It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
(female)

Dotty00 HB User
Good Outcome

First.... I want to thank everyone on this board.....I have learned so much from all of you in preparation for my triple arthrodesis surgery. I had my surgery this Monday and all went very well. One really bad day /night and now I am up and about....pain meds only mid day and before bed. I live in a quad level house that makes moving indoors a challenge. I was very active prior to surgery even with the pain..so struggling to move around is frustrating...but I am determined to so.

I feel for so many of you who have to face such terrible problerms ...but wanted to post a postive result for others facing this type of surgery. Sometimes things go very well.... hopefully I am not the exception

Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
Re: Good Outcome

Glad to hear you are doing so well

Shelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
(female)

kathall HB User

Hi, I am new to HealthBoard. I am having a Triple Arthrodesis on June 11 and am scared to death about the whole thing. I have been reading and rereading all the posts about it and learning alot from this forum. My doctor says I will be NWB for 8 weeks. I'm unclear about what happens after that and if I will be able to return to teaching when school starts up the last week of August.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Dotty00. Glad to hear you are doing well. I also live in a multi-level home and ended up choosing my fam. rm level close to bathroom, my office, and the garage to make my new home for a few weeks. It worked well for me and I was lucky to have help the first two weeks. You will learn all kinds of new tricks to get around and up and down stairs safely. Even though it is a long recup. each day is better then the last and 1 more day closer to walking. Good luck. Mar

Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
(female)

canuck46 HB User

[QUOTE=kathall;3987165]Hi, I am new to HealthBoard. I am having a Triple Arthrodesis on June 11 and am scared to death about the whole thing. I have been reading and rereading all the posts about it and learning alot from this forum. My doctor says I will be NWB for 8 weeks. I'm unclear about what happens after that and if I will be able to return to teaching when school starts up the last week of August.[/QUOTE]

Kathall, I wish I had found these boards prior to my surgery - they are very helpful. I had my surgery March 12th and am now out of a cast and in a walking boot. After 8 weeks my Dr. took x-rays and was pleased with healing so I am able to put some weight on my foot and am upright and walking with crutches and/or a walker. I would probably venture to say that at 8 weeks you will not be going back to school. Is this your right foot or left foot? If it is your right foot you will not be able to drive until you are out of your boot. I am at almost 10 wks and can't put full weight on my foot yet and still get swelling and tired after "crutching" around all day. Next step is to get back into a shoe and then I will start PT. The surgery is not bad - you will have pain meds for pain management and you will be surprised at how quickly you will be feeling better. Good luck and all the people on these boards can relate and will share such good ideas and support you in getting better. Take care, Mar

Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
(female)

kathall HB User

Hello Mar, Wondering how recovery is going. I would have to be ready to go back to school 10 weeks from surgery. From what I'm reading that is pretty optimistic. I'm thinking of delaying my triple arthrodesis until next May. I would take off from school after state testing is over and that would give me a solid 3 1/2 months to recover. Part of me just wants to get it over with but on the other hand I can't imagine having to have a sub start out the year. Are you on schedule with your recovery? Kath

Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
(female)

yaohua HB User

Kathall - I am in Houston, tx also. My OS is from the Medical Center (Methodist Hosp). I had my PTTD surgery 4/1/09, my stitches removed 4/13, and hard cast removed 5/11. I was put in a big black air boot 5/11 and was told to start to walk. However, it was not that easy to just start to walk once the boot is on. I began PT in the 7th week and walked in boot with the assistance of crutches. Yesterday, I went to a wedding with one crutch. It was OK. After the wedding and reception, my foot swelled a lot and very uncomfortable. I don't need to see my doctor until 6/22. However, I have had a lot of pain lately. Don't know what was the reason because I have not had any pain since a few days after the surgery. I am debating if I should go to see him. So far I had 4 sessions of PT. It helped some, not that great. It is frustrating to experience pain now since I have not had any pain for a long time after surgery. Hopefully, I am getting better every day as days go by. But, so far it is not the case. There are good days and bad days and they are not alway influenced by my activities.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
(female)

ggola HB User

Kathall,

I teach in the DFW area and had my TA on April 29th. Of course, I couldn't wait any longer to have the surgery due to my damage causing nerve damage to my foot. My foot would go numb after just standing 10 minutes. I have three more weeks of NWB. My next Dr's appointment is June 22nd and I'm hoping to have my second hard cast removed and to move into a boot and PT. My Dr told me that he would not be surprised if I still needed a cane or one crutch when school starts back in August for some small assistance. I don't see how you could do this in just 11 weeks but, I'm no expert.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Yaohua = Is your PT weightbearing or non weightbearing? My Dr. ordered non-WB. You may be having more pain because of PT and I would discuss this with your Dr. or the nurse/MA. I find that when I am having a lot of swelling pain gets bad and I get those "electric shocks" which is what I call them. Better to ask then let it slide. Take care, Mar

Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Kath-I am doing great (so my Dr keeps telling me) I had my triple on March 12th. I m still in my boot but am weightbearing and using one crutch for balance. I can wear a tennis shoe or croc in the house but use both crutches. I just started to drive 2 days ago (wearing a tennis shoe then putting boot on outside). This was my right foot so I understand it might be easier if left foot. I still get lots of swelling and pain but OTC drugs take care of pain. I will start PT next week. I put up with swelling in my ankle, wearing a brace etc and finally couldn't stand the pain nor my inability to walk. I really planned for this surgery and am happy it is over. If you can stand, walk and are pain-free then wait until a more convenient time to plan your surgery but if you can't stand the pain and not walking - the sooner the better. Everyone heals at different rates - I am 62 so it might take me longer. If you can do the majority of your job from a chair then go for it, but I haven't met a teacher yet who isn't on their feet a lot! I know the idea of this surgery is scary no matter when you have it but I can honestly say it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The worst is the non-weightbearing phase but once you are able to move around it does get easier. I wish you good luck whatever you decide. Take care, Mar

Closed Thread