It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
(male)

Waldendad HB User
Question triple arthodesis - Which surgeon in NY is good?

I have "very severe" TN arthritis in one foot. Secondary to Prednisone use as a kid I am told (for Asthma). Its a the point where I can't walk more than 1/2 a mile without pain setting in and it only gets worse after that until its almost unbearable. I plan to get a second opinion in New York City where I suppose "the best" doctors are. Dr Steven Sheskier's name has come up. Anyone have any recomendations? Also, anyone heard of alternatives to this surgury? From the posts here is seems drastic with up to 8 weeks non-weight bearing? Shoot - can't imagine that. I'm an outdoors guy. What about these experimental only available out of the US cartilage stimulating drugs?

Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

lynnyl HB User
Re: triple arthodesis - Which surgeon in NY is good?

Hey Walden, I'm a New Yorker, and though there are many excellent doctors, many people swear by Hospital for Special Surgery, and then whatever doc there specializes in your condition. But then, they do specialize in surgery so of course they might be likely to recommend a fusion rather than an alternative treatment.
I had a foot fusion there in Feb. - not a triple - so not exactly same as you. The hospital was as good as could be, and my fusion is healing well. I was impressed by my doc's ability to discern and diagnose my own puzzling foot problem.
Are you certain you need a full triple fusion? Do your x-rays show any cartilage left to grow on?
lynny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

nycfoot HB User

Hi Lynnyl,
who was your doctor at HSS? I might need someone there too...I see there are a handful of very impressive foot docs there, just wondering if you had a specific recc. I might need surgery for a lisfranc injury.
Thanks much.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Ellis. I had no idea which surgeon to use, so I called HSS' physician referral service. I have no idea if he does that type of surgery, but I would recommend him to anyone.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
(male)

Waldendad HB User

[QUOTE=lynnyl;3991110]Hey Walden, I'm a New Yorker, and though there are many excellent doctors, many people swear by Hospital for Special Surgery, and then whatever doc there specializes in your condition. But then, they do specialize in surgery so of course they might be likely to recommend a fusion rather than an alternative treatment.
I had a foot fusion there in Feb. - not a triple - so not exactly same as you. The hospital was as good as could be, and my fusion is healing well. I was impressed by my doc's ability to discern and diagnose my own puzzling foot problem.
Are you certain you need a full triple fusion? Do your x-rays show any cartilage left to grow on?
lynny[/QUOTE]

Well, the podiatrist I saw said "your joint space is GONE!" which I take to mean that there is no cartilage. But that's another reason for this second opinion. Thanks for the HSS recomendation. I will at least keep it in mine as I see Sheskier, who two docs in the business recomended to me. What kind of recovery are you dealing with. How long for non weight bearing?

Last edited by Waldendad; 05-22-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: I hit reply too early! Hadn't typed yet!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Waldendad, I envy your two prof'l references. Go for it. I had no joint space either, which oddly makes it difficult to see any fusion on the post-op-x-rays, but pain is gone! I had 3 screws put in with bone graft, my own. Only 6 wks nwb, about 6 more to walk device-free. Good luck. Keep us posted on what he recommends.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
(male)

Waldendad HB User

I had the surgery 5 weeks ago and have another 5 weeks NWB to go. Hope its all worth it! I am using a iWalkFree crutch with pretty good results. Are you still walking pain free? How long did the full rehab take?

Last edited by moderator2; 01-18-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 01-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Good for you that the surgery's behind you and went well. This sure has been a bitter and blustery winter and not so awful to be indoors. How is your "good" foot holding up? Great about the knee crutch - wish I'd tried that. Are there pirate jokes, or is everyone sympathetic?

I've had a successful recovery with slow improvement gradually over many months. I only had a single fusion, so no formal rehab, 6 weeks from permission to partial WB until FWB.. The foot is a bit stiff at 11 months post, and my screws stayed in and they annoy me a little, but my pre-surgery pain level was a 7 or 8 and I had to walk with a cane, so I am definitely much better and no regrets. Thanks for asking.

Weirdly, I looked at this site today because I must have screwed up my fused-foot ankle somehow and have a wicked pain shooting up the front. My first real trouble to date. I forget that the foot doesn't turn to accommodate uneven ground. So it's back to putting my foot on the pillows for a few days!

You are halfway there, and the rest will go by quickly. Good luck.

Last edited by lynnyl; 01-18-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: to answer Q about full rehab

Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
(male)

Waldendad HB User

I've heard all the pirate and other jokes. YOu are confirming what I've heard from others - that the recovery is significant. Good luck with yours!

Closed Thread