It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
Shoes after triple arthrodesis

I had my triple Jan 15. Surgeon says to wear what ever feels good now. However, nothing feels good! I take my pain meds every 4 hours like clockwork now.

With my big black boot still on I can hobble around unaided, Barefoot I can hobble unaided. With any shoe I need a cane or walker (HUH?) and am in pain. I had a big foot to begin with...wore a 10 wide woman's shoe. Had so many problems with my feet all my shoes were of the comfort variety. I bought a pair of men's new balance 11 www and the surgeon said perfect (she had a spenco arch support added). Problem is that I cannot walk very much with them on except with the walker or a cane for a short distance. I tried my Finn Comfort adjustable sandels. (velcro) tried Birkenstocks...same as Finn comfort.. a little better but not much. I tried SAS sandels I had but they were the worst. I find my self afraid to leave the house without the boot. I do not think Crocs will be wide enough for my swollen foot.
Any suggestions?

Shelly

Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
(female)

darby3451 HB User
Re: Shoes after triple arthrodesis

Hi lovelyladi,

I can really identify. I had my triple arthrodesis on Feb. 3. Who thought the boot would become my security blanket! I can walk okay with the boot but have lots of pain on the outside of the foot when going barefoot or wearing shoes. I mostly wear my hiking boots. I didn't have any pain for the first 3 months and walking in the boot was okay (partial weightbearing) but in a shoe, its a different story! The foot swells alot but I wear a compression sock and that really helps. However, I won't want to wear that when it gets really hot out. My OS said I wouldn't need PT but I am going anyways - I think they may suggest some strengthening/stretching exercises for me. I have used more ice this past week than I did for the first 3 months! At least I can drive the car now (it is my right foot) - having that independence back has been wonderful. I hope you find something that works for you.

darby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
(male)

half step HB User

I haven't had my ankle fused yet, possibly very soon though. I did sustain a very bad ankle break about 6 years ago and broke my talus. It since has died and collapsed. It has collasped to the point that I have very little movement in my ankle. I know there is a difference between a little movement and none. Most of my movement is with the forefoot. I would say that I have less than 10% mevement left. What has helped me is getting custom insoles. Without them, I can't make it but a half of a day. They will make a huge difference. Also, I wear boots a lot. I usually wear rocky and they seem to hold up really well. My foot is tilted so that I put all my weight on the outside of my foot. I can't walk barefoot very well at all. Besides that, I have trained myself to walk differently. Although I can walk in a manner that looks normal, (If you didn't know it, you couldn't tell that I have a bad ankle) , I actually have a modified step that allows me to reduce most of any movement. I propel myself with my left (good) foot and roll over the right ( bad) foot. My bad foot and leg work against the natural ankle movement. As I step with the bad foot, I start with my leg and knee slightly bent and straighten it as I roll over. This allows me to keep my ankle posted and stable. I have mastered it and it looks near normal but works completely opposite. Besides your long recovery for getting over fusion and the pain associated with it, you will just have to practice. Get some good custom insoles or shoes/boots and practice is about all you can do. Even though it hurts to walk, in time the foot will get use to your new walking style and not hurt near as much. Good luck

Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Hi Darby...

sounds like we are at about the same point in recovery. I am 61 yo and do not have the best knees any more and that may be slowing things down. I do have a lot of swelling. didn't need pain meds at all while in the cast for 11 weeks. I may try to buy some men's hiking boots (wider than women's) and see if that works. My hands are sore and calloused from using the walker...I would like to be able to just use a cane.

Half step....I am sure that my walking style will never be "normal" I plan on getting some custom insoles once my healing is a bit more completed and a little less swelling. Great idea!

Keep those ideas coming folks.....my foot hurts and I am icing as I type

Shellu

Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

shelly, i wore my crocs for a long time after i came out of boot. and my normal running shoes but unlaced real wide. just go shoe shopping (oh darn) and try on tons of dif shoes.

shelley

Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Hi Shelly,
My ice pack is still my friend, too. I've had good luck with a pair of Propet shoes, but I agree with Shelley that you've got to try on a LOT of shoes to even find one pair you can live with. Also try different gel insoles, athletic insoles, a variety until you find which one suits your new arch. Right now I'm stuck in a pair of 2-wide black tie-on walkers -- so no hope of wearing a sundress with these monsters any time soon! Good to hear you are up and moving. Lynny

Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
(male)

half step HB User

lovelyladi, after I had suggery on my ankle, it swelled a lot. My chirocpractor was big into contact reflex analization and gave me some salt pills called
cal-amo. It is made by standard proccess. I took them and the swelling went down over night. He said that salt regulates the moisture in the body and when you get low on certain salts, it is hard for your body to help with the swelling. He said table salt won't help. It needs to be an acidic salt. Anyways, it greatly helped me and kept my foot from swelling. You might want to check it out. Just a suggestion. When my swelling was gone, my ankle felt alot better and didn't throb and feel heavy.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Thanks foot buddies...great ideas!

Half Step...where can I get the salt pills? Definitely worth a try! I too notice that the pain largely goes away with the swelling

Lynny...I have heard of propet shoes, may have to order them on line

Shelly...do you think the crocs will be wide enough? Any special style of croc? They are inexpensive and worth a try if I can fit into them

Thanks for all your good thoughts

Shelly

Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

shelly, i have a women's 11 foot, not real wide...but after surgery it was. and crocs fit wonderfully, and they are very cushy too. they are only $30 so not too bad.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
(male)

half step HB User

lovelyladi, you can get the cal-amo at * link to commercial website removed by hb-mod, moderator *
for $11. This is 90 pills. They worked magic for me. The results were quick. Maybe they will do you some good. Let me know if you decide to try them and if they worked for you.

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-29-2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact info, links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Hi Half step

I will find the pills...I live in southern California....lots of nutrition shops etc.

What dosage did you take?

Shelly

Old 05-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
(male)

half step HB User

Hello Lovelyladi, I took 3 pills a day for a week and then went down to 1 pill a day. When the bottle was emty, I didn't have to take any more. It can be varied accordiing to how your swelling is doing. Standard process inc. makes some really good stuff. I use to lift weights and I developed tendonitis in my elbows. I never could get rid of it. It was bad enough that I couldn't touch my elbows without pain. I told my chiropractor and he gave me some stuff made by the same company called cataplex acp. At the time, I thought this won't work, I have tried everything under the sun for tendonitis. I took the pills home and started taking them. It called for 9 pills a day. When I woke up the next day, I couldn't believe how much better my elbows felt. 3 days later, I had no pain in my elbows and have been fine since. It didn't mask the pain, instead it healed the connective tissue. I have taken several different things from this company with outstanding results. They are designed to heal specific problems.

Last edited by half step; 05-29-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
(male)

dave11014 HB Userdave11014 HB User

How is your foot know? I am just getting back in shoes today actually and its quite scarry! How long before the pain gets bearable? how old are you I am 48?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
(female)

darby3451 HB User

Hi Dave11014, The pain DOES eventually go away. I would say it took a whole year for the healing process and the area of pain would change as the healing took place. The most frustrating pain for me was the outside of the foot but eventually that went away too. I wore shoes with good support like a running shoe but around the house I didn't necessarily wear shoes but kept a tensor bandage on the foot. My foot was injured in an accident and I waited 30 years to have the surgery, living with various degrees of pain in those years. I still need to have ankle replacement surgery but hope to put that off for a few more years as the arthrodesis has given more stability to the foot and ankle joint and so I can tolerate the ankle discomfort for now. I am in my early 50's and am glad to have the surgery over with rather than waiting as the recovery process would be more difficult the older one gets. So, don't give up hope. It will feel better with time.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Dave, yes, the pain subsides and the foot gets a little stronger every day. I had the same experience as Darby where the pain moved around. I guess the whole foot is readjusting and your brain is figuring out how to walk on it. It will help to continue to baby your foot somewhat-- maybe thick socks, different pads in your shoes, put your shoes off and on, ice. Walk a bit more one day then ease off the next. You'll get through and you'll be amazed how it heals.

Closed Thread