It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

woods5 HB User
Question It's been awhile, still having issues with feet...looking for input

Hi all,

Just a refresher on my issues. I have planters fasiciitis in my left foot and 2nd metatarsal overload in my right foot. My have had the PF for about 2 years now. Have done just about everything possible for it. The right foot I experience pain and swelling in the ball of my foot.

I finally broke down and got custom orthotics, back in March. I guess that has been about the last time I posted on here. My orthotics have metatarsal pads built into them. At first they we're very uncomfortable, but now I am used to the. I was told to wear them 2-3 months and see how my feet are. Well I am just over the 2 month mark. I can say I have alot less pain, but I still experience the swelling in the ball of my right foot at night, when I take my shoes off. This just seems strange. I wear my shoes all day with my orthotics and still have the swelling. They have done a MRI and x-ray and find nothing. My PF foot still get stiff, when I sit down and I seem to notice most pain after I have been sitting for a while. The other thing too is if I touch the inside of my heel, just behind the arch, it is very tender there.

Another thing too, is I have stopped walking distance. But with the weather getting nicer out, I on occasion with will to pick my daughter up from school, which is a little over 1/2 a mile. If I do this for to many days, the PF pain comes back greatly.

I feel like my life is on hold, because of my feet. So what do you think? Should I wait a little longer or go back to the Dr's? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shannon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Re: It's been awhile, still having issues with feet...looking for input

I'm young, 23, but have suffered from PF for a while due to inherited flat feet. As a competitive athlete this sucked. I eventually tore my arch. I saw a number of different doctors, all who had completely different suggestions, ranging from "theres nothing wrong with you" to "we need to open you up immediately." I had been treating it for years (i.e. rest, ice, cast, physical therapy, stretching, massages, etc) to no avail. We were watching the news one night and saw this new procedure called Topaz. We called that doctor the next day, got me an appointment a few days later, and had this minimally invasive procedure a couple weeks later. It helped the pain in the arch a GREAT deal. I'm about 1.5 years out from surgery and rarely get soreness in the arch. I still get some pain in the bottom of my heel, but thats because my feet are still flat and obviously how the weight is distributed.

The surgery uses a small "wand" inserted through a small 1" or less incision (my doctor did it without any incisions, just through little holes, so no stitches required!). This wand pokes in to the soft tissue, removing some of the scar tissue built up, and tricking the body into thinking the area is injured, thus promoting healing. It was done under twilight sedation. I had about 42 little holes, but I had it done in 3 areas... most people at this place have like 10-15. I was in a boot on crutches, non weight bearing for 4 weeks, and then a couple weeks walking with the boot. Again, most people are off the crutches in a week, if they use them at all. Like I said, it has worked extremely well at relieving the pain in the arch. I'd check to see if theres anyone in your area that does this procedure. You can search the internet for it (its commonly used for tennis elbow, etc). And, our insurance did cover it. I was also set up with some customized orthotics.

Closed Thread