09. I have a plate I'm not sure about screws. I'm in physical therapy now..but this injury is defintley life changing and I've been really down and would like to talk to anyone who understands what I'm going through,I'm 24 years old and was VERY active before this, I waited tables for 6 years and was a nursing student. I havn't worked at all since the accident, and that is the part driving me nuts..and I can't do much of anything I used to do..I had all these plans and goals before this happened and I'm looking for anyone to give me some hope that I will be back to 100% myself or at least close to that..anything I can do to help my gait and the pain in my ankles?? Any advice would really help...I went to my orthopedist two weeks ago and he said I"m as good as I'm going to get and I've only been to about 4 weeks of therapy and I refuse to belive that's true and I want to work real hard to prove him wrong..HELP!!!!
I know how you feel but try to stay positive! I fractured my right calc on 11th Feb 09 - plate and 6 screws! I spent a lot of time with my leg up keeping my ankle mobile after the paster cast came off! hope to be allowed to weight bear in 10 days time! I am a Pysical Education teacher so off work for a while!!!! Just relax - read lots of books - do your PT and be patient! Calc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
(female)

patw27 HB User

Quote:

Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Jackie,
Don't listen to the pessimists, you will get a lot better but it will take time and you seem to be doing very well for 4 months and 2 fractures, most people at that stage and with 1 fracture are only partial weight bearing, I wasn't even allowed to weight bear for first 3 months.
I fractured my heel 14 months ago with a 3mm displacement, no operation and was aged 61yrs, I have struggled and some days are great and some days you feel you are going backwards but I am now about 90% healed and you have age on your side so stay positive.
Doctors don't tell you what you really need to know as they haven't gone through this themselves so go back and read the calcaneous threads from number 1 onwards and you will get all the answers and encouragement you need, I know that I did and I don't know what I would have done without this site to allay my worries and fears.

Keep smiling

Pat

Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
(female)

jacklyn829 HB User

Hey Pat- I'm very greatful to have found this site as well, I have been reading the threads in my spare time (Which is alot). Everyone always thinks they understand but they really don't until they go through it and their whole life basically stops you know?I think that has been the hardest for me because I was so busy before ( I'm a nursing student and a waitress) and I was on my internship about to be working at a good job, and now I'm not able to finish and I don't know when I'll be able to. It is helping to hear of your (and others) strength helps me, and I would be happy to give anyone else advice and strength. It definitley puts life into perspective.
Hope to hear from you soon!!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
(female)

jacklyn829 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by calc View Post
I know how you feel but try to stay positive! I fractured my right calc on 11th Feb 09 - plate and 6 screws! I spent a lot of time with my leg up keeping my ankle mobile after the paster cast came off! hope to be allowed to weight bear in 10 days time! I am a Pysical Education teacher so off work for a while!!!! Just relax - read lots of books - do your PT and be patient! Calc
Calc- I'm sorry to hear about your foot and I am trying to have a positive attitiude. A positive for you being a physical ed. teacher, you'll prob. be walking in no time after you can weight bear..It's getting better everyday for me, but as I'm reading these threads I found this to be true."One step foward,two steps back"Be sure to keep me updated on your weight bearing and take care! Jacklyn

Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
(female)

lovnlif100 HB User

Hi Jacklyn...
I wanted to do a little mothering today... given the day and all! Listen, You are not as good as you will get. This injury takes a Good year Plus to get as good as you will get. Jacklyn, Your fracture will heal in 3 to 4 months... You will feel pretty good about the fractures... the heel. The other injuries relating to soft tissue (tendons) and joints will be the time consuming component. I am not quite 5 months and this month I really feel progress. My swelling is down and the pain upon standing is gone. Jacklyn, when they say take care of them, they really mean it. Also, don't listen to that OS saying stuff like that. Mine told me we could just do a fusion and didn't even look at where I was pointing. You are Very young. You will do very well. This is the time when you Will Just start making recovery Not the end of your recovery. I'm appalled that your doc was so insensitive - especially considering your age, etc. Anyway, as Pat would say chin up and Onward... You will be making outstanding progress. It will take time. Do everything, search the sites, etc... I will be sending you another site in private message when I get home from Mother's Day facial. Take care and Keep the spirits, Jacklyn.

smiles
Linda

Quote:

Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
(female)

jacklyn829 HB User

Thank you linda your message made me feel better.I have been down this weekend I couldn't get working off of my mind. I've been a waitress for a long time and mother's day weekend is a "bank" weekend and I always worked from brunch unti dinner...but anyway have you been walking for 5 months or the injury happened 5 months ago??Because mine was in january. I am trying to stay positive, doing my exercises..I would really apprectiate the website if you send it to me. Thank you for your advice I hope you enjoyed your mother's day and your facial!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
(female)

calc HB User
Smile Re: calcaneous fracture

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw27 View Post
Hi Jackie,
Don't listen to the pessimists, you will get a lot better but it will take time and you seem to be doing very well for 4 months and 2 fractures, most people at that stage and with 1 fracture are only partial weight bearing, I wasn't even allowed to weight bear for first 3 months.
I fractured my heel 14 months ago with a 3mm displacement, no operation and was aged 61yrs, I have struggled and some days are great and some days you feel you are going backwards but I am now about 90% healed and you have age on your side so stay positive.
Doctors don't tell you what you really need to know as they haven't gone through this themselves so go back and read the calcaneous threads from number 1 onwards and you will get all the answers and encouragement you need, I know that I did and I don't know what I would have done without this site to allay my worries and fears.

Keep smiling

Pat
Hi Pat ..... I am from Uk too - Edinburgh! Where do you live? I am also female -58years old - hoped to keep working to 61!? I am a PE teacher so, as you can guess, i am still off work having fractured (shattered) right calc. on 11th Feb 09 - op - plate and 6 screws . I see OS this Friday( 3 months after op.) when hopefully I will be able to weight bear! How long was it from your accident that you were walking normally and without pain? Hope your rehab is going well.

Take care Hazel (Calc)

Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
(female)

lovnlif100 HB User

Hi Jacklyn,
Jacklyn, I was injured in December. I'll update my timeline when I get a moment. I was misdiagnosed, so I was never told to NWB. Fortunately, your body takes care of these misguided attempts. I could not put much weight on it. I was in a cast (4 weeks), sent to PT for 4 weeks, then back in the boot for 3 weeks. While I was walking, I didn't feel like I could FULLY put weight on it until 3 or 4 months. I was walking though...with crutches, boot, etc. Jacklyn, there is discomfort that goes with starting to fully WB. You'll have days it feels so stiff, painful, tight, and limited. Others will feel much better. It took me a whole month before I started to feel like it didn't hurt everytime I put it down. You know when you are seated and then stand. Now, it doesn't. If I stress it, though, I have 2 or 3 days of a set back. But I am dealing with a tendon issue as well... yours may be just fine.

I'll get that site to you very soon.
Linda
Quote:
Thank you linda your message made me feel better.I have been down this weekend I couldn't get working off of my mind. I've been a waitress for a long time and mother's day weekend is a "bank" weekend and I always worked from brunch unti dinner...but anyway have you been walking for 5 months or the injury happened 5 months ago??Because mine was in january. I am trying to stay positive, doing my exercises..I would really apprectiate the website if you send it to me. Thank you for your advice I hope you enjoyed your mother's day and your facial!!!

Last edited by lovnlif100; 05-13-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
(female)

lovnlif100 HB User

Jacklyn you have to go into settings to accept private messages...

Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
(female)

jacklyn829 HB User

Hey Linda..I went to settings and i think I enabled to accept private messages.Go to settings and do what?? Thank you for the advice. WE are only like a few weeks apart that we got hurt. It's hard because I want to do everything and I want to push myself to wokr my ankles but it's a fine line between doing so much. Did you break both of them??? I can't be live you were never told to NWB. I was is in school for healthcare field and that is really bad. Do you do ROM exercises and stuff??(Do you have any tips))I"m sorry I'm asking so many questions. It is rough but now we don't take little things for granted and everyday we will keep getting more and more independent and back to our oldselves. It's just the emotional and physical stress of the whole thing...but I'm trying to keep positive..have bad days and good ones..Let me know what I can do to accept private messages!
Thanks again
Jackie

Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
(female)

calc HB User

Hi Jacklyn... Good news for me today - 12 weeks after op ( plate and 6 screws)! Had X-ray today which they were pleased with so i can now do away with the boot and weight bear with two shoes ( hurrah!). Have been doing so in the last half hour in the house - walking no crutches - foot stiff and a bit of a limp but I am REALLY PLEASED! I will work with the PT from Monday to improve strenghth and balance! I should be able to drive ( no-automatic in 2 weeks). Hope this cheers you up - though I am a PE teacher and was active before this I am 58 years old and you are young so you have youth on your side!
Also to let you know the last 6 weeks I had the boot off and foot up most of the day indoors and worked on ROM ALL the time ( constantly)! Then I used a bag of peas to ice in the evening! I have won the race between myself and my 11 month old granson who can stand on his own for a bit but has not taken his first steps yet! Good luck, best wishes, lots of ROM and enjoy the time to read! Hazel x

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
(female)

lovnlif100 HB User

Hi Jacklyn... I did send you an email, but still could not send you a private message. You need to go in an allow private messages.

sorry.
linda

Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
(female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Hazel,
I am from a place called Merthyr TYdfil in WAles.I am an NHS Trust training officer and will be 63 this November.
I fractured my heel on Feb. 28th. 2008, no operation and 3mm displacement.This is a very odd injury, at 4 months I was walking around the room without any pain, then started to limp and knee hurt, then hip hurt, then better, then worse and so on until, as if over night, walking very well.Foot still stiff sometimes in morning but most swelling completely gone.
I went back to Oz this January and the flight really affected the circulation to my foot and I had lots of pain and limping but I also tried to do too much.I bought a pair of Asics gel trainers which really helped but 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Clarks flat shoes with active air insoles and they have really made a difference.
Just take it easy and let your foot set the pace and you will make it.

Pat

Closed Thread