It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

pucks HB User
OCD surgery - thoughts? insight? pep talk?

I'm supposed to have surgery in about a week to fix an OCD. The MRI doesn't show any displacement, but there's a cyst in there. The bad thing is, it is on the inside of my ankle and the doctor says he's got to perform a medial malleolar osteotomy to get access to the area that needs fixing. He said he would need to get in there before determining whether I'd need a graph.

And that's just one of a few things that needs to be addressed during the surgery. I've been told I need to have the sinus tarsi cleaned out (too much inflammation) and the ligaments on the outside of my foot may be too stretched. I really wrecked my ankle.

I'm starting to panic a bit because it sounds so involved. I'm kind of freaked out at the pain I might be in after the surgery especially since they're cutting off part of my ankle (temporarily). I'm wondering if I'm going to need screws and eventually have to have those out, too.

I've been told I've got to elevate my leg for two weeks and not bear any weight for eight weeks.

I see a number of people have been through similar surgeries, but I can't seem to find anyone who had the medial malleolar osteotomy. Can anyone shed some light as to what this was like?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: OCD surgery - thoughts? insight? pep talk?

pucks,
Do a search for the OATs threads. We all, I think or at least most of us, have had a medial osteotomy. I think almost all OATS have some type of osteotomy. Yes, we all had screws and many, me included, had a plate too.
I've had my ligaments reconstructed twice as well.
The screws, they usually don't take them out unless they cause problems. I can feel my plate, not my screws.
Do a search for the OATS or mosaicplasty threads and read up. There is plenty of info as there are many of us who have had this surgery. Dblast, Dawn, is going to have her's soon and ya'll can recover together online. It is so helpful to not be alone during this.
It will be painful, so get ready to vent away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

pucks HB User

Just curious, did you guys have outpatient surgery, or did you end up spending a night?

I've had other surgeries before, but the idea of breaking bone really has me freaked out. I'm worried the pain may be too intense for some little pain killers.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Pucks,
What is recoop like? Rhymes with your name but begins with s. Sorry I had to. Not much humor in this. Got to find it where I can. So how did you get your OCD? Do you have help with the recoop? Sounds like your having alot done. There is some suggestions on the OATS 5 thread on what to do to prepare.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

I ended up staying for 2 nights because I have trouble with anestesia(spell) and was very sick. They would not let me out till They knew it I could crutch proper. I had to go to a lesson. It was my 3rd time so kindof a waste.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
(female)

pucks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzizzi99 View Post
What is recoop like? Rhymes with your name but begins with s. Sorry I had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzizzi99 View Post
So how did you get your OCD? Do you have help with the recoop?
I was injured playing ice hockey in November. I went foot first into the boards and wrecked my ankle. The sprain never healed and when my doctors did an MRI, they found a wealth of problems.

I have family and friends nearby to help out.

I never had a problem with anesthesia, so maybe that's why they never considered inpatient surgery. But I am really worried about the post-op pain. I'm not a fan of hospitals, but I'd rather deal with the first night there if it keeps me from being in misery.

Regarding all the screws and plates... the doctor never went into that amount of detail... do you guys have them taken out eventually? I read somwhere there are some screws that are absorbable.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
(female)

Ouch. Wow hockey. We have been watching alot of blackhawks here. Looks rough. I think most of us here still have our screws. I never heard of the absorbing ones. I think they just keep the hardware in unless it gives you trouble. I don't think there is anyone who did it as an out patient. It really is not an easy surgery. I'm not trying to scare you but it is a long hard recoop. Honestly expect a year. I hate to say it cause the doc may tell you shorter but if you read the past posts you will find a year is pretty much how long it will take you to feel totally normal. I will hope it take shorter for you but be prepared.
Diane

Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User

I just had the OATS procedure done on 4/30/09 on my right ankle. (From highly advanced OCD due to trauma [fell 2 stories and landed on feet] when I was in the USAF)I was just as nervous as you were about the post op pain. (FYI, I'm a 26 year old female) However, I'm sitting here, merely 2 weeks later with occasional pain that is managed with an 800mg. Ibuprofin. A MIRACLE IN COMPARASON TO WHAT I WAS PRIOR TO SURGERY! My doctor ordered a nerve sheeth cathadar. An amazing little device that gets inserted just prior to you heading to the O.R... How they did it for me was they gave me a shot of Versaed (SP) that makes you either not care or fall asleep. Then they started the cathadar in through the back of my thigh, watching closely with an ultra sound until they get to the nerve, and once it hits that nerve a high intensity impulse from the "probe" causes your foot or leg to twitch involintarily, indicating that they are in the right spot. You don't feel a thing. I did not fall asleep from the Versaed because I have a very high tolerance. Initially, I was scared, but once they made the initial puncture (which was painless) and I turned my head to watch the monitor (ultra sound), all my fears and anxiety's disapeared because it was truly intreaguing watching it on TV and not feeling it. Afterwards, My foot felt funny, kinda like when a limb starts to fall asleep, but without the discomfort of it actually being asleep.

As far as them breaking the bone, they don't snap it. It gets cut so it's a nice smooth clean 'break', then they put screws in to keep it in place to heal. Post operatively they may give you a device to use 3-5 hrs. a day to stimulate the bone healing process. It's like a big fat ankle bracelet with a timer on it.

When I woke up from anesthesia, the inner part of my ankle hurt, and that pain typically lasts less than 12 hours for whatever reason, so there is another type of cathadar they can do on the front part of your thigh that focuses on the inner ankle to take the pain away. That cathadar is more like a shot that lasts about 12 hrs. I requested Versaed again prior to that procedure. And by the time that medicine wore off, I was fine and dandy. The other cathadar I was talking about stays in for about 4 days. Honestly, I didn't feel I needed to take oral pain meds with it, but they instructed me to do so... so I did. I was on 30mg. Oxycontin every 12 hours and 15-20mg. Oxycodone every 3-4 hrs. as needed for pain. Asked my doctor if I could D/C the Oxycontin about 5 days after surgery and they said it was fine, and threw out the Oxycodone, cuz I couldn't notice a difference anyway. So why kill my liver, right? They did give me Vicodin (per my request) just to have on hand, in case... and haven't touched it.

I did spend the night in the hospital, but don't really feel that I needed to. If your doc is doing this outpatient... then he/she has a plan up their sleeve for good pain management and you won't have to worry. Don't be afraid to request higher doses or higher quantity of pain meds. Initially I was RX'd 10mg. of Oxycontin and I knew that wouldn't work, so he wrote it for 30 to 40 mg. every 12 hrs. (which just meant take 3-4 tabs.)... Oh, and before you head outta the hospital, ask for a shot of Demoral. That got me through the ride home wonderfully.

I work in a medical clinic, so I knew what to ask for, other people may be more oblivious to what kinds of things to ask for, and that's understandable. The one thing I can say is "Don't be afraid to ask!".

Is someone going to be with you for the 1st 3 days or so? The nice thing about being in the hospital overnight was that they did have a urnial cathadar in, so I didn't have to worry about getting up to go to the bathroom all doped up.

Hope this helps ya!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks View Post
I'm supposed to have surgery in about a week to fix an OCD. The MRI doesn't show any displacement, but there's a cyst in there. The bad thing is, it is on the inside of my ankle and the doctor says he's got to perform a medial malleolar osteotomy to get access to the area that needs fixing. He said he would need to get in there before determining whether I'd need a graph.

And that's just one of a few things that needs to be addressed during the surgery. I've been told I need to have the sinus tarsi cleaned out (too much inflammation) and the ligaments on the outside of my foot may be too stretched. I really wrecked my ankle.

I'm starting to panic a bit because it sounds so involved. I'm kind of freaked out at the pain I might be in after the surgery especially since they're cutting off part of my ankle (temporarily). I'm wondering if I'm going to need screws and eventually have to have those out, too.

I've been told I've got to elevate my leg for two weeks and not bear any weight for eight weeks.

I see a number of people have been through similar surgeries, but I can't seem to find anyone who had the medial malleolar osteotomy. Can anyone shed some light as to what this was like?
I agree, we've all had some form of osteotomy... but most docs talk to their patients in lamese terms and just tell us they're going to "break the bone". For me, it's not been a big deal. My doctor is Dr. Christopher Bibbo, from Marshfield Clinic, Marshfield Wisconsin... graduated 3rd in his class in med school. So maybe since he's so friggin' smart and good at his job, I have a lot less pain than most, I don't know. But I do know the break is actually minor symptomatically, and for me that consists of 2 large screws holding the intentional break together and 2 smaller screws keeping the talus in place... or the allograft, not exactly sure. But, I'm feelin' good. Wouldn't even know it was broke if he hadn't told me.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I was to stay 3 days and ended up longer due to infection.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
(female)

demogoat HB User

Hey, I was injured playing hockey too. Feet first into the boards and wrecked my ankle in Decemeber, 1978!

Had two operations back then and got almost 30 years out of my OCD before having OATS almost a year ago.

Margaret

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks View Post

I was injured playing ice hockey in November. I went foot first into the boards and wrecked my ankle. The sprain never healed and when my doctors did an MRI, they found a wealth of problems.

I have family and friends nearby to help out.

I never had a problem with anesthesia, so maybe that's why they never considered inpatient surgery. But I am really worried about the post-op pain. I'm not a fan of hospitals, but I'd rather deal with the first night there if it keeps me from being in misery.

Regarding all the screws and plates... the doctor never went into that amount of detail... do you guys have them taken out eventually? I read somwhere there are some screws that are absorbable.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #12
(female)

dbast HB User

Hey, it's Dawn. My OATS is scheduled for next Friday..May 22. So, I suppose we will be recovery buddies!! My doc has told me this will be an overnighter and it will be up to me at that point if I stay longer. From what I understand, the main reason for the longer stay is only pain control. He has been very vocal about how painful this will be, which is good cuz I'd rather expect it than be surprised by it.

Thanks Mstreet for the journal!! And that was not meant sarcastically! That was very good info. Now I have more questions for my doc....he's gonna love me!!

Dawn

Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
(female)

ahodous HB User

Hi,
I had OCD surgery 4-6-09. I just had to have debridment, drilling and tendon repair done. Right now things are looking good but the OS reminds me every visit that one day I may need the OATS. I hope this is just his way of preparing me in case this doesn't work and I can't come back and say he never warned me.

It seems like you are going to have more work done that I did but my pain was manageable. This was something that scared me also. Ice packs and keeping it elevated have been key things to making it manageable.

Mine was just and outpatient procedure.

To get through the NWB time I would highly recommend a knee walker or roll about. This has been a life saver. I had to use my crutches for the first two weeks and now just for getting around the house at times. I feel I have more freedom with the walker and can go out and do more things. My insurance company even paid for it. I see my OS Monday and hopefully he will tell me I can begin walking again.

Have a great day!
Angela

Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Hey Pucks...

I had the OATS procedure 8 weeks ago and I'm doing well. My OS performed a medial osteotomy, I now have three screws that will remain in my ankle permanently. They don't bother me, hopefully they won't bother me when I start to fully weight bear. I was lucky to not have major pain, but everyone reacts differently to pain. So be ready for whatever. My pain was well controlled. I stayed in the hospital for two days, and am glad I did. I had a nerve block from above my knee to my foot for about 24 hours. I had a hydromorphone pump but hardly ever pushed the magic button. The nurses kept bringing me Norco and Lyrica every five hours or so. When I left the hospital I was on pain meds for about seven more days even though I didn't feel I needed them, I wanted to make sure I didn't have any breakthrough pain. I was able to ween off without any pain. My pain at its worst on a scale from 1 -10 was a 4.
I wish you the best!!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Hey Pucks...

I had the OATS procedure 8 weeks ago and I'm doing well. My OS performed a medial osteotomy, I now have three screws that will remain in my ankle permanently. They don't bother me, hopefully they won't bother me when I start to fully weight bear. I was lucky to not have major pain, but everyone reacts differently to pain. So be ready for whatever. My pain was well controlled. I stayed in the hospital for two days, and am glad I did. I had a nerve block from above my knee to my foot for about 24 hours. I had a hydromorphone pump but hardly ever pushed the magic button. The nurses kept bringing me Norco and Lyrica every five hours or so. When I left the hospital I was on pain meds for about seven more days even though I didn't feel I needed them, I wanted to make sure I didn't have any breakthrough pain. I was able to ween off without any pain. My pain at its worst on a scale from 1 -10 was a 4.
I wish you the best!!

Closed Thread