It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User
Ankle OCD - 2 Weeks post-op OATS

I had my OATS procedure done on 4/30/2009 and am exactly 2 weeks out right now and quite amazed at my recovery to this point.

I did have the nerve sheeth cathadar for about 4 days, worked wonders... and my 6 year old took it out when it was time. She thought it was totally cool.

At my 1 week post-op visit, I thought I was doing great, and it turned out that under my plaster splint, I had excessive swelling that nearly ripped through my staples. HOWEVER; I didn't feel a thing with that. (This was not do to surgery complications, it was because I felt good so I was walking around with crutches, a LOT. My foot was suppose to be elevated with the exception of going to the bathroom and that was it. So, from my foot being down, it swelled excessivly. So, I elevated my foot and saw my O.S. 4 days later and the swelling was down significantly. The new splint they had put on @ my 1 week appt. hurt like hell. It also dug into my staples and I almost ripped the whole dang thing off one night... but I knew all of that was my own fault because I didn't listen, I was walking around (on crutches) like nothing happened. Silly me.

Haven't taken any pain killers for about 1 week now which is great, just an 800mg Ibuproifin as needed for a naggy ache here and there.

My most difficult task is showering, thank God for the shower chair we bought as well as the removable shower head.

Other than that, I'm doing great. I'm driving (and of course, my doc says no driving since it's my right foot), but I just accelerate to the speed limit, hit cruise, then hover my foot over the break pedal in case it's needed. I guess it's illegal in WI to drive with a cast of any sort on, but I called our police department and 2 of the officers there didn't know if it was legal or illegal... and another day saw a friend of mine who is a police officer and he didn't know either. So, if they don't know, how are they going to give you a ticket? Just watch ur *** from getting sued if you ARE in an accident.

So, overall, I wanted to let everyone know how I was doing... which is great!

Is this because my doc is so great? He graduated 3rd in his class in med school! He seriously knows his sh*t!!!

I'll continue to update this as the healing process goes on....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Ankle OCD - 2 Weeks post-op OATS

Wow, sounds like you are doing great when you keep your ankle up. Where did you go to have this done?
I'm so happy things are going well for you. Be careful with the driving.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
(female)

dbast HB User

That's awesome!! I'm so glad you are doing well. Funny how those docs know what they are doing when they give instructions to follow.....LOL!!! I know it feels okay to drive, but I just wonder what kind of damage you could do if you had to slam on the brakes.....if he has to go back in, it might not be such a cake walk the second time around....BE CAREFUL!!! Well, keep it elevated and keep us posted.

Dawn

Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Mstreet, that is Great news!!! I'm glad to hear everything has been going great for you! I agree with Dawn, hitting the brakes so early on if you have to sounds scary. Be careful with that. So did your doc say it was ok to drive? I'm asking because I also had surgery on my right ankle and haven't been driving. I didn't ask my doctor if I could drive though, I just figured he'ld say no.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User

They are aware of me driving, but have documented and strongly advised me NOT to drive. I'm driving on my own will and am aware of the risks of driving @ this point in the game. Prior to surgery, I did practice breaking (in case of emergency) with my left foot. Which let me tell you... was quite the experience. I'm only driving into town, which is only 1 mile, and don't even need to exceed the speed of 45 mph.

Went out to a bon-fire last night and had a couple drinks, kept my foot elevated the entire time, woke up this morning and still doing great!!!

My doctor is Dr. Christopher Bibbo out of the Marshfield Clinic in Marshfield, Wisconsin. AWESOME doctor, graduated 3rd in his class!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Woo hoo! That's awesome mstreet I'm glad too see you're not letting recovery get you down. I'm 8 1/2 post op now...and just starting to venture out more other than going to class. I almost went to Sea World yesterday, but chickened out. It's so hot down here and humid I didn't feel like crutching around or wheeling around in a hot boot. Makes my foot feel like it's in a sauna!
The most fun I've had through recovery is going out to eat with my husband and reading books at coffee shops. Sometimes he just drives me around in the car and it's nice. I always find a way to keep my leg elevated when I'm out too. Oh, and I went to Target for the first time the other day. I used one of those motorized wheelchairs they have with a basket in the front. Oh my gosh, it was hillarious! It beeps so loud when you reverse!!! I don't think I'll go back to target until I'm FWB. It wasn't a fun experience dodging people and maneuvering through aisles.
Have a great weekend...

Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User

Oh my God, that is hilarious... about going to Target - because I TOO was there the other day and used the cart and was mortified by the obnoxiously loud beep! Plus I had my foot propped up onto the cart part as I was... well... snailiing along. And it seemed like EVERYONE starred at me in the thing. Natrually, I had to make a joke out of it... my significant other would get ahead of me and I'd loudly state, "Don't make open this bad boy up full throttle!" He'd slow down and I'd catch up right behind him and hit the "beep" horn... but do it to the "Shave and a Hair Cut" jingle. So, he'd get all embarrased because it made ppl look and stare even more! Then of course I hit and got stuck on the corner of a shoe rack... so I sat there laughing uncontrollably. What else can you do in moments of humiliation... but find your own humor in it! Needless to say, my signif. other was VERY releived to get me out of there! But yea, I don't have any desire to go though that again.... I will be avoiding at all costs!

Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I refused to use those motorized things after I used them once. It was so embarrasing! They are so slow and the beeping is uncalled for, really.
There is no real easy way to prop your leg up on them either. And where to put the crutches? That was the biggest pain.

Closed Thread