It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
Swelling and Pain what to do????

Well going back to work for 4 hrs a day has turned into a painful and swollen affair. By 2 1/2 hrs into my work day my foot wants to crawl out of my shoe. I sit at my desk, not up walking around. By the time I get home I am in so much pain I don't want to put any weight on the foot all. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
My god I am suprised anyone wants to be around me, I am so bitchy from all this. The more pain I'm in the worse I get. Hubby's been a saint, kinda just smiles and tells me it'll get better.gRRRRRRRRR. Sure is not what I want to hear, but he's probably right. I don't get why the swelling now. I try to do more exercises ROM or just plain moving it but it doesn't help. Ignoring it doesn't help either. If I stay off it no problem, but thats not going to get it better. Is there a better way to approach this?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Swelling and Pain what to do????

wall, do you prop it up at all? When I first started working at my desk again (fortunately I work out of my home) I would put my foot on my desk on a pillow and put my keyboard in my lap. I would put my chair at it's highest height. As I progressed I would turn my garbage can upside down under my desk and put a pillow on it and prop it on the pillow. Even if it's not "toes over nose" it's better than hanging down. I know it's frustrating.

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Emmie,
There isn't room in my office to put it up on the desk, but I could try the trash basket. I am only going to do 4 hrs day again this week although the doc said 6. I am listening to the pain not him on this one. Have been trying to walk around the kitchen without out any support. Do good for a while the BAM pain everywhere. Maybe too soon, but its always worth the try. Its 11 weeks today. There is still stiffness in the up down motions of the foot. Doing my stretches and using it as much as I can stand. I was start out in the morning with high hopes and by the end of the day miserable and cranky from trying to much. What a viciuos cycle.
Well hope everyone had great weather this weekend and a safe holiday.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Ugh---Walleye----I feel so bad for you! I hope you start to have some improvement soon----though I totally know how you feel---as far as this whole thing being a viscious cycle-----I have had an incredibly busy weekend---and was on my foot quite a bit yesterday---and let me just tell you----the swelling was incredible!!!! it still has not gone down completely. and I am sitting with it propped up, not moving today.

Well----I have to go to work on Friday----I plan on using my knee walker, as I work in downtown, and even with parking in the lot behind my building, its not exactly a hop, skip, and a jump to my floor------now the goal, is that I am going in to test my equipment and then they will load it into my vehicle and I will get to go home---and I will not be permanently working from home---but the IT people in my office, that have to handle this for me are not the most reliable people in the world----so I am hoping they have everything ready to go----b/c I have been on short term, its company policy that they can't "discuss" anything with me ( the IT people) even if I called them to ask them if they have my stuff ready----so I am kind of flying by the seat of my pants on this one!!!!

well good luck this week Walleye----I hope you find some improvement! Try the trash basket thing----I actually had a fabulous manager after my first zsurgery---and she had a foot stool that she loaned me that was the perfect height-----and I put a pillow on it, and I was comfortable-----just play with what you have----take supplies from home if you have to----and see what you can come up with!!
Good luck!!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

walleye: can you take a break and ice at all? I know that sounds like a pain but maybe? What are you wearing for shoes these days?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

walleye, I just put my leg on the desk I work on. Granted you have to be a little acrobatic but no additional room is required, just the width of your leg. I put my keyboard in my lap most of the time but not always.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Hi footie freinds,
I have been now using an upside down trash basket at work. I have been now experiencing horrid stabbing in the heal bone, it feels like someone is running a drill into the heal. I haven't a clue way it started but its been hanging around for a week now. I thought it was just one more phase I got to go thru. I dread walking for the pain and then the earth grabbing pain when I sit and rest it. I am now at the point I really wish I hadn't had the surgery. I am in more pain now than before and I don't know why. PT said my achillies tendon is not good right now, but my ROM has improved by leaps Something is going good. I am still using one crutch, I don't think I could walk unassisted for a whole block before I'd buckle from the pain. My reg doc refilled the perocet and wants my to try Gabapentin hoping this one will help with the nerve pain. One can one hope it helps. Sorry I seem to be complaining but I hope you all understand.
The other day I put together 12 hanging flower baskets all from a chair outside and had the best time of my life doing it. Something I could do with out help. See happiness. It will come! I just have to wait. Its been 11 weeks post op I guess running is out of the questions yet?
The shoes I wear are New Balance, I use orthothics with them. I see the surgeon next wed. Can't wait to see what the guy will have to say. I'm bringing all paperwork from PT (He didn't think I needed it) so he can see whats been done. Thanks all.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

I am feeling bad for you. I know how terrible the nerve pain can be. It is sad to hear you say you wish you would have never had the surgery. You see the doc in a week? Hang in there and be proud of your hanging baskets......looking out at my flowers makes me feel better.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
(female)

mary2 HB User

Walleye, I can only imagine the pain you are feeling. It has now been a few days and I hope you are a little better at least. And if not let loose with a lot of complaining......Wish I had some ideas for you....breathe through the pain.... Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Just a question-are you wearing any type of compression stocking? I have found that to be as much help as icing and elevation for swelling. When I first received my boot after my TA, my surgeon had me wear these elastic tubes that they cut to go from my toes to knee. I wore them constantly for the first two months I was out of the cast. And always when I returned to work. I now wear support knee-hi's and notice a great difference when I go without, especially as the warm weather has come on. Granted, they are hot and not always the most comfortable but they have really helped me. As a two time knee-replacement patient who was urged to wear Tedds throughout my recovery, I've really come to see the difference they can make and have made with my TA recovery. Also, I was about 16 weeks out when I was able to walk without much pain. About 20 when I walked without the cane some times.

The transition back to work is a tough one and I had to wait a full 16 weeks because my job requires so much walking. Hope things get better with you soon!!
Linda

Old 05-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Hi Footie Friends,
I did start wearing the compression sock. It helps but it still feels like it's trying to crawl out, the swollen foot that is. I am working on walking without any type of aids. Its tough on the knees and hips as I am limping not walking. And then the little guy that lives in my heel bone starts drilling, I could curl up and die from the pain. I really thinks it the screws that is casuing all of this. So today I decide I couldn't wait another day to not ride my motorcycle. Took it out for a couple of hours wow it was great. The hubby and daughter rode together so the 3 of us had a great time. Sure was windy. I was totally happy. I found out that down shifting was a little tricky the foot didn't bend too good but I managed. Of course now they are talking rain for the week. Figures I want to ride the motorcycle.
I was hoping to be pain free and walking like a normal person by 12 weeks which is Monday, but not so and from others it will be awhile yet. Thanks all.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

WOOOHHOOOOO!!!! YOu go Walleye!!!!! Ride that motorcycle!!!!!

I am right there with you on the "where you wanted to be" at 12 weeks post-op!!!! We are 3 days apart----i was 12 weeks Friday---and here I am still tripping along with my crutches-----and knee walker----and of course, its per the doctor----but let me tell you----I am FINALLY beginning to understand what you mean about the little fella in your heel who continues to drill!!!!! It hurts like the devil walking on this heel!!! What is up with that?!

So I started working from home today----how is your work going? Are you still just doing 6 hours a day?? I must say----I cannot imagine what it would be like if I had to go into the office each day-----its even hard now just being at home. I am sitting at a desk--but if I need to, I can un-dock my laptop and work from the recliner or bed. Whatever I am comfortable with.

Well I hope you had a good day---I start back to 3 day a week p/t this week---I missed all of last week due to the excitement of the engagement and getting ready to return to work, not to mention doctor's appointments.

Talk to you soon

Old 06-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Hi all,
Tracie yes we are only 3 days apart. You had far more done to that foot than I did, but had the same heel thing done. And I don't know what to do with the little guy and his drill, but I wish like hell he'd stop it hurts!!!!!!! I am hoping to find out tomorrow what's up with the drilling guy at my appt.
I am doing 8 hrs at work and its not pretty,( short term doesn't pay for crap) I have forwarned the guy I share an office with that I could and will be extremely bitchy when the pain is too much and I may cry. And if I do you may need to drive me home. I'm not a cryer but when pain takes over my life I ball like a baby and uncontrolably. He kinda looked at me like are you for real? Thiink I may have scared him.!!!! Well he got a small dose of the bitchy me today and the harder you try not to be cranky/bitchy the worse you get. Hench the pain meds which someday I won't have to take.good thing it was later in the day. I went to the pool that felt good, I wear the compression sock but it still feels like it wants to escape. The swelling is sooooo much worse now that I'm on it so much more. I have a double E shoe that is so tight I can hardly stand it. I tried to put the leg/foot up on the desk today that sucks, I want my recliner and 4 pillows. PT wants me to stand on the surgical foot for 30 seconds. Ok I got 10 seconds and wow for pain. I have lots of work ahead of me on this foot. I'll post what my do say tomorrow. Here's my predicition: Things look great keep moving it. Pain oh you shouldn't be having any. haha!!!!!! and dump the crutches and cane. walk on it.....

Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

I think you are brave and strong to go through this. All of us footies are! I hope in a few weeks (or less) this will all be a memory and things will be going better. I am feeling your pain as I write this (sympathy pain) in the heel. I know when I started WB with my first foot surgery, it was hell but I hardly (haha) remember it now. Let us know what doc says.............

Closed Thread