It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
(female)

Brosiah HB User
Ok this may sound silly...Pinky toe break?

I know there are way more serious issues on this board but I have to ask...My husband tripped over a brick earlier and his pinky (small) toe is swollen about 3 times normal size. It is purple and he can't bare weight on it with out serious pain. Now I also might add that this man is not a complainer and always takes pain in stride. Can a doctor even do anything? I know broken bones can cause blood clots but is this too minor to worry about?
Thanks for any info

Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Ok this may sound silly...Pinky toe break?

My daughter broke her pinky toe five weeks ago. Hers has not healed yet and she had to have a bone stimulator, which she will use daily for three weeks. She was put in a boot for two weeks then a stiff soled shoe (called a post-op sandal) for two weeks (and which she now has to wear for three more weeks). It depends on how it looks at the next x-ray as to whether she can come out of the sandal. It depends on where the fracture is and if it is displaced or not as to the course of treatment. She actually fractured this same toe five years ago but it was higher up in the toe and it was displaced. They had to set it three times before they got it in the right position. But, once it was set they only buddy taped it to the toe next to it and she didn't have to wear any kind of boot or post-op sandal. Since this time it broke closer to the base she immediately had to immobilize it even though this one wasn't displaced. So, it definitely matters that he see an ortho to determine the treatment. It could either never heal or heal improperly and always give him problems. The sooner the better so they don't have to re-break it to set it, if it does need setting.

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 03:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

Have your husband's foot checked by a doctor. I had bunion surgery on the big toe side and the little toe side of my right foot last May. I had an osteotomy (bone cut) and pins on either side. The big toe side healed more quickly with much less pain. I was surprised how stubborn the pinky toe side was to heal. I learned from this board that the fifth metatarsal bones are very tricky to set and then to heal......who knew?? If a bone is broken, it may not heal properly without assistance.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
(female)

day6142 HB User

Broke right pinky toe when my son and I dropped an artificial Christmas tree on it Thanksgiving weekend. OMG - how that hurt ... and still does! Went to doc yesterday because it is still red, swollen and now whole foot is swollen and whole foot aches constantly. Doc said toe is broken and while walking for the last 2 weeks have compensated to displace pain from broken toe so foot has swollen with what doc called "sympathy swelling." Put me on steroids to treat as a tendon sprain for a week. If doesn't get better have to return in 7 days. Any comments?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I thought they could do anything for broken toes? Last year, I thought I broke mine, not purple, but hurt. GF nurse told me to just waited it out. But I imagine, it varies from person.

Closed Thread