It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

kathall HB User
Triple Arthrodesis

Hi,
I'm scheduled for a Triple Arthrodesis June 11 and and am scared to death about the whole thing. I've learned a lot from reading and rereading all the posts. My doctor says NWB for 2 months and then a walking boot if all goes well. Does that mean I will be able to walk without crutches,etc. Will I be able to start teaching when school starts up August 24? How exactly will I get around at that point. Any advice and encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: Triple Arthrodesis

when you get the boot....you will still be on crutches until you can put full weight on it. i started at 50lbs and added 25lbs a week until you are at your full weight, then you ditch the crutches. you will be able to go back to teaching, but may still be on crutches.....but at that point should feel pretty good.

i had surgery may 9th last year, went back to work aug 1 on crutches and boot. off crutches sept 3rd out of boot mid october.

shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Hi kathall

If I may ask...how young and fit are you? I had my triple Jan 15 and have been full weight bearing for probably a month but still must use a walker (and my hands hurt)as the pain and stiffness in my foot does not yet allow me to walk alone. The surgeon and pt have said it is slower if you are older (quicker if very fit and very thin...ie a runner b4 surgery) I used to teach (12 years in H.S.) and honestly could not have gone back at 3 mos. You should be able to collect disability until the doctor clears you to return to work

Hugs, Shelly

Old 05-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

kathall HB User

Thanks for replying. I'm 54 and have arthritis in my hips so that will definitely slow me down. I'm 5' 10 and weigh about 180. Right now I'm trying to talk myself out of going through with the surgery, trying to convince myself that maybe my foot doesn't hurt that much just sometimes and I can get by without the TA. My objective is to be able to walk distances without my foot hurting so that I can exercise more. Your recovery seems to be going well. I'm hoping and praying mine will also.

Last edited by kathall; 05-20-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: misspelled word

The Following User Says Thank You to kathall For This Useful Post:
CgrBuff (06-21-2012)
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Hi Kathall,
I'm a teacher, 56, not in good shape (meaning not at all thin) had TA Sept 2, 08. Didn't go back until Jan. but began walking Dec., slowly building up to full weight. My surgeon told me it would be 12 weeks non-weight, 16 to reasonable movement which was almost exactly my situation. I wasn't able to use crutches which held up the process a bit as did the knee I had replaced 3 mos. before the foot. But now...I'm so glad I did it. I feel like I have regained a mobility that had slowly crept away. In fact, in the spring of '06, I had to take medical leave because I couldn't stand the pain in my foot. It was a long road back for me because I needed the knees replaced before the foot surgery. Now that it's all done, well, I wore sandals to work today. Hadn't done that in over 10 years. It's not easy but I have to say it was worth it. It's very different for everyone and I held out for about 5 years in serious pain, 10 years in occasional pain. Now, I do have swelling (especially on a hot day where I'm on my feet a lot) but not the pain.
Whatever you decide, you'll be doing the right thing for you at the time.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

kathall, you will know when it is an absolute necessity to get it done when....1. you can't do what you want to anymore and 2. you can't sleep cuz of the pain. i got to the point where i was in a boot most of the time just to function and at night i would lay there and my foot would throb and ache all night.

i am happy i had it done. my right foot not at that point yet so i am holding off as long as i can. just had 2 of the 5 screws removed last week so now back on crutches but only for 1 more week.

shelley

Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
(female)

ptk54 HB User
Wink Re: Triple Arthrodesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathall View Post
Hi,
I'm scheduled for a Triple Arthrodesis June 11 and and am scared to death about the whole thing. I've learned a lot from reading and rereading all the posts. My doctor says NWB for 2 months and then a walking boot if all goes well. Does that mean I will be able to walk without crutches,etc. Will I be able to start teaching when school starts up August 24? How exactly will I get around at that point. Any advice and encouragement will be greatly appreciated.
I recently endured the same surgery that you will be having on June 11. I don't know about you, but I have endured a lot of surgeries in my lifetime. That helped to ease my stress, along with supportive family and friends.
As far as the surgery..it was done on outpatient basis and I couldn't ask for more of an understanding doctor and staff. There has been a lot of pain...I won't lie to you. In a few days, I go for my first follow up visit. At that time, the doctor will remove the stitches an place and clean dressing on my leg. Additionally, he will place me in a be going to my knee.
I know that will remove a lot of pain..I SURE can live w/out the the crutches!! I will still be flat on my beck for for about 8 week.
The other leg has to be have the same surgery after this one. Oh, boy! After all that is completed than I have to go to physical therapy.
I will tell this...I have had knee problems all of my life. I have seen one orthopedic after another and over a total of 10 surgeries on my knees during my life time. As soon as I woke up from the first arthrodesis completed, my knee did not hurt at all and NEVER has! My surgeon told me that all the pressure on my foot was probably causing the knee, hip, and back pain.
I hope that this calms your mind and that you look forward to the good outcome of this surgery! Good Luck and I will be praying for you!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
(female)

Daisynu HB User

Hello

I had a subtalar fusion at the age of 18, but although the pain stopped in one area, other areas became painful and my heel was sore when pressing on anything. 2 weeks ago (at 20yr) i had a talonavicular and calceanocuboid fusion also on my right foot as this is the wost one. My consultant hopes this will do the trick and he also removed the screw from the subtalar fusion as this is what he thought was causing the pain in the heel.

The next stage for me is next year if all turns out ok with the right foot then start on the left. But i know that although this is going to make them even stiffer than they already are due to tarsal coalition, the pain will hopefully be gone!

Closed Thread