It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Cool 3 Months Post Op PTTD

As of yesterday I am now 3 months post op from my surgery. I've started walking around the house on my own and I take one crutch when I go out because the shoe the doctor gave me really works my ankle and fights the atrophy. I still go to PT twice a week and now that finals are over I hope to swim at least 2-3 times a week. So far I enjoy going up stairs though it doesn't look very coordinated. I have trouble putting my weight on my toes and fully rolling my foot/ankle as I walk but it gets easier each day. I rarely take anything for the pain/discomfort and my scars look pretty spectacular but I will still be working on them. I do wonder when I'll feel comfortable enough to get a massage or something. I saw my doctor three days ago and he says I really need to put stress on my leg now to stop the bone atrophy that has started. I'm not really worried about it being a problem but I think going to NY will help. I've learned to ice more and it helps with the swelling I don't realize is happening. My PT is wonderful and encouraging and thinks the leg looks good. I've set a goal of being ready for the next surgery in July which is also when I'm supposed to see my doctor again. He thinks its possible but he'll see me before to make sure. There have been some tough times but I actually feel that with the progress I made since getting my cast off April 1st I think its realistic and possible to get to that point. I hate that it'll be my right foot but we can't have two left feet and drive all the time. My sister will come up to help me out because at first it was stressful with who I had helping me. I don't think there's anything more I can tell you to get you up to speed. Oh! Non carpet floors are cold! & I am happy to have survived a semester at college like this but I'm glad the next one will be before I have to go back. I'll post another update when I get my Wii and when I hit the 4 month mark.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
Re: 3 Months Post Op PTTD

I want to hear about this shoe that is helping you. And did I read right that you have to have this done to the other foot? Please tell me it's not so? I'm already freaking out for you. I can't imagine doing this again. The wii fit is pretty awesome I tried the balance thing today. Hurt like a bugger but had to try.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Yeah, hopefully round 2 mid July. My left foot was worse, but my right foot hurt more when I first saw my doctor. I was hoping it wouldn't hurt, but I'm still in pain and I'd rather get this taken care of before needing a fusion of some sort. I can't imagine doing it again and going to school which is why I'm gunning for the summer. Also I've been lazy and drove to school, but I can't drive if it goes too long. I hope maybe to be living near campus so I can take public transportation without it taking me 2 hours to get from my house to class.

My shoe was given to me by the doctor and I've forgotten what it is called. Its just a post op surgical shoe that is velcro and looks like it encourages more ankle use and its training me to put more pressure on my toes. Its black and that goes so much better with my clothes than that huge grey boot. I welcome the change because it makes me get better instead of staying in a safe zone. Looking online it doesn't look expensive.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWalker View Post
I do wonder when I'll feel comfortable enough to get a massage or something.

Did this give anyone else the heebie jeebies? Whenever I read about you all doing PT and imagine someone touching my foot, it creeps me out! I don't know why, but I think I'm afraid if someone touches it, they'll break it. Apparently the trauma of this surgery is not limited to my poor foot.

WorldWalker, I'm so happy you're doing so well and so sad you have to do this again. So soon!

I hope your fabulous weekend in New York was amazing and your foot held up!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

worldwalker: so you will be about 5 months post op when you do your other foot? I was 7 months when I did mine. Just know that you will be putting all of your weight on that first foot so be sure you are ready. But when is anyone really "ready" for round 2? Are we insane? My plan was to "get this over with" so I don't regret it.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I may not have the money to go through with the second foot or even school. Its a tough situation because the pain makes the idea of work just as tough as facing round two and I don't want to work on a painful foot and need a fusion. 'But I'm going to see him before surgery and we'll make sure I'm ready in 5 months, but I've been in NYC since Monday and I'm really improving. I even bought a pair of shoes that match! (I had been wearing one beat up horrible Nike and one nice tennis shoe that fit) I'm gonna say Kangaroo shoes are pretty good. I got them half a size up for swelling and they seem ok even on my non surgical foot. I just hope I'll have the money for the surgery by then. I'm kinda freaking about that.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

one day at a time worldlwalker...........one step at at time....it will all work out

Closed Thread