It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
18 weeks post triple arthrodesis and heel pain

I have been posting for a while...had TA Jan15. Surgeon says everything is going well (fusing)and said I can be full weight bearing and start to use cane.

However...I have s lot of heel pain weight bearing and my PT says I cannot move to cane (nor do I feel able) until I can walk without hanging on my walker because of pain. Surgeon says will probably need to remove a screw from my heel but cannot do for months yet as I must be completely fused

Question...can I get used to the pain enough to walk with a cane. Any ideas?

Shelly

Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: 18 weeks post triple arthrodesis and heel pain

have you tried a gel heel cusion? i remember having lots of pain in heel at first too when i started walking more out of boot. it went away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

[Question...can I get used to the pain enough to walk with a cane. Any ideas?
Shelly[/QUOTE]

You should not have to get "used to pain" in order to walk...........try the gel pads....are you in a boot?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

I still wear the boot when I go out ...sort of a protective mechanism. I wear some large New Balance (wide) sneakers with a spenco insert around the house or orthopedic sandels. Nothing is really comfortable...I seem to have a lot of swelling unless I spend the day reclining with my foot up.

Pt says I really should not try walking unaided until I can stand on the surgery foot for 30 seconds with the other foot raised. Heck, I haven't been able to do that for at least 20 years and still cannot on my good leg.(I am 61 years old) Part of the problem may be that I hurt the knee with the bad foot

I shall purchase gell heel pads in the next day or so...certainly wortha try.

Thanks for the advice

Shelly

Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Lovelylady, I just went to Dr. am post 11 wks. He took xrays and said everything looked good. He said I should try walking without crutches in boot. My balance is too bad so he said to start using one crutch then eventually go without. Also said I could use tennis shoe with crutches in the house. I can't fit into any of my tennis shoes so I will try the crocs. I still have pain but in my ankle area when I try to be full wb. Also get swelling in foot. I am just about same age as you and also have bad knees so I can understand. I can start pt but his protocal with pt is for non wb because he doesn't want to "screw up" his great work!! Any suggestions from you or others on how to get over fear of walking again. I think that is my problem. Take care, Mar

Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
(female)

it is a long process and hurts alot along the way but eventually feels better. my foot got to the point where i would have no pain while on a walk, the other one hurt like crap!!!!! so that's a good sign. it takes a while, be patient. after i came out of boot it took me 3 more months to feel awesome!
shelley

Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
(female)

i also wore a compression sock even after i came out of boot and into shoe for those 3-4 months after. i finally stopped swelling at month 8-9.
shelley

Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Shelley, Thanks for encouragement. I bought some crocs yesterday and was barely able to put my swollen foot in it but I did and walked around the house with crutches. I am back in the boot today and am trying to walk around the kitchen without my crutch. I am very unsteady and have a huge fear of falling so I am going to take it slowly. At least I do see some improvement in my mobility. I am also going to get some gel heel pads because it is still a little sore. Thanks again. Mar

Closed Thread