It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
ok it's almost 10 weeks

It's almost 10 weeks. So why is it still so painfull to put full weight on the foot. I try every day to walk alittle without the boot or crutches. Maybe I'm just wishing it will be gone. Going to PT today. Will post later. Getting a little nervous about going back to work next Monday. I was hoping that when I went back to work I wouldn't need any equipment to help me get around. It's such a hassle.

Last edited by walleye77; 05-14-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Re: ok it's almost 10 weeks

I'm almost 3 months out and due to atrophy my muscles are stiff and hurt, but it goes away the more I work with it. Do what little you can each day and you'll get through it. I'm just now walking without crutches though I do carry one with me just in case I get tired and I'm still in the boot. I mean two weeks ago I wanted to call it quits and now it seems less extreme. PT will help i more ways than one. I just got back from it actually.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

walleye, i know i posted before, but i didn't have NO pain until month 9 or so.
shelley

Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Hang in there walleye. I know you have heard it before but it takes a good year to recover from this surgery. Take your time with the WB. You have been through major foot surgery and as my first doc told me -even without surgery you have not walked on that foot for a long time. Each week gets better...I ditched my crutches at 10 weeks with my first surgery but still struggled each day for a few more weeks with pain and swelling...then things started to improve....really they did!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Hi, All.
Went to PT and they want me out of the boot and into a shoe. Reasoning the more you use all the tendons and muscles the better. I have grown so found of the boot because of the support I didn't want to give it up. It hurts in the shoe but am will to try using crutches. I still use the kneewalker mostly in the middle of the night much easier than crutches. I also got a strossberg sock to wear at night. I get to roll my foot on a frozen juice can couple times a day, pool walk 3 times a week, PT 2 times, and lots of toe to ankle to knee exercises. And on top of all this get to go back to work on Monday for 4 hrs a day. Whoopie! I was told this was going to take a long time but tend to forget that part. I had to tell me husband to back off telling me every day,It will get better. I just want it now!!!!! Hard to wait for good things.

Last edited by walleye77; 05-15-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Walleye, I know your husband means well. Mine did, too. But I really wanted to rip his head off every time he said "...so, is it better today?" Until you've gone through it you have no clue how difficult it is. Even encouragement gets irritating.

what you really want to hear is: " THIS SUCKS!" ....because it does.

emmie

Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Yes Emmie you are so right. Maybe I could ask him when he comes home every day to greet me with "It Really sucks right?"!!!!!! How was your day honey!!!! Nice to know that others hubby's drive them nuts too.
I am putting my WII Fit together tonight. Can't wait to try it out with the help of the crutches of course you need to balance and I have a hard time without really trying to. I way over did it today and paying dearly right now for it. I even have to ice which I never do. Oh its finally raining here, boy do we need it. Our lakes are down 5 to 10 feet. Looking forward to getting my hanging flower baskets but together this weekend and maybe get to help plant the vegetable garden. I can plant by crawling instead of standing and bending over. Easier on the back my way, may look funny but who cares just being outdoors will be great.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I'm so excited for the Wii Fit to encourage your recovery. It does suck. I have an ugly large shoe the doc gave me and it lets my ankle move around and it really makes the tendons move! I've been so gloomy walking around with a blanket wrapped around me with a walker and I'm only 21! I asked for my Wii back and I can't wait to compare notes with you. You're doing a whole lot more than I am so mad props to you.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
(female)

mary2 HB User

Walleye,
I love that you are going to garden on your knees! You have determination. I did buy a fushia for the back porch and the humming bird has already found it. I had no idea that you had a drought, I knew that CA did.
My husband is so tired out byall the extra work that he has decided to abandon the garden this year and rely on our CSA and farmer's markets. I can't blame him. I may have to search on the web and see what this Wii Fit is.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Mary2, I couldn't handle being without the garden, the fresh veggies are so worth it. I didn't get out there today. Woke up in horrid pain from over doing it yesterday and the temp was like 38 and windy. Way to cold. Minnesota is iffy this time of year. Maybe next weekend.
Worldwalker, I figured you were pretty young, when you talked about the U and finals. It sure makes you think your really old when you wrap the blanket and use a walker. Just saying use a walker makes us feel old but we aren't just need the little things to get around. I was devastated when I had to buy a walker last year before my 1st foot surgery. By the way living in Minnesota you have to have a good blanket.
Took the wii out of the box read the instructions don't think I can stand up today without the crutches. Aiming for tomorrow to install it.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Walleye -
I remember the over-doing part when I finally got to bear weight. Triple A on Sept 2. Didn't get to bear any wt. until Dec. 2. Then just felt I had to come home and clean!! I was miserable for days afterwords. I went back to work Jan. 12, supposedly for only 4 hrs. and ended up walking and standing for most of an 8 hr. day. Even had to go back to my walker (couldn't use crutches) for about a week in late Jan. The cool thing is now, I'm doing really great. Very little pain in my foot, ever, except when walking around for 8 hrs. straight. Pains in other places because I don't always walk balanced. I spent so many years before limping it's hard to get things back in order. But I just spent the last week at work doing things I couldn't do for years. 9 months. But I feel reborn!

I do hope things go well for you. Don't get too impatient. It does suck and people (husbands) get tired of the process but no more than we do. So when you need to, just remind him it takes the time it takes and he'll know when you're doing better because you'll be walking as much as you want!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Yeah, I'm 21 and the walker belongs to an older family member who no longer has a broken hip. Maybe it'll thunderstorm soon? I think a lot of people are waiting for that to happen around here. I just finished my last final and I start my online class on Monday, but yay for getting through a semester like this. I just hate the walker. It makes me feel old because its slow and bulky and people laugh. I just take it in strides because I still need the support but I couldn't hold onto the knee walker forever. I have a lot of motivation to walk away but at the same time I know I'm healed but I'm afraid of how this will change things for me and if I can recover in time to do the second leg in 2 months. Husbands I cannot comment on but maybe the Wii will lift you spirits and if you ever need a few games to just keep busy I've got a few I can suggest.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
(female)

mary2 HB User

Worldwalker= Congrats on finishing your finals...I hope you celebrated!! Wow Monday start a new class on line. Good for you.
Walleye- I know what you mean about waking up in pain. I have only been at this for 17 days but I feel like I have to keep learning the same lesson over and over again. Don't overdo or I will end up in a whole lot of pain. Listen to my body and I will be a lot happier! Good luck .

Old 05-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I did not celebrate, I kinda took some time for myself. I'll start next week in NY, but Thank You for the congrats!

Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Hope everyones weekend was good. I didn't make it out to garden but maybe next weekend. Got out and went to Menards and Home Depot, crutched thru both, then to cub and took the motorized cart. A quick stop at Walmart (crutched) for a expanadable cane. I started wearing the strassburg sock at night and I know it must be working cuz today I'm alot more sore, even before the shopping trip. If it wasn't for the pain meds I wouldn't or shouldn't be doing this much. The cane was so I could get on the back of the husbands motorcycle and go riding with him. Needed the cane so when we stop I can walk inside the resturant. Now that hurt like the devil to do. Not quite ready for a cane, but it was worth it to be out on the motorcycle. Can't wait til the day I can drive my own again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I expect tomorrow I will be in a world of hurt, not only all the other things I did, I spent time cooking that I shouldn't have been standing doing. Oh, Well.
I got try the Wii fit today. Wow it is going to be very good for the foot once I can standup without support. I love the balancing games, the yoga looks interesting and I look forward to it telling me I'm balance, right no I'm not.
I will be spending the rest of my day in the chair resting the overused foot.

Closed Thread