It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Bunion/Flat Feet/Fallen Arch

Some background... I'm 23 years old, and very active. I've been a competitive athlete my entire life, and played soccer in college. I have always had issues with my feet, mostly due to having flat feet. While in college I also tore my right arch. I played on it for a couple more years, and then had Topaz Surgery to offer some relief. It took away most of the pain I experienced in the arch, although the bottom of the heel is still extremely sensitive after any extended period of time on the foot. So basically the right foot has a completely fallen arch and a small bunion, and the left foot is pretty flat with a large bunion.

Now to my questions... I'm starting to look into having the bunion on the left foot treated, and possibly the right. We have had a doctor in the area recommended and will meet with them... but I am wondering if doctors will even treat bunions when the foot has other issues going on? I'm wondering if I should expect to hear flat foot reconstruction as being necessary? I don't know where to really even begin looking for info for those with flat feet and bunions. I know I'm in a pretty fair amount of pain, and only being 23 and in otherwise good health, I know its not normal. I fear what they will be like in the future.

I apologise for the length, but hope for some help, suggestions, etc. Thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: Bunion/Flat Feet/Fallen Arch

Hi,
Welcome to the boards. You will find a lot of information here, there are many people with foot problems who have insights to share. A bunion is usually caused by structural problems in your foot and these problems have a lot to do with the arch being flat. Often, the surgeon can correct the arch deformity at the same time as shaving the bunion and straightening out the big toe. A correction involving the midfoot will generally prevent the bunion from returning, but this is the big bunion surgery and involves a cast for 6 to 8 weeks and a long recovery period. Most people have mild to moderate bunions and are usually back on their feet in 4 weeks or so. A lot of your questions would be answered by your podiatrist who can measure your IM angle (intermetatarsal angle) (how badly your big toe is out of whack) and can then tell you what procedure needs to be done. Have you tried orthotics yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Re: Bunion/Flat Feet/Fallen Arch

Thanks for responding. After the Topaz procedure I was fitted with custom made orthotics. They have seemed to help, although I am still getting pain in the bottom of the heel after being on my feet for a while. Basically feels like someone pushing on the bottom of the heel really hard, sometimes also the inside of the heel.

Closed Thread