It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Things have been going down hill with OATS

\

I see my dr. on Wednesday for my 8 mos follow-up. Things have been going down hill. The OATS part felt okay until yesterday when I was walking. In the middle of my stride, something caught and then ripped/crunched/broke, I don't know exactly because the pain was so intense. I couldn't put weight on that foot.
I called the dr. and they said wait until Wed's appt since this morning I was able to limp around. We'll see what Wednesday brings.

I have PT this afternoon. It all got worse after my PT made me do a one legged squat on April 10th and then the PT student forced my dorsiflexion last week. That one did me in and I haven't been the same since.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-11-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB User
Re: OATS Talus update 5

Hi Kris,

I've been quiet because I too have nothing good yet to report. Still trying to figure out why I am still in pain.

I've had two injections in the last 5 weeks ... first one 5 weeks ago was in the subtalar joint which hasn't given me any pain relief yet. The one two weeks ago was in the area on the outside of my ankle behind the ankle bone which did reduce the swelling I was having a bit, but hasn't yet reduced the pain. Plus I did experience what they call a 'cortisone flare' from that one which caused incredible pain for 24 hours after the shot.

So yes I am out of the boot, still in a brace and sneakers, but my limp is so that my lower back hurts, my opposite hip, etc ... you know the drill after a day at work.

I see my OS again in the beginning of June and we'll see what he does. I suspect an injection in the joint where the plugs are which he seems to be avoiding doing, but we'll see.

I'm still feeling a bit defeated (or well, de-footed!) but trying to get on with life and not let this foot control it.

Sorry to hear you are not doing well either. Please keep us posted on what he dr says on Wed.

Have a great mothers day!
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Hey Kim,

I was wondering how your injections went. I'm sorry they haven't pinpointed the pain yet. Does your dr. have any idea what is causing it?

I feel de-footed too. I don't want it to control my life, but it is hard to not think about it when ever step is painful.

This fall I am supposed to be testing for my 2nd degree. I don't want to be the only one in my "class" to fail because of my ankle and not my skill/knowledge. That would just rub salt in the wound.

I'm feel a bit better today. I can walk much better than the past 2 days. No physical activity though and it is killing me. My workout today will be going to the grocery store.

Keep us posted Kim.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB User

Abby,

Thanks and good to hear from you!

Let's just start off by saying that going in again is bad But I understand what you are saying ... I just don't want it to happen.

I think the MRI showed so many things that had edema/effusion, etc. that he is trying to narrow down where exactly the pain is coming from. He is avoiding the joint where the plugs are though ... not sure why as I thought that would have been the first place he tried. And I still don't know what the fix is for once he finds where it is.

I am having an ok day today but that is typical as I usually spend the weekend off my feet and ice alot so Monday's are usually good. It gets worse as the week goes on and this week I am going on my first business trip in over a year ... a Gala at the Library of Congress tomorrow. I have to admit though, I am going to go back to the boot for this and try to get a normal shoe on my good foot ... I just can't go in 2 bright white sneakers

Thanks for checking in Abby and please feel free to post more often .. you give us hope!

Kim

Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

No wheelchair for you? It is a long recoop to crutch during. Pad those crutches now. First of all you need to figure how much help you have available. I have 2 teens and a spoiled hubby so little to no help. If that is your case I suggest get some meals froze and stock up on as much as possible shopping wise. It is very hard to shop on crutches. Make sure you have your main living space friendly for crutches (no throw rugs and trippy things) Also remember you won't be able to carry things and crutch so think of what you will want close by(books, kleenex, garbage can, phone) At first you won't want to do much but then you'll get restless. I really like the chair. I did not have it at first but once I got it I was able to cook and take care of myself much easier. Make sure you got some pants or something (shorts) that will go over the cast easily. Also the whole shower and bathroom thing. Shower chair is nice and also it is very hard to get off the toilet with one foot. I had a walker to help me pull up. I am sure there are alot more things that will make it easier just try to think of the basic needs and how you will be able to do them one footed. I wish you the best.
Diane

Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

My update:

Wow. I saw the dr. yesterday and he said no running, no karate. EVER.
He said my ankle was stuck in the 90 degree position from the surgeries and that I'd need to learn to live with it. He said he'd see me in 6 weeks.

So, today I went to a DPM and got a second opinion. This guy said karate was fine. I'd need a new PT that would do different things, and that running for now, should be put on hold. He also mentioned maybe some orthotics if insurance would cover it.

Then my OS called back. I had left him a message telling him that I felt like every time I saw him it was Groundhog Day all over again. He was in a different mood and explained how he really wanted my ankle to rest for 6 weeks. He said the boot would be a very good idea and maybe even crutches would be good. He wants no PT either. He said right now he is so worried about the condition of my ankle that he is just hoping I'll be able to walk painfree.

So, I'm trying to decide what to do. My kids said do the boot and I did put it back on. I want to stick with my OS since I really think he is the one with more experience with all this. His personality is so up and down though that I never know who I"m going to see in the office. Today, on the phone, he was actually nice and made sense to me. Yesterday he was all mean and short and offered no hope or explanations of anything.

So, I'll try the boot and no running for 6 weeks and we'll see what happens. I'm not happy because I am pretty sure this won't make a difference in the pain. I know, and the DPM confirmed, that the lack of ROM in the front is from scar tissue. That won't get better. The tendon pain may/may not improve. Neither dr. had anything to say about the osteotomy pain. I think they are still thinking it could be from the OATs surgery and the OCD spots.

Anyway, this boot thing is KILLING me. 6 weeks???? IT better be worth it.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarah,
My dr.s both never said anything about never doing high impact actitivites again. Both knew of my physical activites and both wanted and hoped I'd get back to them. The dr. that did my OATs gave me every impression that this surgery would work wonders and I"d be good.
Now, it seems he is changing his mind. I may have done somethings differently had I known that.

Diane-I'm hoping the 6 weeks works well too. The boot is better than a cast though. Much easier to shower in. I'm 3 years out from my injury too. I've been up and down and a year ago, after surgery 1, my ankle was doing great and I though healed well. Then, for some reason it started to tank. I just thought I'd be better after surgery and that isn't the case at all. But for me, I think most of the pain is scar tissue and tendon issues at this point. It's just hard to tell yet. The shooting pain is gone though and that is huge so I have to say that the OATs part of it is good.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #8
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Good Sunday to all,
It's sunny here after a week of big rains. Looks like a nice day. Tomorrow is back to school for me. I hope I'm ready.
Kris, I don't know about these Doc's. I would like to think that they would really be out to help you and want it to be successful. Sometimes I wonder how much they just act as a business. Wanting to make the $. My first Doc told me (and this is funny) that after the drilling and defrib(?) That in 8 weeks I would be running down the hall in high heels. We all thought that was pretty funny. But then in HER notes the very same day she wrote that this pt will most likely need OATS in both her ankles. I never even heard OATS till a year later when the ankle broke into pieces. The only reason I know of the notes is cause of the insurance fight. What a surprise to see that. Why did they not just do the OATS first and save me all that time, money and work issues. Why do just one surgery when you can do three.
The other thing is the whole 50% success. (like Dr Jeff says he tells his candidates) Did they ever tell you that? I believe I was told 80%. That I was a great candidate for this procedure. Hell 50% is a crap shoot. I also think they greatly under quote the ammount of recoop time. Shoot in that first surgery I wasn't even close to running at 8 weeks. I don't even think I was off both crutches. My work was expecting me back and I had to put them off too. I'm sorry to go off on a big whiney rant but it does seem like if they were a bit up front with the true results they may have a bit less business. We may make different decisions. Here I am 3 years later with the same pain waiting for surgery but now with a crappy job and tons of bills.
So Boo Hoo to me. I got an hour to enjoy the day before I go off to the crappy job. Sorry everyone for the downer! I do wish you all well and me too. I should just delete this but I'm not
Diane

Old 05-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Diane,
I totally agree with you. My first dr. told me I had 50% chance of getting back to karate after my Brostrom and peroneal tendon fix. At the time we had NO idea I even had any OCD issues. He found those during surgery. I was rolling my ankle all the time just walking, so at that point 50% chance at karate was worth the gamble. Then, I was great for a year or so.
This time around, my dr. (different one) said I'd be 90'% at 9 mos. THis surgery would take care of the pain and I'd be good to go. He was confident I'd do great. He knew I was a karate instructor. He knew I was a runner. At first he said running at 6 mos post op, but at my 3 or 4 mos checkup he told me I could start running as long as it was not trails. So, I went for it.
Now he turns around and says my ankle is horrible, he just hopes to keep it okay so I can walk, etc. Well, I'm no better off than before. In fact, with all the scar tissue and my loss of ROM, I'm worse off. I'm almost 9 mos out and I'm not even near 90%. So why did he tell me that? And then, my dr. has the nerve to get frustrated with me when I'm trying to get to 90% and I can't. He puts me in a boot at 8 mos out? What the heck? Where's my 90%?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
(female)

sarkin HB User

I am just floored at all the inconsistencies in healing times that everyone was told. My doc. (1st surgeon) was not upfront about how long the healing time would be, but at each visit said, "we'll see how you are doing" and it wasn't until my 6 mo. check-up that he admitted the healing time would be one year. I just expected the same with this surgery. I am in a similar time frame as I sprained my ankle almost 3 years ago, had my 1st surgery March '07 and my 2nd Sept. '08. I have to admit that hearing all of your trouble and the poor outlook (50%) makes me a little nervous! With the lesions did we really have any other option? What is the plan after your 2nd surgery has failed? Fusion? Ankle/joint replacement?

Have a good one ladies At least it is finally sunny today!

Sarah

Old 05-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarah,
Your dr. sounds like mine. We'll see you in 6 more weeks and I don't know...
Ugh. My first dr. didn't do much with the OCD stuff, just did some drilling because he found it during my 1st surgery. So I had no idea at that time what I would be facing.
This time my dr. was absolutely not upfront with me. He painted this rosy picture of what my ankle would be like after the surgery. He never mentioned a what if this fails option because it seemed to him and to me that this of course would work. He still hasn't seemed to say if it has worked or not. Now he just went to straight to "do nothing" and how my ankle is so bad that he acts surprised that I can even walk. Now he is all doom and gloom that my ankle is so horrible. How can he go from rosy optimism to doom and gloom? I don't think my ankle was THAT much worse once he got in there.
I have heard though, that it is a year. My dr. has said that, wait a year. He did say that there is a time that you platau (sp?) and that I'm there so he even admits that it won't get any better. Maybe there is some insurance rule that a year out has to pass before it is a considered a failure.
There has been no mention of ankle replacement (I do know he does them) or fusion. Neither are options I want right now as I know then my karate and running days will be over for good.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
(female)

Sparksa HB User

Hi Kris
Big hugs to you, looks like you need some...

I think you should go for a second opinion and even check to see if your OS screwed up... if he did, get a good lawyer and make him pay.
I think he gave you the ok to run a bit too soon...
My OS might have had a crap team, but at least he seems to be good... I'm still on no impact until I see him again at the end of July, that would be 5 and half months post op.
Please go get a second opinion...

Sparks

Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sparks,
I did get a second opinion, only no one here else does that surgery, so the guy I went to was overwhelmed with my case. I'd have to go far away. I have thought of seeing my old dr. who moved to Tampa, but he is 8 hrs away.
My OS did say he was agressive with PT and getting back. I thought that was great at first, but now I"m not so sure. Of course, I had no idea as he didn't tell me, that running might never be an option.
I'll give it the 6 weeks in the boot and then see him in June. If he says wait and doesn't do anything more, then I may be taking a trip to Tampa. Thing is that any other dr. will want to do their own rehab, PT, wait and see, before anything else is done. If the dr. is far away then that could get expensive.
I'm being very good and my dr. will not be able to have anything to say about me not taking it easy when I see him next.

Closed Thread