It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User
took my first steps today after 10.5 weeks!

Hello foot friends!!!

So I took my first steps in P/T today!!! It HURT---but yet, I feel like I am moving forward. Its scary---b/c I have not had any problems with swelling---but let me tell ya, I DO have swelling now!!!

I worked with the actual P/T today----and not my PTA friend like I prefer---and of course, the P/T ( who has been wanting me to walk for weeks, but of course, I wasn't allowed per doctor's orders)--- I can tell, if it was up to her, I would be ditching the crutches by Friday---thats just how she is----but I already addressed that with my doctor, and he is in no hurry. So there you have it!!!

I go back to P/T tomorrow----so we will see who I get to work with----I actually had alot of pain today in P/T----and it was doing this one particular exercise-----it felt like i had a cramp inside my ankle----its hard to describe what I mean----but I can tell you, for me, who I really don't complain and tolerate pain fairly well----I almost cried. The P/T wasnt all that concerned---but you know---whatever----I wanna know what was causing that pain!!!!

And by the way----those of you that have screws-----all of a sudden, yesterday, BEFORE i walked i noticed a bruise on my heel, at the screw incision site---and I had not done anything to it---do you think its trying to back out???

Hope everyone is doing well----

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: took my first steps today after 10.5 weeks!

Congratulations, Tracie! I remember that day so well. It was the first day that I really believed I would walk again! Keep on making progress.

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

No clue about the bruise, but I'm glad I checked in to see how everyone is doing. I'm very happy for you! Set small goals and add to the progress as you go. TV and music really help to relax your home PT. Also I always find there's a certain point I get stuck with PT and I go to an appointment and suddenly I'm able to go a little biit further with it. I'm so happy for you.

Now that I think about it the bruising could be discoloration with the blood flowing back to your foot so rapidly. I have one on my shin which my doc said would probably go away in 4 months. I really hate it because it is much bigger than my birthmark and I don't like it but it seems to be fading now, but I still have another month before I'll ask about it again.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Tracie thats wonderful news. Does your PT person use what they call tools on your foot? Does your big toe hurt to bend in either direction? I'm full of questions today. Do they have you use the thera bands yet? How about rolling your foot on a frozen juce can? This one does feel good.
You will get lots of swelling, I went back to work and even though I am sitting with little movement my foot swells real good in the 4 hrs I'm there. Didn't have swelling much before. the more you move it the more blood flows, and more pain and swelling. Vicious cycle.
I tossed my one crutch. My shoulder is killing me and I'm scarred to death it may freeze up again.So I am walking yes walking around the house with a cane or the other crutch or from counter to counter. PT was pretty proud of me today walk in with just the one crutch. I am just ****** that the shoulder hurts that I WILL make this foot work. I was suprised I thought it would be more painful but it's not bad. Not totally pain free with full weight but I don't have a choice. I have a long way to go with getting ROM back and getting rid of the PF but it will come. Gotta go for now its 93 out and time to turn on the air conditioner.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Walleye: 93!? I leave for a few days and 93!?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Walleye------HHmmmm---I am gonna say, No, my P/T does not use tools on my feet-----but I am not really sure what that is----So i guess its still possible I do use them! LOL
My big toe does bother me some----it gets really tight---but they're working on all my toes too, b/c since the other transfer was done, all my toes are really tght and dont bend----I can pick up the lego's that they make me "play" with----but my toes are not actually "crunching" up---i can just manage to get a grasp on them and move them from one place to another.
I am using the therabands-----I am on level 3 right now. I do a bunch of other goofy exercises too-----but i guess they are working---I know my ROM has improved.

I am not the best P/T patient in the world----I try not to be crabby-----but I hate doing my exercises-----I DO them, dont get me wrong----I just hate it---I want it all to work NOW-----I want to walk and run and go places----I dont want to still have 2 crutches attached to my arms! And yesterday, I had to run into CVS after P/T and of course, had to use my crutches---well i couldnt carry what i was buying b/c of the crutches---and I hadnt thought to grab a cart-----so i was struggling----and just getting madder and madder! I finally got to a cart and would push the cart ahead, then walk, then push the cart ahead, then walk-----SLOOOOWWWWW process!!

I am going to try to make myself useful today----laundry and potty cleaning---the goal is to clean off he potty chair and get it back into storage ( i guess its mine now, it was my Nana's but she passed away this fall)----I just want to use a real potty again!! I think I can do it now----since I am walking.

Well---hope I answered all your questions Walleye!!! Good for you for going to one crutch-----Keep it up!!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Tracie, I didn't have tendon stuff done and my toes are tight and the big toe is the worst to try to bend. PT works on them and so do I. The one crutch thing sucks. I'm not ready for it but my shoulder can't take it. I can't tell you how bad the swelling and pain is and by noon wish my day was over with. I thought at this point we are suppose to be getting better not worse. It seems the more you are on it the worse it gets. Oh well------------
I hear you on wanting to be on with our lives NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Not trying to push a cart then try to catch up with it. Or how about using both hands for other things then hanging on to the crutches.
The tools are to help break up knots and promotes blood flow to where ever she is working on. It smarts but works. My foot is really touchy and needs to be stimulated more so I'm told. I am suppose to pick up a kleenix or marbleswith the toes, what a joke. Don't know if I could do it before.
Well if nothing else the weekend weather looks great. Hope you have a great holiday!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

congratulations wall. all the best to you and hang in there. debbie

Closed Thread