It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
(male)

donna1805 HB User
problems from bunion surgery almost two years ago

Hi,
I had bunion surgery 2 years ago this July. Two days after surgery it was severly infected. I had to stay in the hospital and had to have a PIC-line (home IV) for three weeks afterwards. In October of that year, the surgeon went back in and removed the screws because I was still experiencing burning pain.
To this day, my toe and the area where the bunion was are still very swollen - permanently. Alot of the time, it feels like my toe is broken and I limp on it. There is alot of pain at the joint where the surgeon cut the bone, and there is pain (like you get when you step on a small rock) underneath the ball of my foot when I walk.
I tried doing therapy at home, but that just made it completely unbearable.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

-Donna

Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
(female)

ldevost HB User
Re: problems from bunion surgery almost two years ago

yes I do have tha same problems I hope to find a miracle cure for this pain.
I am working as a waitress still 3 more years to go and some nights when I get home from the pain is so severe under the ball of foot that I can barley walk.
If you find a way to relief this pain please let me know medication do not agree with my stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

jpsumner HB User

Have you gotten a second opinion from another doctor? Two years is a long time to be in pain from swelling.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
(female)

kimberjo HB User

unbelievable....here is what happen to me...told everyone i am getting a bunionectomy they said oh my you will have all kinds of pins and things coming out of your foot!! i said no!! my doctor said this is such an easy and quick surgery!!! well my friends were right!! i do believe a bunionectomy the correct way should have pins holding bones in the right place until you heal. if not things heal all wrong!! needless to say i too have severe pain and its been almost 2 years for me. on april 5, 2011 i am going in and having corrective surgery!!! i am now going to an orthopedic surgeon who should of been the type of doctor who did my first surgery!! so now i will have a metal plate and pins and a tendon from my inner thigh will be put in where there is bone against bone in my big toe!! what a nightmare!!!!!!! i will be out estimated time is july 17,2011. i will only be collecting disability income which is $130.00 a week not even enuf to pay my rent. i am told statue of limitations is 1 year from the last date that i saw the doctor who messed my foot up, so i cannot sue him or I would. i did get the american medical association involved. i have recieved 1 letter from them basically asking for me to tell them my story which i did. i am in such pain everyday and have only been able to get a flat tennis shoe on my foot. i am in severe pain everyday. how terrible for this to happen when i was told what an easy and simple surgery it was!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

Unfortunately, everyone's result from surgery is not the same and the decision to do surgery should not be taken lightly. Also, some patients have different pain levels. Anyone who is told surgery is "simple and easy" without being told the downsides should find another dr or surgeon.

Donna, you need to get your dr to try different medications for you. May work or not but at least try. The permanent swelling is not unusual for your type of surgery.

Closed Thread