It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

Leah68 HB User
endoscopic plantar fasciotomy didn't work

I've had PF for 3 1/2 years now. I had endoscopic surgery 9 weeks ago. I thought I was getting better, but now Im right back where I started. It seems as if my feet do not want to be resting on anything. Just putting my feet on the floor while I m sitting in a chair, my feet start burning as if they are irritated by the slightest weigh bearing. Im going back to my foot doctor today and try to convence her that my feet still hurt and that my life is passing me bye, day after day. Even pain meds arent helping, but I take them anyway thinking that just maybe they will help me this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
(female)

hheenan HB User
Post Re: endoscopic plantar fasciotomy didn't work

Leah, reading your post, I kept thinking, "This could be me!"

I was first diagnosed with PF in both feet in summer 2006.

I had the Topaz fasciotomy in late February 2010 (after exhausting all options), and I have felt very little relief. Not so much the "walking on knives" feeling that I had at the beginning, and not so much the "walking on pure bone" I felt at the end. It's just a constant ache, sometimes a pulling on the fascia, sometimes stabbing on the back "U" of my heel. I'd worked myself up to walking about 3 miles a day (broken up into 2 walks), but it was rough. Once I stopped, the horrendous throbbing would start. Then it got to the point where I couldn't do the walks at all.

I work on my feet 8 hrs a day, and I haven't been able to return to work since the surgery. Changing occupations isn't an option. My state barely pays any disability, and I am starting to foreclose on my house. I am practically housebound, as being on my feet longer than 30-45 minutes can turn from uncomfortable to excruciating. I know what you mean about "life is passing me by", and people don't realize how depressing it can be to be plagued with chronic pain. I'm glad to know I'm not alone with the fasciotomy not relieving all the pain.

I'd be interested to know how you are now, a year later?

Last edited by hheenan; 06-10-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
(female)

blonde2979 HB User
Re: endoscopic plantar fasciotomy didn't work

Did you go to physical therapy?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

hheenan HB User
Re: endoscopic plantar fasciotomy didn't work

my first procedure was the Topaz fasciiotomy on both feet (Feb 2010). then in July 2010 i had the full release (endoscopic) on the Left foot only. i'd done lots of PT after the Topaz procedures, and i honestly don't think it helped. one of my doctors said it may even have prolonged the healing. i heal very slowly apparently (in everything), and the PT probably made my recovery worse.
the only PT i've been doing since the endoscopic release has been ultrasound and electro-stim. and i walk when i can, but not more than a mile.

this past week the dr suggested i try a shoe with a heel, and since we're in NY, he thought boots would be weather-appropriate. i was in the boots for a few hours and i was hobbling like an old lady! the ball of my foot hurt SO BADLY! Dr said i'd traded one pain for the other! i did just buy some of those ball-of-foot gel things to put in the boot, so maybe that'll make a difference.

but still, i cannot stand for longer than 20-30 minutes without getting that intense unbearable aching in both of my feet. i'm unable to return to work STILL (it's been 10 months). daily life is just miserable. i keep hoping that everything will make major improvements, but it's getting really frustrating!

let us know what the Mayo people say! my company cut off my medical insurance, so i have no way to try something like that. but i'd be really interested to hear their opinion.

Closed Thread